Enterprise tirewall damage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 3, 2019
Have had a rental from Enterprise for ~20 days. Every morning, when it’s cooler, the right front tire has been a couple pounds low. This morning, it was lower. I went to air it up and noticed some sidewall damage. Damage that I did not point out on the initial walk around. What should I do in this case?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If you did not note the sidewall damage when you picked up the car you will be charged for it. If you did not take tire damage insurance when renting you will be charged for a time replacement when you take the car back. Sidewall damage cannot be repaired. It is also unsafe to drive on a damaged sidewall as it may fail catastrophically, esp on the highway.

You can see if your own car insurance or the credit card you used to rent the car will cover tire damage (it probably will not).

The cheapest thing to do is take the car to a tire shop and replace the tire yourself. If you return it to Enterprise they will replace the tire and charge you a very inflated price for a new tire. We just had a case similar to this and the person was charge 2+x the actual tire replacement cost when the car was returned. You might even be able to find a good used tire to replace with.

Mar 14, 2018
This is almost certainly a violation of the terms of your rental agreement. If Enterprise detects the changed tire, they will charge you to remove and replace it.

Mar 14, 2018
The chance they will find this is vanishingly small.
It's irresponsible to recommend that people breach a signed contract and do this, regardless of your opinion on the likelihood they will be caught. Furthermore, there is way more downside (including liability if a future renter has an accident) than potential cost savings.

Jan 6, 2015
Thank you. I wanted to see how badly it was damaged. I don't think they will miss this, and if they do you run the risk they may hit you up for damages down the line.

I think wiehlac's idea is the best approach.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The chance they will find this is vanishingly small.
As advocates we cannot tell a consumer to violate their contract.

That would be very hard to miss on a walk around when picking up the car. You have had it for 20 days? Are you sure you didn’t hit a curb or something that could have damaged that? How long did you have the car before you found this?

Apr 3, 2019
When the lady walked me around it she kept speaking of the paint scuffs on the door and I never looked at the tires. I was just making sure they wrote down the paint scuffs. Did not notice until today. Like I said, every morning the pressure would be slightly low. Today, a few pounds lower than normal— which is when I walked around to fill up the tire with air.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How long have you had the car? It’s absolutely impossible you might have damaged it? Unless you brought the car right back you are going to have s hard time making them believe the damage was there when you picked it up. That type of damage would quickly lead to a flat, not slowly leak from
the look of the picture.

Jan 6, 2015
From your timeline:
  • 20 days ago you pickup your rental car. Regarding the damage, "I did not point out on the initial walk around", and "When the lady walked me around it she kept speaking of the paint scuffs on the door and I never looked at the tires"
  • "Every morning, when it’s cooler, the right front tire has been a couple pounds low" (how did you know?). Normal pressure for many cars is only 33-40 lbs.
  • Today the pressure is "a few pounds lower than normal", so you "walked around to fill up the tire with air" (again, how did you know it was "a few pounds" lower?)
  • You then "noticed some sidewall damage"
Putting this together:
  • You acknowledge that you cannot state with certainty whether or not the damage was preexisting.
  • You keep saying "a few pounds", which implies that you measured the tire pressure. If true, then you missed the damage until today.
  • If the damage was preexisting, the rental center would have noticed I think (a few pounds per day).
These are the challenges that I see you will face if you attempt to posit that the damage predated your rental.

What I see your options are:
  1. Do nothing because you believe the damage occurred prior to your rental
  2. Do nothing hoping that they will not notice (now or later)
  3. Both 1. and 2.
  4. Report the damage, at which point they will either tow it or ask you to bring it in. And then you will be charged whatever shows on their invoice for a replacement cost.
  5. Replace the tire yourself with some ability to control the costs.
Only you can decide upon a course of action. The damage may or may not have occurred prior to your rental, but at this point it seems nearly certain that it will need replacement.

Whatever you choose, I hope you are successful . . .

Apr 3, 2019
I did not measure the tire pressure. I’m simply going off of what the reading on the car is giving me. I am stating lower than normal as if the normal would be exactly what the other tires were reading. And later, normal meaning lower than the few pounds lower it was reading prior. Still not unsafe, in my opinion. Again, the reading the display in the vehicle was giving me. It was doing this from day 1. Hope this helps with your understanding.

Apr 3, 2019
I did not measure the tire pressure. I’m simply going off of what the reading on the car is giving me. I am stating lower than normal as if the normal would be exactly what the other tires were reading. And later, normal meaning lower than the few pounds lower it was reading prior. Still not unsafe, in my opinion. Again, the reading the display in the vehicle was giving me. It was doing this from day 1. Hope this helps with your understanding.
Also maybe important to note, the tire pressure recovered in the warmer parts of the day. It was not losing lbs per day steadily. I’m saying, when I would enter the car first thing in the morning, the tire pressure would be 28, for example, and climb as I drove. Later, (Warner outside) when I would re-enter the car, 34. The next morning, 28 again. This morning when I entered the vehicle the tire pressure was at 26. This lower tire pressure is what prompted the trip to air the tire. I apologize for not being completely clear. The tire is not steadily losing pressure.

Mar 14, 2018
There are 2 issues here and I think we're focused on the wrong one:

1) As Weilac said, this tire is potentially dangerous. If it blows out at highway speeds, you could be seriously injured or even killed. Stop driving on it. Call Enterprise now and have them replace the tire.

2) Either you or Enterprise will have to pay for a new tire. This will cost a couple hundred dollars. The question of who will pay this is much lower priority than your safety.

Apr 3, 2019
There are 2 issues here and I think we're focused on the wrong one:

1) As Weilac said, this tire is potentially dangerous. If it blows out at highway speeds, you could be seriously injured or even killed. Stop driving on it. Call Enterprise now and have them replace the tire.

2) Either you or Enterprise will have to pay for a new tire. This will cost a couple hundred dollars. The question of who will pay this is much lower priority than your safety.
I sincerely hope, smd, that your intention of commenting on posts, not just mine, is not to be one a moderator. If so, I suggest working on your delivery. Pardon me if I misunderstood, but I believed this to be a forum for consumer questions not to question consumer prioritization skills or lack thereof. While I appreciate your input on some things, again, working on your delivery would make this forum much helpful for everyone. Best wishes. And thanks to everyone else for the comments.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Didn’t hit anything— it still isn’t low-low. Tire pressure is 28-32lbs.
This type of damage can occur on a highway without the driver being aware of "hitting" anything. A piece of metal or a rock hitting the tire at highway speed can cause this type of damage. Or "kissing" a curb when parking might do this. Your photo actually shows slight damage to the wheel rim just above the tire damage. The tire/wheel hit something; you cannot say it was pre-existing because the car was inspected and you have had it for 20 days. You should not drive this car at highway speeds with this tire; you risk a catastrophic failure.

If the car has a spare, change the tire; if it does not have a spare, drive slowly, not on a highway, and replace the tire.