enterprise claimed damage i didn't do

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 19, 2019
For starter, Im aware of and have read the guide to fight against the rental car companies

My situation is that, when I returned the car to SoCal branch, rental agent noticed a scratch and charged my credit card on the spot for 500$ (my insurance deductible )
A week later, their Kansas cooperate? office sent me physical letter requesting me to file a claim to my insurance and/or credit card company and give them claim
information(claim number, company name address all that).

The scratch was very likely done by previous renter because there were broken tail light & bumper dents marked down as pre x damage when i took out the car. The new scratch and aforementioned pre x damages were all on the same quadrant of the car. The rental agent also failed to do proper walk around & did not have me sign any damage diagram paper before handing me the key

So my question is, should I go ahead and file the claim with my CC company? they do offer rental car coverage and I did no buy coverage from rental.
When i reply to rental, do I just give them claim info? or should i give them the info AND request for document listed in the guide? or only request for the items?

thank you

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you take pictures when you picked up the car showing the scratch? Did you point it out to the agents before you left? You say there was pre existing damage that was marked- was the scratch in the same area?

You should contact your cc and report the claim but I would follow the instructions and still flight will ty the car rental company especially if the scratch was in the same area of the marked damage. You don’t want to miss the time frame to report the claim.

Jan 19, 2019
Did you take pictures when you picked up the car showing the scratch? Did you point it out to the agents before you left? You say there was pre existing damage that was marked- was the scratch in the same area?

You should contact your cc and report the claim but I would follow the instructions and still flight will ty the car rental company especially if the scratch was in the same area of the marked damage. You don’t want to miss the time frame to report the claim.
The only damage I noticed when picking up the car was the dent on bumper. I saw broken taillight in the middle of rental and called them about it, and they told me it was marked down. The scratch was the surprise damage they pulled on me. I took picture of the 2 pre x DURING the rental and the scratch (the new dmg) AFTER I returned the car and agent pointed it out.

And yes, the scratch was very close to the 2 pre x damages, everything is on the rear passenger side. The scratch was on the rear rocker panel to be precise (see img)
rocker.jpg

Also they have not sent me any invoices, so will file the claim with my CC now. thank you!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would argue that the scratch was where the pre-ex damage was and you didn’t cause it. You don’t need the invoice immediately for the cc - you can tell them you are arguing with them about the damage- but you want to file a possible claim to keep within the guidelines of their rules for filing a potential claim.