European Travel Summer 2021

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 3, 2021
It has been in the news that the EU will permit travelers from the USA soon. I had a trip planned for Paris via Expedia in March 2020 that was cancelled. Should add, the Paris hotel sent me an email via Expedia stating it was cancelled and to contact Expedia for the refund. I also had the "trip insurance" so I have the credit with Expedia. Was considering using that credit in September, same trip. However I want "absolute" certainty travelers will not be required to quarantine for any period (I am vaccinated). Expedia has informed me that I need to use the same hotel. The hotel has a good rating but is not close to the main Paris attractions. Is there a way I can find out if train service/subway and taxi services are operating at or near full capacity? Without good public transportation I would need a rental car which I definitely do not prefer. Also wondering if it is within their rights for Expedia mandating that I have to use the same hotel?

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I would tell you to wait until there is an official announcement.
The airlines are selling tickets on flights that they know will not be able to take you. Expedia is telling you the ban will be lifted so please book ( not a chance they know anything about when this will happen).
You also have to factor in even if they do open things it could close while you are in Paris making it both hard and adding a nice expense to your trip. Or even stranding you there.
As for public transportation in Paris, I do not think it is the most Covid safe way to travel as social distancing is often not observed. But as you are vaccinated you might not be at risk. Though check time tables as some routes are not running all the times they used to.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexanderP
Feb 3, 2017
There really can't be any guarantees of any kind given how fluid this situation is - there is no way at this time to know the consequences of opening up more businesses/restaurants/etc just yet -- This virus has taught us all how it is unpredictable

Each EU country can also determine for their own whether to allow travelers from certain countries entry - They all want it to happen but....

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We just received this information - it really doesn't say much about what will be required:

France plans to reopen its borders to Americans and other non-European Union travelers starting June 9.

It’s part of a new four-step plan announced by President Emmanuel Macron late last week to reopen the country and revive its economy.

Foreign visitors will be required to present a health passport or “sanitary pass” that includes either proof that they've been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or proof of a negative PCR test taken recently.

However, this phase only happens if COVID-19 numbers are still under control after phase 1 of the reopening, which begins on May 3.

Also in the plan, outdoor terraces of France’s cafes and restaurants will be allowed to reopen on May 19 along with museums, cinemas, theaters and concert halls under certain conditions.

Restaurants and cafes will be able to serve customers outdoors at tables seating a maximum of six people starting May 19, when the nightly curfew will be pushed back to 9 p.m. Non-essential shops also reopen, as well as cultural sites and sport facilities, which will have occupancy limits of 800 people indoors and 1,000 outdoors.

“The measures will be national, but we will be able to activate ’emergency brakes’ in areas where the virus is circulating at too high a rate,” Macron told local newspapers.

Also on June 9, cafes and restaurants will be allowed to resume regular service until an 11 p.m. curfew. Events of up to 5,000 people will be allowed.

The final stage of the plan will see the end of the nighttime curfew and the lifting of most restrictions on June 30, although nightclubs will remain closed.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It has been in the news that the EU will permit travelers from the USA soon. I had a trip planned for Paris via Expedia in March 2020 that was cancelled. Should add, the Paris hotel sent me an email via Expedia stating it was cancelled and to contact Expedia for the refund. I also had the "trip insurance" so I have the credit with Expedia. Was considering using that credit in September, same trip. However I want "absolute" certainty travelers will not be required to quarantine for any period (I am vaccinated). Expedia has informed me that I need to use the same hotel. The hotel has a good rating but is not close to the main Paris attractions. Is there a way I can find out if train service/subway and taxi services are operating at or near full capacity? Without good public transportation I would need a rental car which I definitely do not prefer. Also wondering if it is within their rights for Expedia mandating that I have to use the same hotel?
Well, I understand your eagerness to rebook for Paris. Me too, I'll be heading to CDG the minute a mask is not required on the plane. There will never be any absolute certainty that you won't encounter problems. France could change the quarantine rules while you're already on the plane. It's all in the control ofthe bureaucrats and politicians.

I think you might nudge Expedia a little to see if you could book a different hotel. Others have more experience with online booking services and will probably know if it's possible. If you keep the original hotel, the Paris Metro is top-notch and you can get anywhere easily and quickly. At rush hour you'll still get there quickly, but the cars are mobbed. Under no circumstances rent a car and attempt to drive in Paris! The RER and metro go "everywhere" and they have excellent websites full of information.

I would snoop around FlyerTalk to see what others' experiences are as people start travelling again. I have posted the most outrageous questions on FlyerTalk forums and always gotten good responses. I've been to France probably two dozen times, so if you have questions, send me a private message.

Reactions: ADM and AlexanderP
May 3, 2021
Well, I understand your eagerness to rebook for Paris. Me too, I'll be heading to CDG the minute a mask is not required on the plane. There will never be any absolute certainty that you won't encounter problems. France could change the quarantine rules while you're already on the plane. It's all in the control ofthe bureaucrats and politicians.

I think you might nudge Expedia a little to see if you could book a different hotel. Others have more experience with online booking services and will probably know if it's possible. If you keep the original hotel, the Paris Metro is top-notch and you can get anywhere easily and quickly. At rush hour you'll still get there quickly, but the cars are mobbed. Under no circumstances rent a car and attempt to drive in Paris! The RER and metro go "everywhere" and they have excellent websites full of information.

I would snoop around FlyerTalk to see what others' experiences are as people start travelling again. I have posted the most outrageous questions on FlyerTalk forums and always gotten good responses. I've been to France probably two dozen times, so if you have questions, send me a private message.
Thank you JSN. Was thinking of using my credit to rebook a trip in mid September and again buy the insurance waiver. Just prior to the trip see how the situation is developing (hopefully it will continue to improve), if public transportation in Paris is running well and most venues continue to stay open, go for it. If not, then use the insurance. The main complication, per United Airline I must use the flight portion of my credit before March 2022?

Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You have plenty of time to use that credit. I would advise you to wait and see what happens this summer. We are advising all our clients to wait. We have travelers rebooked to travel this summer and I can’t tell you how uncomfortable the process is. Things change on a daily basis and what a country allows today can be changed tomorrow.

I highly advise waiting - travel is still in a major state of flux and you don’t want to have to deal with cancellations again.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you JSN. Was thinking of using my credit to rebook a trip in mid September and again buy the insurance waiver. Just prior to the trip see how the situation is developing (hopefully it will continue to improve), if public transportation in Paris is running well and most venues continue to stay open, go for it. If not, then use the insurance. The main complication, per United Airline I must use the flight portion of my credit before March 2022?
Here's hoping that things open up and stay open ...maybe the politicians and bureaucrats will go back to some meaningful work. September is usually a great month to travel in Europe ... but I've spent time in France in March and the weather was glorious ... sunny, cool and crisp. I think most all our airline credits have 2022 as the deadline ... seemed quite generous at the time, right? But they'll extend them if things continue to be a mess. Read the fine print to see if you have to travel by March 2022 or just book by then. Be thankful that your schedule is flexible enough to handle all this gracefully.

Reactions: ADM and AlexanderP

GAT

Apr 23, 2018
I absolutely agree with JSN55 that public transportation in Paris is non pareil. :) In addition to the Metro (surface and rail) and taxis, there is Uber, but not Lyft. Your North American Uber app and linked credit card works in France. But, if you're not physically restricted, once in the city, I'm confident you will want to walk. Paris is most enticing on foot, rain or shine and no matter what neighborhood.

Reactions: jsn55 and Comicman