Enterprise sent me a DRU that claimed I did the damage but it did not.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 21, 2019
Story: I do not rent any car. The guy who drove the rental car reverse back to my car when we at the light stop, we proceed to the near restaurant and no damage showed on my car + his car. A year later, Enterprise sent me a DRU that stated I owed them $4000. What should I do? Do I need an attorney for this?

Aug 21, 2019
I do have. The incident was not recorded or reported to the police. My dad suggested me that call the DRU and explained and if it does not work then my dad will hire an attorney if this goes to the legal fight. I just want to solve this as easy as possible due to I'm enlisted to the Air force in the next 3 months, do not want anything effects my enlisted. Thank for the help.

Aug 21, 2019
Dear Axx,
Thank you for choosing Enterprise for your car rental needs! My name is Christina, I will be happy to help you today!

Whenever any damage is recorded on any of our vehicles a Loss Damage Report is created and forwarded to our Damage Recovery Unit (DRU), this is the department that you will need to speak to for resolution in this matter. The DRU will have better knowledge to any damage that was reported and will be better equipped to address any concerns you have.
The DRU can be reached at 1-866-300-3239, they are available Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST. When calling please refer to Claim.

●Do I forward this email to executive email or calling them?

Jan 6, 2015
I think you should ask a friend or relative with a stronger command of English to help you call them. Explain the accident ("he backed into me"), and then request an email address for future contact. This will give you a paper trail . . .

Mar 23, 2015
Ughhh this is going to be messy. I know that it (at least used to be) that in a rear end accident the assumption of fault was always on the rear vehicle for not having safe and assured distance. Without having witnesses or any police report etc.. to say that the renter BACKED the vehicle UP into you, you have a hard row to hoe, so to speak to prove that you aren't at fault. Unless you can get that renter to ADMIT fault, I suspect you're kinda stuck. You need to seek help from an attorney or your insurance company who can go after the renter. I don't think you can do this on your own--your (admitted) limited language skills, the distance of time, and the way moving violations are written all are going to work against you. Seek professional assistance right way!! GOOD LUCK!!

Aug 21, 2019
I've follow the instructions of the original post. I sent the email to Executives at Enterprise. Also, contacted with my insurance and my lawyer, in case of this situation pushing to far. I will update this thread for the upcoming news.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Well, how the heck did the Enterprise get his name/credentials?
If you are sitting at a red light, and the car in front of you backs up into your car, someone can determine that to be your fault?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Well, how the heck did the Enterprise get his name/credentials?
If you are sitting at a red light, and the car in front of you backs up into your car, someone can determine that to be your fault?
When the driver of the car in front returns the car to Enterprise and claims he was rear-ended by you and supplies your license plate information, Enterprise tracks you down and sends you a bill. Do you really think the Enterprise rental driver said he backed into someone when he returned the car?

Jan 6, 2015
For the future . . .
  • Unless you are facing an emergency, always involve law enforcement. This provides a written record of what each party claims happened.
  • Take pictures! Again, this is a "written record" (pictorially) of the damage. For Android users, a good free app with no ads is Open Camera. This app can embed both the GPS location, date, and time.
  • Exchange information with the other driver, including and especially their insurance.
Protect yourself, even if the other driver is willing to just drive away . . .

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
When the driver of the car in front returns the car to Enterprise and claims he was rear-ended by you and supplies your license plate information, Enterprise tracks you down and sends you a bill. Do you really think the Enterprise rental driver said he backed into someone when he returned the car?
THIS, this is exactly what happened!

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
From all I have read on this forum RE: rental cars, it doesn’t matter whose fault it is if I rent a car and return it damaged.
Otherwise, why doesn’t the ‘Act of God’ phrase work for a hail damaged car.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
From all I have read on this forum RE: rental cars, it doesn’t matter whose fault it is if I rent a car and return it damaged.
Otherwise, why doesn’t the ‘Act of God’ phrase work for a hail damaged car.
If an identified third party damages your rental car, the rental agency will seek payment from the third party. If they are unsuccessful, they will come back to you for payment. How do I know this? My daughter backed into my rental car and the rental agency was paid by her insurance. I, and my insurance, paid nothing.

If your car is damaged by hail, whether a rental car or personal vehicle, there is no third party to pay for damages, so you are responsible.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
If an identified third party damages your rental car, the rental agency will seek payment from the third party. If they are unsuccessful, they will come back to you for payment. How do I know this? My daughter backed into my rental car and the rental agency was paid by her insurance. I, and my insurance, paid nothing.

If your car is damaged by hail, whether a rental car or personal vehicle, there is no third party to pay for damages, so you are responsible.
Ok, well now it’s just all heresay in this case. NO proof.

Jan 6, 2015
Ok, well now it’s just all heresay in this case. NO proof.
Agreed. Even the most well-trained, experienced police officer could not, in my opinion, tell the difference. So it comes down to either another witness (passenger in Ash's vehicle) or the honesty of the rental car driver. Had one incident 30+ years ago where between the time someone hit me and the police arrived he made up a story and "got off".

What is both suspicious and significant here is the fact that Enterprise is pursuing one year later. I suspect an appeal would be successful . . .