Enterprise nightmare

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 14, 2019
Took our vehicle to Chrysler to have warranty work done. They sent us to enterprise for a rental that they were supplying us while our car was being fixed. I hate enterprise to begin with but we had no choice. It was pretty late by this time. We were already stressed and tired from dealing with the dealership and our vehicle needing work. We pointed out the dent in question and several scratches and glue. We were told since it’s not bigger than a dollar bill they don’t note it. I asked if we could put it on the diagram and that everytime in the past I’ve gotten a diagram on a clip board I was told again that they don’t note damage unless it is more than a certain size. Keep in mind they had to do the last customers check in inspection while we waited and we were told if we wanted it cleaned or gas put in it we would have to wait longer. We chose to take it on empty. Returned the car after having it one day and sure enough they are trying to charge us for the damage....I pointed it out. I don’t rent with enterprise so where would I get their “bigger than a dollar bill” quote.

Sep 19, 2015
The rental car companies cannot be trusted at this point. Are there any photos at all? It is terrible that this is what renting a car has come down to.

Follow the previous advice and write to the company executives, listing the factual experience.

Dec 19, 2014
My solution to this issue is to take photos of the car at the time of rental, preferably with an employee in the frame. Do the same when I return the vehicle, with the employee in a frame. I simply state I am doing this for "mutual protection" and have never gotten any push back. If possible, I will write the damage on the rental contract if a damage form is not noted.

Sep 27, 2018
My solution to this issue is to take photos of the car at the time of rental, preferably with an employee in the frame. Do the same when I return the vehicle, with the employee in a frame. I simply state I am doing this for "mutual protection" and have never gotten any push back. If possible, I will write the damage on the rental contract if a damage form is not noted.
My issue with that solution is if you take pix of damaged areas but later they claim damage in an area that was caused after you returned it, such as a broken taillight when the employee backed into something, you still have no recourse.

Apr 6, 2017
Everyone says pictures--I suggest video also--you could miss something on pictures. I actually start the video is the rental office so I have continuous recording. Its crazy to be so paranoid but that is the way it is.

Jan 6, 2015
Everyone says pictures--I suggest video also--you could miss something on pictures. I actually start the video is the rental office so I have continuous recording. Its crazy to be so paranoid but that is the way it is.
Certainly a valid point. One consideration is that email systems will often limit the size of attachments, which could be a problem when attempting to send a video to the rental agency. The files will much larger than just pictures . . .

Sep 27, 2018
So how would that have helped the person on another thread who was accused of damaging the roof but wasn't tall enough to even see the roof. I had the very same problem, a tall SUV that when I looked out the 2nd floor condo window I could see the top had a huge scrape in it. The only way to see it when renting would have been to have a ladder since it was in the middle between the roof racks. and I am 6'2". Called it in to National who noted it and nothing further was heard. Most likely they went after the previous renter, but who knows when it happened since no one could see it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So how would that have helped the person on another thread who was accused of damaging the roof but wasn't tall enough to even see the roof. I had the very same problem, a tall SUV that when I looked out the 2nd floor condo window I could see the top had a huge scrape in it. The only way to see it when renting would have been to have a ladder since it was in the middle between the roof racks. and I am 6'2". Called it in to National who noted it and nothing further was heard. Most likely they went after the previous renter, but who knows when it happened since no one could see it.
If he would have video'd the roof (which we do) or photographed the roof, he would have had proof that there was no damage to it. Open the door of the vehicle and stand on the floor and photograph the roof. BTW - on that post, someone questioned the writers figures - he said the roof was 65 or 67 inches high - that is 5'5" or 5'7" high - you don't need to be 6'2" to see the roof.