Erroneously Booked Flight Due to Ignorance of Future Schedule, Now In A $260 Hole? Help, Please.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 9, 2016
Company you have a question or comment about: Spirit Airlines

Please help me get a refund.

What's your desired resolution?
A full refund at least, b/c I've been struggling w/ the customer service outsourced to the Philippines over the past few months, & struggling to balance that w/ my studies. On the date of the transaction, I hoped to be able to make the flight, but in the following weeks, I learned that my studies meant I wouldn't be able to make it. I have class on the dates of the previously scheduled flight, and so, I cannot be on this flight even if I tried.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 260

Date of transaction/travel date: 08/01/2016

By submitting this form, I authorize representatives of this site and its affiliates to disclose information I have provided to a third party. I understand this authorization also applies to past and future correspondence with representatives of this site and its affiliates. The information may be used in a news story. I release and hold harmless this site and its affiliates from any liability and/or claims in connection with the disclosure of the information.

Assigned to: Elliott

Referred by: I was referred by one of your readers.

Case number/reservation number: ****** [REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

I am not sure how to proceed. I had to cancel this flight, because I cannot make it due to class. Please help me get a full refund.

Regards,
Liam

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 3, 2015
Spirit outlines the very limited circumstances under which they grant refunds in section 3.3 of their contract of carriage here: https://www.spirit.com/Content/Documents/en-US/Contract_of_Carriage.pdf

Likely the best you can hope for is a credit to be used against a future trip with them, the terms of which are also in section 3.3 of that governing Contract of Carriage -- by the time they get through assessing their fees, there may not be much left to apply. Have you talked to them about the residual value of the ticket?

Spirit is a bargain basement carrier, one that isn't about to let loose of money they've been given (not that any airline does that cheerfully any more).

I suspect my students would have just skipped class and hoped I was kinder than the airline was likely to be.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
@Liam, well, shoot..........I assume you purchased a non-refundable ticket so Spirit will not budge on giving you a refund. BUT, have you inquired with them if you have a credit to use within a year of purchasing the ticket? I would start there. Have you written to Spirit's customer service yet? If not, email them requesting the credit. If you do not hear from them after one week, use the Company Contacts link at the top of this forum to find the email addresses for Spirit's execs. Write to them one at a time, waiting one week for a reply before moving to the next name on the list.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I must state this so you can manage your expectations: Spirit is a low cost carrier who offers inexpensive fares based partly on the fact that they do not waiver from their rules EVER. That being said, it does not mean you shouldn't try because if you never ask, you will never know if your request is the one time they make an exception to their rules.

Dec 9, 2016
Yeah, thanks to both of you. I attempted e-mailing Heather Harvey a few weeks back, and apparently, the system rejected it. Why, I'm not too sure, but I'll move on to the next exec.

Also, I was offered a $120 voucher that lasts through January, 2017, but being that it's less than half the value of the original purchase price, I'm not going to easily acquiesce on that one.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, the days of being able to change flights if your plans change are over. Regardless of the airline, non refundable is really non refundable and you have to buy a new ticket, pay a cancellation fee for the other and pay any difference in fare.

We have a thread on this and how to handle it:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/refunds-for-non-refundable-tickets.3304/

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Yeah, thanks to both of you. I attempted e-mailing Heather Harvey a few weeks back, and apparently, the system rejected it. Why, I'm not too sure, but I'll move on to the next exec.

Also, I was offered a $120 voucher that lasts through January, 2017, but being that it's less than half the value of the original purchase price, I'm not going to easily acquiesce on that one.
I would acquiesce or just skip the class. Perhaps you can get some sort of documentation @ the class but it would have to be v important like a police officer training or something. I can't think of any other class you can't miss once.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
ugh, Spirit. Any air carrier is going to impose change fees, usually to the tune of $200. Some carriers will return the entire ticket in the form of an airline credit to be used one year from date of purchase. Spirit likes to keep your money, regardless. They dont care. Good luck.

FYI - this is not Spirit's fault - why would you think you are entitled to a refund when your circumstances changed?

I'd like to hear the response because maybe it is something I have never thought of . . . I'd like @Liam to explain why when he bought a non-refundable ticket he thinks he should have a refund . . .

In order strong arm Spirit to give you a refund in violation of their contract and terms of carriage you will need to explain why you should be entitled to a refund logically and legally . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I know @Neil, there is a lot of 'you mean you're not just going to do it for me?' out there -

I'm surprised how often people come here with large car rental damage claims and after being told to follow the steps we never hear from them again!
Hopefully it's because they won their protest. But it does help us to be able to send people to those that are successful to show them that our process works.