Enterprise scammed.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 27, 2019
Our RV broke down on vacation and was in repair shop for 3 days. We rented a car for that time frame. We called Enterprise and asked if it was ok to leave the rental at the Ford Fleet Service shop and they said that it was perfectly fine. They did it all the time. We left in our rv the next morning. 2 days later Enterprise called and left a voicemail that they could not find the car. Since they had already closed, I called corporate office and explained what happened and the corporate employee said she would look into it and someone would call me back if need be. We didn’t hear anything so we presumed it was fine. Continued on our vacation. 2 days later I get an invoice for the subsequent days after we left. I called corporate again and explained situation. They looked it up and found that an employee made a second invoice for the days after our initial contract had ended and used my credit card to charge us for those days. We did exactly what we were told to do. Still nobody has called us. Not sure what to do now? Should we report it as fraud with the cc company? It seems Enterprise doesn’t care enough to call. What to do?

Feb 27, 2019
No, we don’t have a receipt that states that. Just the 3 Ford service advisors and service Manager that saw the car after we picked up our RV. Enterprise picked up the vehicle the day after the voicemail was left. They had to get the keys from the service manager.

Sep 19, 2015
No, we don’t have a receipt that states that. Just the 3 Ford service advisors and service Manager that saw the car after we picked up our RV. Enterprise picked up the vehicle the day after the voicemail was left. They had to get the keys from the service manager.
Was this over a weekend? Maybe the service manager was not around or they could not find keys. Problem is that the rental car company only got the car back 2 days later.

Is there a reason that you did not drive it to Enterprise? It is always better to return car and have It inspected so car company can not claim damage to the car.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was this over a weekend? Maybe the service manager was not around or they could not find keys. Problem is that the rental car company only got the car back 2 days later.

Is there a reason that you did not drive it to Enterprise? It is always better to return car and have It inspected so car company can not claim damage to the car.
Correct and Enterprise could have driven you to pick up your RV.

Use our contacts to appeal to Enterprise.

Feb 27, 2019
Correct and Enterprise could have driven you to pick up your RV.

We made the reservation online and were told to call them for a pick-up time. We called to set a pick-up time and were informed that they couldn’t pick us up. That they were short-staffed. We had to Uber it there to the company “that picks you up”. Ha!!
So after that, we expected the same response so we called to get permission to leave the vehicle. The employees at Ford Service said people leave their vehicles all the time. Didn’t think there would be any issues.
Looking back, I would have not left that car anywhere but Enterprise.
I received an email this morning from an Enterprise Regional Manager from my hometown. He is quite confused as well. As of this morning, there are 4 open invoices for me. With 4 separate charges on my credit card. Customer Service for Enterprise is NOT very motivated to keep me informed so I phoned Enterprise in my hometown and spoke to the manager. He has done everything he said he would. Corporate Enterprise has yet to even call.

Nov 27, 2017
First of all, this is not a scam, but misommunication of where the vehicle was. You should call the office where you rented the vehicle and ask for them to waive the charges for the days after you returned the car.

Now, there were a few things that you could have done better to avoid this in the first place. You did great on letting Enterprise know that you would like to leave the car at Ford Fleet Shop, but you didn't do was follow up to let them know that the Service Manager has the keys. As someone who worked for Enterprise eons ago, I can tell you that unless the Service Manager calls the Enterprise office to let them know there is a vehicle or that he has keys, there is no way for the office to know. And chances are, this is not the Service Manager's priority, it is yours as you are the one paying for the rental. I can understand that you called the corporate office the first time, as the office was closed, but why did you not follow up on Monday when the office reopened that Enterprise picked up the car? After you got the second invoice, why did you not call the office but call the corporate office?

You had mentioned that “no one had called you”, but in this case, if you had called Enterprise first, it would have prevented all the confusion.

Jan 6, 2015
To clarify, the sequence here appears to be:
  • You left your RV left for repair at a Ford Fleet Service shop
  • You then rented a car from Enterprise for three (3) days
  • After that, you called Enterprise (corporate?) and received permission to leave rental at Ford. They stated they do this all the time.
  • 2 days later Enterprise (local?) leaves a voicemail that "they could not find the car". They (local) had already closed, so you called corporate and who promised to look into it and that someone would call you back if need be.
  • 2 days after that you received an invoice for the subsequent days after you left the Ford shop.
  • You called corporate again who found that an employee made a second invoice for the days after your initial contract had ended and charged your credit card.
  • Enterprise (local) eventually (2 days after your call) got the keys from the service manager
If any my "?" entries above are incorrect, please advise.

Strange that the local Enterprise agency "could not find the car" initially, but did 2 days later. That's on them I would think. This seems like a disconnect between Enterprise corporate, local, and the Ford shop.

As Neil stated, write using the contacts here and politely request a refund . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The real issue here is that the OP dealt with corporate when they should have been dealing with the local office. The initial calls should have been to the local office.

So right now as we’ve said, the OP needs to get corporate to drop the additional two days because apparently the local office may not have been notified the car was left at the dealer.

Jan 6, 2015
Agreed Neil. Regarding the corporate vs. local, a) we don't know what time they called after returning the car and b) oftentimes the paperwork has a toll-free number to call printed on it so they probably instinctively (and rightly so, I think) used that number.

Feb 27, 2019
First of all, this is not a scam, but misommunication of where the vehicle was. You should call the office where you rented the vehicle and ask for them to waive the charges for the days after you returned the car.

Now, there were a few things that you could have done better to avoid this in the first place. You did great on letting Enterprise know that you would like to leave the car at Ford Fleet Shop, but you didn't do was follow up to let them know that the Service Manager has the keys. As someone who worked for Enterprise eons ago, I can tell you that unless the Service Manager calls the Enterprise office to let them know there is a vehicle or that he has keys, there is no way for the office to know. And chances are, this is not the Service Manager's priority, it is yours as you are the one paying for the rental. I can understand that you called the corporate office the first time, as the office was closed, but why did you not follow up on Monday when the office reopened that Enterprise picked up the car? After you got the second invoice, why did you not call the office but call the corporate office?

You had mentioned that “no one had called you”, but in this case, if you had called Enterprise first, it would have prevented all the confusion.

Whether it’s a scam or miscommunication, we did exactly as we were told. When we couldn’t contact the local Enterprise, we contacted the corporate office to make sure all of our bases were covered. All 3 phone calls to corporate, we were told someone would contact us. Didn’t happen.
Finally today. A regional manager from my hometown emailed me what he perceived to be the problem. Was it a scam? He thinks the car was rerented on the day that I was phoned that they couldn’t find it. An honest mistake? At this point I don’t know. He is getting me s refund on the days we didn’t use the car. Once I receive the refund, I will consider this closed. I will never use Enterprise outside of my hometown again. That’s for sure.
Thanks for all your input.

Feb 27, 2019
The real issue here is that the OP dealt with corporate when they should have been dealing with the local office. The initial calls should have been to the local office.

So right now as we’ve said, the OP needs to get corporate to drop the additional two days because apparently the local office may not have been notified the car was left at the dealer.
Actually we were told that because we made the reservation online that we had to go through corporate. After calling corporate asking if we can leave the vehicle at the repair shop, they told us to call the area Enterprise and let them know but they would also make note of it. We called the local after corporate and received permission to leave the vehicle. Wasn’t a problem. We were also a half day early in the return. Like I said earlier, we did everything “by the book” to make sure there were no uncovered bases. It sounds like we are getting refunded for the days we didn’t have the vehicle. It also sounds like the car was rerented on the same day that I was notified that they couldn’t find the vehicle. Scam or miscommunication....I’m not sure.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That is great news. It isn't a scam from what we see on our end but there is definitely miscommunication. The car may have been re-rented on the day they contacted you but if they didn't have the car in their possession until that date, they were doing what they were supposed to do - bill the renter since the local office didn't know where the car was - Corporate never told them.

Thankfully it's being corrected and you have provided a lesson to others - if you aren't dropping the car off where you rented it - make sure you get some kind of receipt showing it was left where it was.

Feb 27, 2019
That is great news. It isn't a scam from what we see on our end but there is definitely miscommunication. The car may have been re-rented on the day they contacted you but if they didn't have the car in their possession until that date, they were doing what they were supposed to do - bill the renter since the local office didn't know where the car was - Corporate never told them.

Thankfully it's being corrected and you have provided a lesson to others - if you aren't dropping the car off where you rented it - make sure you get some kind of receipt showing it was left where it was.
It was rerented locally. Not through corporate. They rented it out the same day they called me to say they couldn’t find it. So that car was getting paid for by 2 different people. I’m just happy it’s over and I will be even happier when the money is back in my account.