EU 261 Double Cancellation Question

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 9, 2018
Greetings fellow Elliot Forum Folk!

Long time lurker, first time posting.

My beautiful wifey booked on an AF biz class mileage ticket from SFO to TLV via CDG. Outbound was no problem. The return became an issue.

The leg from TLV to CDG on the return was cancelled less than 12 hours before the flight with no reason provided. (CDG to SFO was not cancelled) After calling AF, was rebooked for a flight 24 hours later. 10 hours before the new flight, that flight was cancelled as well and wifey was automatically rebooked on the UA nonstop from TLV to SFO departing at the same time as the rebooked flight.

Being that the original flight was cancelled AND the new flight was cancelled, is she entitled to double the EU 261 (EUR1200) or only EUR600? Or is she not even entitled to that because only the TLV to CDG was cancelled?

Thanks so much! Appreciate your feedback!

Sep 19, 2015
Well the first question why was the TLV to CDG canceled?

Assuming the flight was canceled for a covered reason (ie not a strike, sometimes long hauls go) the second cancellation would not be eligible for the EU261 as it sounds as if the departure and arrival time were roughly comparable ie leaving at the same time and not arriving late.

It is not the act of cancelling but the arrival late or forcing a very early departure as I understand it.

So covered reason would be 600 euro

Nov 29, 2017
Amsterdam
Unfortunately you can only claim EU261 once ;) - it's per person/ticket, not per flight.

I had part of my initiary cancelled once, yet received my EU261 over the whole length (600E vs only 250E) - but this was BA and not AF. I would definitely go ahead and ask for 600E in my claim, the worst they can say is no and offer 250E instead.

Nov 29, 2017
Amsterdam
Actually, you can definitely claim EU 261 more than once, if you have more than one flight cancelled.
I have no experience in trying so, so maybe. However, I thought that a EU261 claim was linked to a booking number, and that booking number doesn't change when you are rebooked onto a different flight due to cancellation/delay. I would think that a company would balk at paying twice on the same number - then again if you have the bad luck of being cancelled on twice, why not? It is certainly worth trying.

Jan 19, 2018
My son had two EU claims last year on the same booking. He had a UA frequent flyer ticket Bordeaux-Brussels- Hamburg-Newark-Rochester NY late August (hey, you take what you can get for @$90 in taxes at that time of the year, plus his lay-over in Hamburg was overnight, arriving mid-afternoon, giving him time for a quick city visit). Brussels Airlines flight from Bordeaux was cancelled for technical reasons. He was put up at a nice hotel (Sofitel) given meal vouchers and rebooked the next day on AF and UA BOR-CDG-IAD-ROC. The AF flight from Paris to Dulles was delayed making him miss the connection to ROC. Another hotel night (Sheraton) meal vouchers etc. Finally made it home after a 52 hr trip but with $1400 in his pocket (ok, it took 4-6 weeks for both Brussels Airlines and AF to pay up). Not bad for a young teacher on a $90 frequent flyer ticket! Of course it helped that school wasn't starting up until the next week.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My son had two EU claims last year on the same booking. He had a UA frequent flyer ticket Bordeaux-Brussels- Hamburg-Newark-Rochester NY late August (hey, you take what you can get for @$90 in taxes at that time of the year, plus his lay-over in Hamburg was overnight, arriving mid-afternoon, giving him time for a quick city visit). Brussels Airlines flight from Bordeaux was cancelled for technical reasons. He was put up at a nice hotel (Sofitel) given meal vouchers and rebooked the next day on AF and UA BOR-CDG-IAD-ROC. The AF flight from Paris to Dulles was delayed making him miss the connection to ROC. Another hotel night (Sheraton) meal vouchers etc. Finally made it home after a 52 hr trip but with $1400 in his pocket (ok, it took 4-6 weeks for both Brussels Airlines and AF to pay up). Not bad for a young teacher on a $90 frequent flyer ticket! Of course it helped that school wasn't starting up until the next week.
Your son is a clever fellow to keep his cool, let the airline take good care of him, and file for proper compensation. Not to mention that he didn't plan to land at midnight the day before school started. It's amazing what a combination of brains, calm and persistence can accomplish when you're travelling. He's a keeper, I'm glad to know he's a teacher!

Sep 20, 2015
I don't think she's entitled to double compensation, but certainly 600 euro is warranted--her ticket was from TLV to SFO via CDG, not TLV-CDG, so the long haul amount is correct. It doesn't sound like she can double dip on this one because they did accommodate her on another flight that did get her in earlier than her rebooked flight.

Jul 27, 2016
I don't think she's entitled to double compensation, but certainly 600 euro is warranted--her ticket was from TLV to SFO via CDG, not TLV-CDG, so the long haul amount is correct. It doesn't sound like she can double dip on this one because they did accommodate her on another flight that did get her in earlier than her rebooked flight.

Agreed. She's due the compensation for the first flight, but since the rebook of the second flight actually got her in sooner, no compensation is due.