Europcar administrative fee charges

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 19, 2019
As consequence, apparently, of requests made by the third parties/ local government authorities of Italy, Europcar has disclosed the personal background information about me, using credit card information, which I provided to the company (for the sole purpose of affecting payment for the rental of the vehicle). As the consequence of the work Europcar, apparently, carried out as the result of this request, I was charged an additional EUR 229.
At the time that I rented a car, and when I returned the car, the company staff failed to draw to my attention that such charges would be charged to my credit card without prior notice to me.
As your company colleagues mentioned in the email, all rental companies are charging their clients for an administrative fee to provide information to law enforcement when an inquiry is made to them about any infractions.
So I would like to ask for advice or suggestions on how to address this with the company to ask for a goodwill gesture.
Thank you.

Regards,
Anna

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have never heard of administrative charges being charged for a car rental. Do you have a copy of the invoice you can post here with your identifying information removed? The charge seems to be for something other than admin fees.

Did the contract you signed at rental allow for fees from Europe Car?

When you rent a car you give them your credit card info to pay for the car. We’ve seen instances where people are charged for damages they didn’t do, or smoking fees when they never smoked, tickets they may have received when driving (and Italy is FAMOUS for tickets) or insurance they declined. But I’ve not seen something with this type of charge.

We need more information to comment.
You
This is what the terms for driving in Italy say about extra fees:

Possible extra/charges: a detail of some charges eventually applicable during your rental or at the end of your rental such as: i) the applicable cost to the exceeding kilometres, ii) the fuel cost applied for the refuelling of the Vehicle if it is returned not with the full tank, iii) the amount of the applicable charges (e.g. for the lack of refuelling, for the omitted return of the accesso- ries at the end of the rental), iv) the amount of the Excess applicable to Your rental according to the Options for limiting your liability that you have purchased and, in particular, the abbreviation “Excess(CDW)” means the amount of the Damage Excess and the abbreviation “Excess(THW)” means the amount of the Theft Excess. If the Options for the limitation of your liability are purchased by you within a “Protection Package” (Medium or Premium) it will be only showed the abbreviation “Excess(Medium)” or “Excess(Premium)” and the maximum amount of your liability in case of damages and theft (equal to zero in case you have purchased the Premium Protection Package). For any other information on the limitations and exclusion of liability applicable to the rental Europcar please refer to Annex 2 – Insurance, Options and Protection Packages Europcar.
d) Station Data Veh: identifies date and place in which your rental begins and ends, the renal stations and the station to return the vehicle, the model, plate number and other information concerning the rented vehicle;
e) Rental Price Estimate: includes the estimated rates, the amounts eventually prepaid and the means of payment used;
f) consent on Personal Data Treatment: requiring your consent for your personal data treatment which shall/may be granted and signed by you;

Sep 19, 2015
Barry is correct. If there is a traffic violation— especially done by camera- the car rental will charge a fee to provide the info to the police and the police will transfer the info to a 3rd party collection if the person is out of the country.

If you had the violations you have no recourse.

Nov 26, 2019
I understand that Europcar has to put in work to find out who was driving a car on a certain day. I don't begrudge them a fee. But the tickets were all charged in a 3-hour span. Shouldn't one fee cover it? All tickets were charged on the first day of a 7-day rental. Once they knew I was the renter on ticket #1, it was obvious I was the renter on tickets #2-7.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I understand that Europcar has to put in work to find out who was driving a car on a certain day. I don't begrudge them a fee. But the tickets were all charged in a 3-hour span. Shouldn't one fee cover it? All tickets were charged on the first day of a 7-day rental. Once they knew I was the renter on ticket #1, it was obvious I was the renter on tickets #2-7.
You can try and negotiate with them but it’s Italy- they don’t do things the way we do here.