Enterprise Incident Report Notice Received for Acknowledged Damage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 7, 2017
Hi all,

I rented a Dodge Grand Caravan for about 12 days, and I purchased the Damage Waiver for $12 a day.
When I was leaving home to return the vehicle, I noticed that there was a small dent on the trunk door of the van. It looks like something hit it, and it didn't happen while driving.
I returned the car and notified Enterprise that there is a small dent and I was told that since I purchased the Damage Waiver, everything is good and will be taken care of and won't have to do anything.

Then today, about 10 days after the return, I received a FedEx overnight mail with the incident report notice telling me to fill it out and return it.
It doesn't have any specifics about the rental, not even my name on the sheet and it's asking me about my own insurance policy info, witnesses, injuries, police report info, etc.

I thought everything was good since I purchased the DW, but is this a normal procedure?
Also, I don't want to give out my insurance info. I don't think my insurance company will be needed to get involved at all. Do I have to give out all this info?
Any advice on filling out this form?

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2016
Any advice on filling out this form?

Thanks!
my advice is 'don't fill it out'

Is there an email address anywhere on that correspondence? I would email, mention you received the package, mentioned the damage was pre existing to the rental and that you noticed it before you took the car off the lot, but figured you would point it out when you got back because you had the purchased the damage waiver and then ask them why you need to fill out an incident report since there was no incident that occurred during your rental period.

Dec 7, 2017
You should be filing a claim through the insurance. I wouldn’t fill it out- I would remind them you have the waiver and they should be using it.
Insurance, meaning the Damage Waiver correct? I wouldn't want to have my car insurance getting involved in this at all.

Dec 7, 2017
my advice is 'don't fill it out'

Is there an email address anywhere on that correspondence? I would email, mention you received the package, mentioned the damage was pre existing to the rental and that you noticed it before you took the car off the lot, but figured you would point it out when you got back because you had the purchased the damage waiver and then ask them why you need to fill out an incident report since there was no incident that occurred during your rental period.
Thanks for the response. The damage actually happened during the rental period. It just didn't involve any other cars and honestly I don't even know when, where or how that happened. I just noticed it on the morning I was returning the car.

Should I still claim that the damage was pre existing to the rental?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for the response. The damage actually happened during the rental period. It just didn't involve any other cars and honestly I don't even know when, where or how that happened. I just noticed it on the morning I was returning the car.

No- if it occurred when you had it, you can’t lie and say it was there when you picked it up. Lying can void your insurance coverage.

Read the damage waiver and see if there are any restrictions, such as it is secondary to your own insurance.

I might actually call them and tell them you had the waiver and won’t be filling anything out unless they can tell you why.

Feb 9, 2016

How do you know it happened during your rental? do you specifically remember seeing that place and noting no damage, and then seeing that same place again and noticing new damage? or are you assuming it occurred during your rental.

Car rental places are notorious for getting the same ding repaired over and over again, and pocketing a pretty penny because of the repeated repair.

Feb 9, 2016
I might actually call them and tell them you had the waiver and won’t be filling anything out unless they can tell you why.
That is what I would do tho I would say "I paid for the waiver, take it out of that" and not ask them to tell me why I should fill out the form. Now that I say this, I bet filling out the form is a term or condition of being able to use the damage coverage.

and, unless you are positive the damage occurred during your rental, I would deny that it did.