Europe travel in January 2019

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 13, 2018
The only time family schedules align for us is January 2019. Does anyone have recommendations on the best value and best destinations to see in Europe at that time? Thank you...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We aren’t a travel agency here. It will be cold and off season in many countries such as Greece so you need to make sure you will still go someplace that has places open.

Northern Europe is probably you best best. How about Iceland - that’s the best season to see Northern Lights. London or Paris are also a good value.

Sep 19, 2015
As Neil mentioned, it is off season after the early January holidays in most places (aside from ski resorts), so if one goes to more seasonal summer resort areas, there may be a lot of closed businesses -- I am thinking of places like Santorini. Otherwise the airfares and hotel costs are generally lower.

Make allowances in your schedule for winter weather delays with air travel.

You need to think of what is best for your family. I went to Scandinavia once in December and I found the winter darkness and cold weather to be very depressing. But then I am not a fan of very cold weather. If your family likes snow, you have many options. If there are elderly people that are at risk of slips on icy sidewalks I would look at Southern Europe where it would likely not be freezing temperatures.

There are so many places to visit in Europe and they are very different; a good travel agent may be able to make helpful suggestions once you give them some information on your family and likes/dislikes.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'd spend my winter time in southern Italy, the French riviera, Spain and Portugal. We always travel off-season (not that far off tho!) and the lack of crowds is quite wonderful. You might research southern Germany as well. Do lots of reading and research to be sure the areas you want to visit don't just roll up the sidewalks after Christmas. TripAdvisor forums might be a good place to get personal suggestions. Be careful with your air arrangements, don't make connections in cities like Chicago or New York ... or any area that is subject to nasty blizzards.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Many if not most of the museums in smaller towns will be closed, as will shops, restaurants, and small hotels along coastlines. We went to Normandy in mid-February and about 80% of the small shops in the towns were closed "for the winter." The Paris museums were open but there were tours in English only about once or twice a week. Be prepared for very limited hours (only certain days of the week, closing at 3 pm, etc) , and read the websites of places you want to visit VERY carefully. On the plus side, it is great to be the only tourists around, because you don't have to elbow hordes of other tourists out of the way.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Many if not most of the museums in smaller towns will be closed, as will shops, restaurants, and small hotels along coastlines. We went to Normandy in mid-February and about 80% of the small shops in the towns were closed "for the winter." The Paris museums were open but there were tours in English only about once or twice a week. Be prepared for very limited hours (only certain days of the week, closing at 3 pm, etc) , and read the websites of places you want to visit VERY carefully. On the plus side, it is great to be the only tourists around, because you don't have to elbow hordes of other tourists out of the way.
You raise a good point, AMA. I always make a "calendar" of opening days and times for where we're travelling so things smoothly. As for my suggestion of "southern Germany", I do believe that would be the Alps, so not a good choice except for skiers.