Enterprise claims I caused an accident with one of their customers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
I haven't seen quite this problem in the forums. I did not rent a car from Enterprise but I have received a claim from them that I was at fault in an accident with one of their customers that damaged one of their cars. I was not in an accident with anyone anywhere close to the date that they claim, and since I didn't rent from them I had absolutely no paperwork. I'd appreciate any advice that you can give me. Thank you.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I haven't seen quite this problem in the forums. I did not rent a car from Enterprise but I have received a claim from them that I was at fault in an accident with one of their customers that damaged one of their cars. I was not in an accident with anyone anywhere close to the date that they claim, and since I didn't rent from them I had absolutely no paperwork. I'd appreciate any advice that you can give me. Thank you.
Here are the Enterprise contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/enterprise/

It is likely that they have a license plate # from an accident report that erroneously indicates your plate #.

Deny that you were anywhere near the location or involved in any accident at that time.

Tell them you were not in that location. If you can provide any information that tells where you were on that date and time (like CC purchases, gas receipts, business records) send it to them (do not attach to your first email-simply state that you have the evidence of your location and can send it to them if they request it).

Do NOT talk to them on the phone. Use email only. It may take weeks to resolve this; just stand your ground and repeat your denial of any involvement at that location.

May 1, 2018
Step one for me would be to independently validate the authenticity of the call or letter you received. Don't use any of the contact info contained in the letter. This is a type of common scam where scammer hope you'll just pay up to avoid issue. I say this because "Enterprise" doesn't handle damage to vehicles. They have a 3rd party vendor that handles it all.

Thanks for the quick response. I did verify that it is the real Enterprise pursuing this. Concerning weihlac's response, the letter gave absolutely no information about the accident except the date and the claim number. Should I send the first email requesting details to the Damage Recovery Unit (cited in the letter) or to the Primary Contact listed in your company contacts link?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thanks for the quick response. I did verify that it is the real Enterprise pursuing this. Concerning weihlac's response, the letter gave absolutely no information about the accident except the date and the claim number. Should I send the first email requesting details to the Damage Recovery Unit (cited in the letter) or to the Primary Contact listed in your company contacts link?
Send the first response to the DRU requesting ALL details. If they persist then move to the Enterprise contacts.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should also alert your auto insurance company, in case Enterprise tries to bypass you and go straight to your insurance.
How can they go to his insurance company when they don’t have the information?

To our OP- you say you were not involved in an accident “close to that date”. What does that mean? Were you in an accident at another time?

Sep 9, 2018
How can they go to his insurance company when they don’t have the information?

To our OP- you say you were not involved in an accident “close to that date”. What does that mean? Were you in an accident at another time?
That's what I asked yesterday. If the OP was in an accident on a previous occasion, perhaps paperwork somehow was mixed up?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That's what I asked yesterday. If the OP was in an accident on a previous occasion, perhaps paperwork somehow was mixed up?
And that wasn’t answered and could be critical to this case.

If people are going to post here foe help, we need the full story - comments like this require us to ask more questions to get to the true crux of the problem.