Expedia - Alitalia Name Change

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 20, 2016
Hi,

I purchased an Alitalia ticket through Expedia in September and in October it hit me that I bought it on my married name, where is my passport is in my maiden name (my green card, however, is on my married name, but I know that the ticket must match your passport). I have been trying to fix it since, but Alitalia send me to Expedia (because I did not buy it directly though them), and Expedia is telling me that all this time they have been working with the airline to get a waiver, which they still do not have. The trip is in two days and I am very anxious, I spent a lot of money to go home, where I have not been for two and a half years, and I am really scared we will not get on.

Do you think I will have any luck at the counter at the airport the day of?

Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you in advance!!!

Feb 9, 2016
Hi,

I purchased an Alitalia ticket through Expedia in September and in October it hit me that I bought it on my married name, where is my passport is in my maiden name (my green card, however, is on my married name, but I know that the ticket must match your passport). I have been trying to fix it since, but Alitalia send me to Expedia (because I did not buy it directly though them), and Expedia is telling me that all this time they have been working with the airline to get a waiver, which they still do not have. The trip is in two days and I am very anxious, I spent a lot of money to go home, where I have not been for two and a half years, and I am really scared we will not get on.

Do you think I will have any luck at the counter at the airport the day of?

Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you in advance!!!
I would call Allitalia and ask them a what if - what if I bought the ticket in my married name, then got divorced and then reverted back to your maiden name and changed corresponding documentation. See what they say.

In general there is a $200 change fee per ticket. If allitalia says they will charge you on the phone I would hang up and start emailing. Start with customer service and be nice and be complimentary about the airline and comment that they have been helpful, before and can they help now. If the CS agent says 'sorry, no can do' go up one level to the first executive.

Were you in the middle of chaos when you booked the ticket? We're you stressed because of the divorce? (throw that in) did you book while you were married and then get divorced? (throw that in)

Just be super nice and ask them to please change it for you and/or is there anything they can do.

Good luck!

Jul 27, 2016
I would call Allitalia and ask them a what if - what if I bought the ticket in my married name, then got divorced and then reverted back to your maiden name and changed corresponding documentation. See what they say.

In general there is a $200 change fee per ticket. If allitalia says they will charge you on the phone I would hang up and start emailing. Start with customer service and be nice and be complimentary about the airline and comment that they have been helpful, before and can they help now. If the CS agent says 'sorry, no can do' go up one level to the first executive.

Were you in the middle of chaos when you booked the ticket? We're you stressed because of the divorce? (throw that in) did you book while you were married and then get divorced? (throw that in)

Just be super nice and ask them to please change it for you and/or is there anything they can do.

Good luck!
Why do you think the OP has gotten divorced? I would assume that the OP, holding a foreign passport but living in the US, has updated her green card with her married name, but hasn't updated her foreign-issued passport yet.

OP, do you have a marriage license, or anything that shows the name change?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Why do you think the OP has gotten divorced? I would assume that the OP, holding a foreign passport but living in the US, has updated her green card with her married name, but hasn't updated her foreign-issued passport yet.

OP, do you have a marriage license, or anything that shows the name change?
I second that assessment. I feel that by mentioning the passport is in her maiden name and the airline ticket is in her married name, that the OP recently married. The green card is in her married name because she married a US Citizen?

@dashaka, if you cannot sort this out before the day of departure, plan to be at the airport very very early so you can calmly sort this out with an agent. You do not want to be in a situation where they need to check other passengers in and run out of time before they close the gate. As @Just A Guy mentioned, if you have a marriage license (with official stamp) I would bring that with you so that you can "link" your name on your passport with your name on your airline ticket.

Feb 9, 2016
Why do you think the OP has gotten divorced?
I second that assessment. The passport is in her maiden name and the airline ticket is in her married name. The green card is in her married name.
I'm not well versed in green cards plus passport situations. I did my best.....forgive me for potentially being wrong.....

can she go to the airport the day before and try and sort it out? what about right now? that's what I would want to do. going day of would be way stressful for me. what about writing the contacts now for Allitalia? You think that is a waste of time?

I do agree tho, if you have a marriage license and the timeline fits, going directly to the airport, with documentation, and apologies, is probably your best bet.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I'm not well versed in green cards plus passport situations. I did my best.....forgive me for potentially being wrong.....

can she go to the airport the day before and try and sort it out? what about right now? that's what I would want to do. going day of would be way stressful for me. what about writing the contacts now for Allitalia? You think that is a waste of time?

I do agree tho, if you have a marriage license and the timeline fits, going directly to the airport, with documentation, and apologies, is probably your best bet.
I agree with you, I would be going to the airport immediately. Writing may not prove useful since her scheduled departure is in two days. Not to mention the airline is putting this in Expedia's lap at this point. Best bet would be to work it out directly with the airline at the airport ASAP!

@dashaka are you close enough to the airport to handle this before your departure date?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Agree with all my colleagues ... beat it out to the airport right now! I believe SAS was offering some "reasons" to mention as to why your name is wrong ... anything will do ... and I think you're much better off dealing face-to-face at the airport. The concern is not so much the change fee, but the change fee coupled with any increased 'walk-up' fare which could be huge. PLEASE come back and tell us what happened!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Because you booked through Expedia, they are the ones that have to fix it.

And they can but it is going to cost you money- they need to book you a new ticket at today's cost which change fees. A name change cannot be done on a ticket more then 24 hours after you bought the ticket. I believe the waiver they are talking about is to waive the fees to fix it.

I agree you should go to the airport immediately but you should be prepared that you might have to buy a new ticket in a worst case scenario.

Please let us know what happens.

Dec 20, 2016
Everyone,

Thank you so much for so many replies!! I really appreciate everything you said!

First of all - unfortunately, I do not live close to the airport (JFK), I am actually on the West Coast, so the only option here is to go and try to figure it out as soon as we fly out to New York.

Second of all - Alitalia keeps redirecting me to Expedia, saying that they cannot help me in any way, since I bought the ticket through Expedia. Now, I did get an email about an hour ago from an Alitalia representative, saying "Because the last name is totally changed we must now build a new booking with obviously the same flights you are holding in the “incorrect” last name.
Being a very busy season, the same flights are now not available.
We have been able to confirm the Alitalia operated flights in the new booking with the correct name, but we are now waiting for our partner Aeroflot to clear the space on their flights.
Because of the time of the year, are experiencing some delays in receiving a reply, but we have escalated and will have this resolved before departure."

I am not completely sure what I am supposed to think about this haha
It sounds like Alitalia figured it out on their part, but because the second flight (layover in Milan) is operated by the Russian airlines (Aeroflot), they need to fix that on their side as well. I am a little confused. I emailed the lady who sent me this email, so fingers crossed I get an answer. I was thinking of calling Aerflot directly, asking them to, maybe, hurry up? In a polite way of course :D Would that be an okay thing to do?

Also, I checked online - Alitalia's website is still selling the exact same tickets?? So why is she telling me it is not available anymore??

Thank you so much again!!!

p.s. Yes, I did get married recently, hence the passport/green card thing! And yes, I do have all the paperwork - marriage certificate and license :D

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2016
I just got a reply from the lady, it says:
"Once SU shifts the space.
Expedia will issue a new ticket at the same fare you paid originally and refund in full the misspelled
The new ticket must be issued not later than tomorrow. We have all booked with correct name just we need last touch from SU."

Is she saying that I will have to buy a new ticket?? Do I even need to do anything, or is everything on their part?

Dec 20, 2016
Another update!

She just got back to me and said that I will have to pay the exact same fare one more time, however they will refund the original ticket. So basically I will pay, but not really, because they will refund it.

I am not really sure if this will go anywhere rather than just emails, but I sure hope so. Now I just need to find an extra thousand dollars for a few days :D

Dec 20, 2016
This is the best scenario you could hope for. Make sure you have the offer of a refund in writing!!!
This is a good idea!! Thank you for telling me about this! Should I ask them to write me an official paper that says it or would an email be enough?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
This is a good idea!! Thank you for telling me about this! Should I ask them to write me an official paper that says it or would an email be enough?
Email would be sufficient. You just want to have proof of the promised refund in case it does not show up on your credit card statement.

Nov 3, 2015
If you are running close to your limit on the credit card you're using, a phone call to the credit card folks can give you a credit override, where they allow you to charge more than your limit without a fee. Or they can give you a higher credit limit.

Otherwise, you might consider a short term personal loan from your bank or credit union, as the offer in front of you will save you far more than the loan cost.