EU Sixt car rental damage and fines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 20, 2019
I'm from the US and rented a car from Sixt in Amsterdamn.
When I rented the car no one was with me to verify if there was previous damage nor did I receive any paperwork other than my rental agreement.
Upon returning the car no one gave me any paperwork nor did anyone do a check on the car. They simply just took the key and sent me on my way.
They didn't keep my deposit and they gave me an invoice for my rental days after I arrived home from my trip.
Now about a month later I received an email from them claiming there is a small dent and they are charging me almost 2000 EU.
I do not feel liable but have no evidence to support my denial.
What would happen if I do not pay it? I also received a couple speeding tickets from cameras on the autobahns. What will happen if I don't pay those?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you don’t pay, they can try to note it in your credit report, they can put you on a do not rent list and as far as the speeding tickets- which you know you owe- you can be refused entry if you want to go back to that country.

Did you take pictures when you picked up and dropped off the car? Are you sure you the dent didn’t happen when you had the car?

You can fight the damage claim using this thread. Follow it exactly, it usually results in the claim being dropped. But you should pay the speeding tickets.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.9703/

May 20, 2019
If you don’t pay, they can try to note it in your credit report, they can put you on a do not rent list and as far as the speeding tickets- which you know you owe- you can be refused entry if you want to go back to that country.

Did you take pictures when you picked up and dropped off the car? Are you sure you the dent didn’t happen when you had the car?

You can fight the damage claim using this thread. Follow it exactly, it usually results in the claim being dropped. But you should pay the speeding tickets.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.9703/

If I refuse to pay can they somehow hand it to a collection agency here in the US?
I wouldn't mind paying it but almost 2000 EU for a small 3cm dent seems a little ridiculous.
Unfortunately the only photos I took of the car is after we left the airport and we were at the hotel. Which wouldn't do any good being I would assume they would claim it happened during the time after I left the airport, nor is the photos I took close enough to show anything.
As far as the speeding tickets go I don't mind paying those either but its all in German and I can't understand the letters. Some of them have a website I can visit and log into but it only allows me to admit to the violation like an online hearing and there's no way to pay by credit card.
If I don't pay them and I re-enter the county, will they allow me to just pay on the spot? Or will they send me home?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I'm from the US and rented a car from Sixt in Amsterdamn.
When I rented the car no one was with me to verify if there was previous damage nor did I receive any paperwork other than my rental agreement.
Upon returning the car no one gave me any paperwork nor did anyone do a check on the car. They simply just took the key and sent me on my way.
They didn't keep my deposit and they gave me an invoice for my rental days after I arrived home from my trip.
Now about a month later I received an email from them claiming there is a small dent and they are charging me almost 2000 EU.
I do not feel liable but have no evidence to support my denial.
What would happen if I do not pay it? I also received a couple speeding tickets from cameras on the autobahns. What will happen if I don't pay those?
If you do not pay the tickets, you may be refused entry into ALL EU countries, not just Germany. You were identified through your rental which means they have all your ID information. So if you plan to visit Europe in the future you need to find a German-speaking friend to help you out. You may also find your self on the do not rent list. The traffic cams/speed monitors are all over Europe and they do not give you the 5+ miles over we expect in the US.

What kind of insurance did you have on the rental car? Have you made a claim for the damage?

May 20, 2019
If you do not pay the tickets, you may be refused entry into ALL EU countries, not just Germany. You were identified through your rental which means they have all your ID information. So if you plan to visit Europe in the future you need to find a German-speaking friend to help you out. You may also find your self on the do not rent list. The traffic cams/speed monitors are all over Europe and they do not give you the 5+ miles over we expect in the US.

What kind of insurance did you have on the rental car? Have you made a claim for the damage?

Unfortunately I opted to not buy the additional insurance on the car. The only insurance that was supplied was if I hit someone else, they would cover only the car I hit, not the rental car. Is there no time limitations on the tickets to expire?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately I opted to not buy the additional insurance on the car. The only insurance that was supplied was if I hit someone else, they would cover only the car I hit, not the rental car. Is there no time limitations on the tickets to expire?
No- we’ve had people come here 4 years after tickets were issued and the tickets accrued interest and service fees. Pay them now. There are hundreds of translators you can use online to input the ticket information through and determine what they are telling you.

If you ever plan on traveling to Europe again you are going to need to pay those tickets.

You can try to fight the damage claim using the info I gave you but pay the tickets because they will only get higher.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
As Neil said, the speeding tickets do not expire and accrue penalties and interest if not paid in a timely fashion. Those parameters are probably spelled out in the German language on the tickets. Plus, if you did manage to get into an EU country in the future and were stopped by a policeman for a traffic violation, when the officer checked your information on the computer in their police vehicle those unpaid moving violations would pop up. You would then risk having the car you were driving impounded since you would be on record as a scofflaw.

Sep 19, 2015
Speeding tickets do not expire. If they are not paid many times a US collection agency will be hired and that agency will report to the US credit bureaus. And as Neil and Weihlac have pointed out, owing money many cause problems for entering the EU in the future. So there are two issues -- your credit rating in the US and being able to return to the EU.

The damage to the car is a separate issue. Did the credit card you used have any car rental insurance coverage?

And yes the car rental company can hire a collection agency in the US -- just like the governments do with unpaid traffic tickets.

Sep 19, 2015
I would first pay the tickets -- and then write to the rental company and point out that there was no notice of damage upon returning the car.

Aug 29, 2018
Is the €2000 the total invoice for the tickets and damage? Or is there a separate invoice for the tickets?

If it is combined is the invoice itemized?

Feb 3, 2017
Many countries have engaged debt collection agencies to go after scofflaws who don't pay fines. Guess they got fed up with people thinking they can break the laws outside of their home country and simply ignore fines issued.

If you don't pay, a debt collector in the states can buy the debt and pursue payment from you and if you still don't pay, your credit rating can take a big hit.

Why wouldn't you pay them if you incurred them? As noted, there are many translation websites/apps - I use google translate or bing - no big deal and certainly no excuse.

May 20, 2019
I now have all fines paid except for one as there was no fine amount on the letter and no bank routing number. It was a fine for following too close to another vehicle. It had a website with a login feature and the only thing it allowed me to do was admit that I was operating the vehicle. I haven't been contacted back in response yet.

As for the damage on the rental they originally said there was only a dent on the passenger side rear door 3cm. Then when I asked for a copy of the damage report it shows there are 2 dents. An additional one now on the driver door 5cm. Their original estimate is over €2000, but they said I can settle it for €1765 and either wire money to their account or send a payment through credit card to their account.

I still ponder why they gave me my deposit back if they're trying to charge me for damage. (I looked through my credit card statement and there's no deposit charge. Only the original agreement charge.

I asked for damage reports for the previous 3 rentals and they said they couldn't give me because the other rentals are private information.
No one came and did a walk around on the car with me when I returned it.

In the end I guess it is my fault for not checking the car my self or physically asking someone to do a walk around on the vehicle upon returning, but given the fact that there was previous damage before me that was marked down, (front bumper and windscreen), and there was no walk around before or after with me, they gave me my deposit back, wont give me last 3 damage reports, and are demanding payment for €1765 by June 3rd for either one or two small dents sounds completely absurd and wrong. I am currently waiting for a response from them by email of my complaint.