Enterprise Damage Recovery Unit-Help PLEASE!!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 14, 2019
My 21 yr old daughter just received a letter from Enterprise Damage Recovery Unit stating she owes them $2,783.59 for damages sustained during her rental period. The car was given to her for a period of time during a Ford Fusion recall. No copies of the paperwork was ever given to us although she and my wife signed paperwork. No one ever disclosed this damage to us upon return. In fact we got the "all is good" from the local agency when returning the vehicle and again when asked for paperwork they stated none was needed since it was being done via a recall program thru Ford. During the rental period, she did report her tire being slashed which was handled by the local Enterprise agency and we were told by the manager we were not responsible for this issue. The damage letter Enterprise sent us is almost 9 months after the alleged date of loss. The alleged damage was not there when we returned the car. The pictures they sent are not date stamped however we have no paperwork from them for this rental since it was being handled by Ford and Enterprise for the recall. They included an itemized estimate. This is the first we have heard about said damage.

I am reading all the previous posts and success stories and pray I will have the same fortune.

Thanks.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If one looks at this charitably, this is a paperwork mixup. If one looks at the patterns we have seen here, this a fraudulent attempt to charge you for damages caused by others (and charge the other person for the same damages).

We have templates to deal with this:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/enterprise/

Do NOT speak to anyone about this on the phone. Use email only. Ask (DEMAND) by email for all of the data required in the above car-rental-damage post. DENY that any damage was caused during your daughter's use, and repeat that "we got the "all is good" from the local agency when returning the vehicle ". REQUIRE Enterprise to show the mileage and date of the damages they claim.

You should contact the Ford dealer who arranged the rental as they must have paperwork since they had to pay Enterprise. The paperwork that Ford has will have the rental dates and mileage information you need. This may require a face to face visit to the responsible person at the Ford dealer.

Jul 14, 2019
If one looks at this charitably, this is a paperwork mixup. If one looks at the patterns we have seen here, this a fraudulent attempt to charge you for damages caused by others (and charge the other person for the same damages).

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

Do NOT speak to anyone about this on the phone. Use email only. Ask (DEMAND) by email for all of the data required in the above car-rental-damage post. DENY that any damage was caused during your daughter's use, and repeat that "we got the "all is good" from the local agency when returning the vehicle ". REQUIRE Enterprise to show the mileage and date of the damages they claim.

You should contact the Ford dealer who arranged the rental as they must have paperwork since they had to pay Enterprise. The paperwork that Ford has will have the rental dates and mileage information you need. This may require a face to face visit to the responsible person at the Ford dealer.
Thanks so much and I'm on it!!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Front Bumper and Grille is what is stated.
Well a flat tire does NOT cause that kind of damage. So this is a Scam! Best to approach them with the idea that it’s a mistake as this didn’t happen while you had it. Have you contacted the Ford dealership to get their records?

Jul 14, 2019

Weihlac,

Below is my email to the Customer Service Dept for the Springfield Enterprise Agency this incident originated and their response:

To: [email protected]
Subject: Letter from DRU/Rental Agreement 3xxxxx

To whom it may concern:

My 21 year old daughter Hope Rogers had a car rented from this location via Ford during the Ford Fusion recall that occurred in 2018. She recently received a letter from the DRU stating she owes $2,784 for damage sustained during her rental period.
  • This is obviously a Mistake as there was NO damage as alleged when we returned the vehicle.
  • The employee that checked the vehicle when returned gave the "all clear" however we were never given anything in writing and told that we didn't need paperwork since Ford was renting the vehicle for the recall.
If you would please have the following sent to me asap:
  • The original agreement and receipt for said rental from this agency.
  • Time stamped and dated pictures of the damage
  • A picture of the mileage indicator showing the mileage on the car when the damage was noted
  • A copy of the license plate number of the car she was given.
Thanks for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Randyxxxxxxs

[email protected]
4:29 PM (41 minutes ago)
to me
Dear Mxxxxxxxxx,
Thank you for choosing Enterprise for your car rental needs! My name is Stacy. I will be happy to help you today.
I am happy to forward your request to our Damage Recovery Department! A representative from their department will be in touch with you soon!
You can also give them a call if you wish. They are available from 8a-6p, Monday through Friday and can be reached by calling:
866-300-3239
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Have a wonderful day! Your reference number is: 3xxxxx
Sincerely,
Stacy
Enterprise Email Customer Service Representative

Edited by a moderator to remove identifying information.

Last edited by a moderator:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Continue to insist that all communication is by email with copies of all the things you requested. If they call you, politely tell them that they must put all communications into email that can be tracked and referenced.

If they do not comply, escalate your communication to higher-ups in the Enterprise organization.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Give them a week and then go to the first executive we show on our company contacts. This is one of the most ridiculous claims I’ve ever read. A slashed tire cannot do that kind of damage to a car. There has to be an error.

Jul 14, 2019
Give them a week and then go to the first executive we show on our company contacts. This is one of the most ridiculous claims I’ve ever read. A slashed tire cannot do that kind of damage to a car. There has to be an error.
I totally agree especially since there was absolutely no damage anywhere when the vehicle was returned. I sent a duplicate email to the first contact on the list you provided as well and no reply as of yet of course it was just sent today.
Continue to insist that all communication is by email with copies of all the things you requested. If they call you, politely tell them that they must put all communications into email that can be tracked and referenced.

If they do not comply, escalate your communication to higher-ups in the Enterprise organization.
Would you recommend sending the same email to the Damage Recovery Unit as the CS rep suggested? I have only sent the email to Customer Service and the first contact on the list provided by Neil which was the [email protected] email.

Jul 14, 2019
Thanks Neil. Will do.
Good Morning Neil,

After contacting Ford and the local rental agency I received the rental agreements for the period the car was rented. Incidentally, the mileage stated on the damage claim doesn't match the agreement numbers for my daughter's vehicle ie. the mileage when the car was turned in is 41300 however when repairs were done a month later mileage shows 45820. So somebody obviously drove the car some 4500 miles prior to the repair. As suspected no one from the CS department has given me the requested documentations so looks like I will be contacting the primary on the list provided by this forum. My question is, should I re-submit my previous email request to this contact or is there a different approach that you would recommend? Since I have located the rental agreement and clearly their rental agreement numbers do not match coupled with the fact that there was no damage upon return nor any discussion from the local agency of said damage etc...should I include this as well or stick with the basic inquiry?

Thanks for your advice.

Randy

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Good Morning Neil,

After contacting Ford and the local rental agency I received the rental agreements for the period the car was rented. Incidentally, the mileage stated on the damage claim doesn't match the agreement numbers for my daughter's vehicle ie. the mileage when the car was turned in is 41300 however when repairs were done a month later mileage shows 45820. So somebody obviously drove the car some 4500 miles prior to the repair. As suspected no one from the CS department has given me the requested documentations so looks like I will be contacting the primary on the list provided by this forum. My question is, should I re-submit my previous email request to this contact or is there a different approach that you would recommend? Since I have located the rental agreement and clearly their rental agreement numbers do not match coupled with the fact that there was no damage upon return nor any discussion from the local agency of said damage etc...should I include this as well or stick with the basic inquiry?

Thanks for your advice.

Randy
I would pursue this as Neil has outlined; send your complaint up the chain at Enterprise. Include all the information you have obtained (not by attaching anything). However, this type of event is so common on the forums that one has to attribute these cases to serial gross incompetence or perhaps serial felonious fraud. We obviously hear about only a small number of these cases, and the numbers (if they could be tracked) are probably 100's of times more common. How they can come after you and your daughter with a claim that occurred 4500 miles after she returned the car defies reasonable explanation other than gross incompetence or fraud.

The attempt to extort you and your daughter, in this case, is staggering. It is likely that many people simply give in and pay the damages out of fear of being sent to collections and taking a hit on their credit ratings.

If I were involved I would seek out the consumer advocate of your local newspaper and TV stations and see if they would like to publicize the issue. These cases need to be seen in bright daylight and maybe get the attention of both the public and perhaps the DA. I would not mention or threaten to do this. I would simply proceed after the case is dropped by Enterprise.

Jul 14, 2019
Good evening to you both,

So an area manager tried to contact me and my daughter today and left us her cell phone and asked for us to please return her call. I was able to get her email and sent her a copy of the email I sent to the Sr VP of OPs. She tried my daughter again yet did not return my call. I did ask her in my email to please send us everything in writing. My question is, to call or not to call??? At this point I just want this to get resolved. however you all have seen this scenario countless times and clearly have a high success rate. Please advise.

As always Thanks so much.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Good evening to you both,

So an area manager tried to contact me and my daughter today and left us her cell phone and asked for us to please return her call. I was able to get her email and sent her a copy of the email I sent to the Sr VP of OPs. She tried my daughter again yet did not return my call. I did ask her in my email to please send us everything in writing. My question is, to call or not to call??? At this point I just want this to get resolved. however you all have seen this scenario countless times and clearly have a high success rate. Please advise.

As always Thanks so much.
You can return the call, only to reiterate that your daughter has no responsibility for the damages claimed and they must provide you written (electronic) copies of all items you requested. You cannot rely upon anything they say on the phone. If they say the charges are dismissed, you need to insist upon written/electronic confirmation. Advise your daughter not to speak to them.

Jul 14, 2019
Update...The claim was dropped by the area manager and DRU!!! After our phone call the area manager researched the claim and concluded that they would be handling all said damages. I would add that the manager was very professional.
I would encourage all that encounter this same issue to follow the steps as outlined in this forum and be persistent and patient.

Thanks Neil and Weihlac for your advise.