Excess Charge for Burnt Clutch - Hertz Italy

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Sep 3, 2015
My wife, myself and another couple took a trip to Italy in late June and rented a car through Hertz.

After dinner one evening, the car would not go in reverse. We called Hertz, who sent a tow truck and sent us (the next morning) to a Hertz office in a nearby town to pick up a new car. When we got back to the airport to return the car, we were assessed a "collision excess" for the repairs - over 1800 Euros! There was no collision.

We disputed with our credit card company. Hertz replied to the dispute that we had a burnt clutch. They included the tow truck receipt, the mechanic's report, a photo of the clutch, etc., but no proof of any maintenance record prior to our rental. But they did admit - only after we disputed, mind you - that we were overcharged. They credited our account ~ 500 Euros. We're still on the hook for ~1300 Euros for the repair! For now, the credit card company is siding with Hertz; unless we provide additional documentation.

What can we provide? We obviously don't have photos of the transmission prior to our rental. We obviously didn't have a mechanic inspect the engine before accepting the rental. Shouldn't we be told when the car was last serviced? If this was not immediately before we rented, how can we be held liable?

Help!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2015
Start by writing to Hertz, put down the phone. When you write, tell them that you were never provided with the full details from what you were charged. Request the maintenance records for your vehicle prior to your rental. Also ask for usage logs if they are claiming loss of use. Then, also ask for a copy of all invoices to fix the vehicle.

I would also ask the credit card company to look at this again and ask if they have this information. If they do not have all of this information, it would seem they should request it before making a decision.

I think we need to know exactly which Hertz location you booked through. Most in Italy are company-owned but there are quite a few franchisees and licensees. That might make a difference in how to approach this problem.

Maybe you already know whether it was a company shop or not. Please let us know.

Reactions: jsn55
Sep 3, 2015
I'm fairly certain it was a company shop. The rental location was inside Malpensa (Milan) Airport. And the email reply we received was from a Hertz.com email address.

I'm fairly certain it was a company shop. The rental location was inside Malpensa (Milan) Airport. And the email reply we received was from a Hertz.com email address.
You're right, this one is a corporate location. The website states: "Location Type: Corporate"

Tanya's advice is correct. Everything should be in writing. Continue dealing with Hertz Corporate and your credit card company.

Reactions: Brian D.
Jan 8, 2015
Brian, you should continue to insist on maintenance records for the clutch. Assuming that the car probably had many thousands of miles on it, you should at most only be responsible for a percentage of the clutch wear. (your miles driven as a percentage out of total miles driven) The company cannot prove that people previous to you did not cause any wear on the clutch unless they pulled it regularly and took measurements.

Sep 3, 2015
Happy ending update!

The emails to executives, while copying the customer service address, worked like a charm. Hertz is reversing the excess charges.

Thank you all for your great advice and for the existence of this website. I'm very relieved this ordeal has come to an end.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Happy ending update!

The emails to executives, while copying the customer service address, worked like a charm. Hertz is reversing the excess charges.

Thank you all for your great advice and for the existence of this website. I'm very relieved this ordeal has come to an end.
Thank you letting us know, Brian - feels GREAT, doesn't it? You did a super job and I'm very happy we could help.

Reactions: AMA