EU 261

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 13, 2019
I am on a trip to Norway and my Wideroes flight from BOO (Bodo, Norway) to LKN (Leknes, Norway) - a 20 minute flight - was cancelled because of mechanical problems. We almost landed in LKN, circling the field for 15 minutes, but the pilot decided to go back to where we started, BOO, because that is where their mechanics were. He explained that he could safely land, but after landing, he would not be able to take off again until the problem was repaired - and their mechanics were in BOO. So he decided to land in BOO where we started. We were promised another plane to continue the journey, but after landing where we started, they canceled the flight WF 810 on Feb 8. The airline gave us a food coupon, then said they would fly us to a different destination, and bus us to the original destination - arriving 8 hours late. Because of the delay, I arrived at the Hertz counter in LKN after hours and they charged me about 50 USD to bring someone in to give me my car. I had travel insurance company, purchased from SquareMouth, and it covers travel delays after 6 hours, but when I called they said the Hertz after hours charge would not be covered. The insurance agent told me that only certain things were covered during travel delays, and this was not one of them. You think you are covered for travel dalays, but you really have very limited coverage. This is an item one would NEVER think of when choosing a policy, and I'm sure there are tons more examples, but it was a bonafide out of pocket expense due to the delay.

Now, I am thinking of filing one of those EU Regulation 261/2004 claims through a third party to recoup my money, but I don't know if EU 261 really works. I had a travel delay of more than 6 hours and the airline could have landed us in BOO safely (our original destination) inconveniencing their mechanics, or fly us back to where we started and inconveniencing all their passengers. They chose the latter. Should I try to use EU Regulation 261 through a third party to get some reimbursement?

Feb 13, 2019
@johnbaker, THANKS. Two questions: 1.) If I fill out the form and it is denied (something I've read airlines do a lot re Reg 261, can I use one of the third party companies who have more expertise as well as attorneys to file again - or do I only get one shot at this? 2.) I am planning to fly Wideroe again later this year -- if I file a claim can they "blackball" me and not let me fly with them again? Thanks.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@Don in ATL I'm with @Neil Maley why give a company 10% + to fill out a form. Start there. As for your second question, would you ask the same question about compensation if UA or AA bumped you off a flight and you knew that they were required by DOT to write you a check (they are BTW)? Some accountant at Wideros is thrilled right now because you haven't claimed the money yet....

Sep 19, 2015
Don if you do not get a satisfactory response you can go to the regulatory authority.

Many of the 3rd party claim agencies may not want to take you claim as they may not have jurisdiction in Norway — as this was a domestic flight —

So I would advise claiming with airline. I have never heard of anyone being banned after claiming Eu 261.

Feb 13, 2019
@johnbaker and @Neil Maley, there were TWO of us-- so that's 500 Euros. I will do it when I get home in about 10 days. I have our boarding passes for the original flight and the substitute flight to the different city. I also have a letter I got Wideroe to write saying our flight was canceled due to technical problems and which flight they put us on. I bought the tickets from SAS (all on one reservation - both the SAS flight and the WF flight) because it was an SAS flight from Oslo, then connecting to Wideroe. There were no problems with the SAS flight, and I assume SAS gave the money to Wideroe. But our canceled flight had a WF flight number (WF 810). All still good? THANK YOU!

Feb 13, 2019
I am back home now and preparing to file the EU 261 claim with Wideroe. This is the statement I plan to put in the box at the bottom of the form. Do you think it is OK?
"On 08 Feb WF 810 took off normally from Bodo and flew to Leknes, where we circled over LKN for 15 minutes. The pilot came on the PA and informed us that there was a mechanical problem. He assured us that we were safe and that we could land safely. He explained, however, that once we landed, the plane would not be able to take off again without the problem being fixed. He told us that the mechanics were back in Bodo and if we landed in LKN as scheduled those mechanics would have to come to LKN to fix the plane. He said it would be easier to fix the plane in Bodo rather than Leknes, so he chose to return to Bodo for the convenience of the the airline, rather than landing in LKN (where we already were) for the convenience of the passengers. We could have landed in LKN, but the pilot elected to go back to Bodo to land. At no point did the pilot indicate that we were in any kind danger or an emergency situation. Twenty minutes later we landed normally back in Bodo - where we started. That evening we were put on WF 0836 - to Svolvaer, not LKN, and then bused to LKN, where we arrived over 8 hours later than originally scheduled. I am claiming 250 Euros under the EU 261 rule. Thank you."

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Too wordy. Use bullet points and facts only.

-writing regarding my flight on Widero Airlines, reservation number xxxxxxxxx from Bodo to LKN.
- flight took off at xxxx, scheduled to land sxxxxx
- upon arrival in airspace at LKN, pilot announced a mechanical problem was preventing us from landing at the airport.
- pilot said there were no mechanics in LKN to repair the plane and turned the plane around and flew back to Bodo where we landed instead of LJN at xxxx, eight hours later than we were scheduled.

-at xxxx we were put in another flight that took us to Svolvaer instead of LKN and we were bused from Svol to LKN, finally arriving at LKN at xxxx, eight hours after we were scheduled to land.
- I am filing a claim under EU261 for 250E.

This is how to file:

https://www.elliott.org/frequently-asked-questions-about-eu261/

Feb 13, 2019
@Neil, Thanks. I will shorten it and make bullet points. The reason I made it so long was to try to nail down that it was NOT "extraordinary circumstances" - that the pilot chose to return to Bodo for the convenience of the airline, that he could have just as safely landed in Leknes.

Sep 19, 2015
Why not just say you were on flight X which returned to origin. The pilot informed us that there were no mechanics at destination. I am requesting EU compensation as we arrived X hours later.

I would leave off the part about landing at Leknes for the convenience of the passenger vs Bodo and the convenience of the airline. To be fair, the return to Bodo may have been done at the request of the landing airport. Leknes airport may not want a completely disabled aircraft sitting on the runway.

Feb 13, 2019
I just filed my EU 261 claim. It took a couple of tries because their forms are meant to only handle Norwegian bank account numbers. But I managed to check "other" and put my banking info in the box with my statement. I immediately got an acknowledgement, saying "We strive to respond as quickly as possible, but please understand that some cases may require longer processing time. For the time being, our processing time is up to 8 weeks." My traveling companion also filed an EU 261 claim. I will keep you posted, and again THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Feb 13, 2019
Hi Everybody. SUCCESS, I think. My spouse and I each received an email today saying our EU 261 claim was approved and that we would each receive 250 Euros. They want our IBAN number to transfer the money. As far as I can tell, the US banks do not have IBAN numbers. In our application (secure form), we listed our bank's SWIFT number and our individual bank account numbers. Now they want an IBAN number. I am reluctant to send them the SWIFT number for our bank and the individual bank account number over public email. Also, I gave them this in the original complaint form. Am I incorrect in thinking I should not be sending our bank info by email? Any suggestions on what I should do? There is no other way for me to get back to them in a secure manner that I can see. Here is the full email we each received from Wideroe Airlines.

"In reference to your inquiry on the cancellation of Widerøes flight. We apologize for the cancellation and the inconvenience caused by this.
The customer's claims under compensation and assistance are governed by EU Regulation 261/2004. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passenger may claim a standard compensation unless the airline can demonstrate that the situation is due to extraordinary circumstances that could not be avoided even if all reasonable measures were taken, cf. Article 5 of the Regulation.

Based on current guidelines we will compensate for the event with 250EUR. In order to transfer we need your IBAN, and name and address og accountholder.

Again our apologies for this unfortunate incident, and we do hope to see you again on later occasions.

Med vennlig hilsen/Sincerely yours
Widerøe Claims"

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS. DON