Enterprise claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 16, 2018
Hello
I have been reading this thread and followed the instructions for contacting enterprise. After returning the car, Enterprise is claiming over $3,000 in damage. I went ahead and followed the chain of command using the information that was told to be requested. I received a letter in the mail stating they will reach out shortly. After several weeks of not hearing anything, I reached back out to the primary contact and was contacted by someone from the local store wanting to talk but diverted him to email. They have only sent pictures of the damage and nothing else that I have requested. My question is how do I go about emailing them back? What should I state in that email?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should go to the next person we show on the corporate contacts and tell them that you haven’t received the information you asked for. You want pictures of the license and the odometer proving this was found with you returned the car and not the person after you

Nov 16, 2018
You should go to the next person we show on the corporate contacts and tell them that you haven’t received the information you asked for. You want pictures of the license and the odometer proving this was found with you returned the car and not the person after you
This is what the response was from the unit manager after several emails and going the the 1st point of contact. They only sent me photos of the car at the body repair shop, the license plate, and a picture in the system stating I was the last person to rent the car. My concern is that it took 10 days after my return for the car to be sent to the repair shop. What should I do next? I am grateful for all input.
I have taken a screen shot of the unit history to show the unit upon return was sent to our Service Center for the headlight issue and that is when the damages were found to the rental car. Your rental dates were from July 1st thru July 31st where 5,937 miles were put on the rental car during your rental which prompted our internal system that an oil change was needed. When the rental was at our Service Center for the oil change, they noticed the headlight was not working and that is when the additional damage was found. There was a high amount of glue holding the right front bumper to the car and there were drywall screws holding the non-working headlight into the car. I attempted to reach you myself, but we didn’t have good working numbers to reach you as you can see by how I wrote the claim below.

Our shop doesn’t have time stamped photos that I sent with my last e-mail, but I did include a screen shot that the body shop got the car on August 10th after our Service Center was not able to complete all of the repairs themselves. I have attached a photo of the license plate to show the repairs do match the unit you rented and were last in possession of before the unit was shopped for the repairs. There is no incident report to show you as I mentioned earlier that the damage was found when our Service Center was completing the oil change on the unit and had it up in the air for inspection.

Please feel to contact me via telephone to further discuss the claim or have your insurance company contact myself or our claims department regarding the damages. Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do what I told you in post 2. Stop dealing with the manager there and go to the first Corporate executive we show on our contacts and write to them. Tell him or her you asked for the rentals before and after yours to see if there were any notations on them and you want proof of what the odometer was when they found the damage and what the mileage was when the next renter picked it up. State you did not damage the car and you believe it was someone who rented after you.

This is the thread you should be using for this:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

Nov 16, 2018
Do what I told you in post 2. Stop dealing with the manager there and go to the first Corporate executive we show on our contacts and write to them. Tell him or her you asked for the rentals before and after yours to see if there were any notations on them and you want proof of what the odometer was when they found the damage and what the mileage was when the next renter picked it up. State you did not damage the car and you believe it was someone who rented after you.

This is the thread you should be using for this:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/
Thank you. They told me that I was no one after me. The car was sent for an oil change and that is when the damage was found.

Mar 14, 2018
It's probably better to assert the damage was pre-existing when you received the car. They've acknowledged that it was concealed and only discovered when the car was brought to a service center. Unless the service center inspected the car just before it was rented to you, how can they maintain that it wasn't caused by a previous renter?

Nov 16, 2018
It's probably better to assert the damage was pre-existing when you received the car. They've acknowledged that it was concealed and only discovered when the car was brought to a service center. Unless the service center inspected the car just before it was rented to you, how can they maintain that it wasn't caused by a previous renter?
Okay I will make note of this in my letter as well. Thank you

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If they acknowledged it was concealed then when you appeal to Executives tell them that the damage could have been there for months and they can’t prove you did it or anyone before you didn’t do it.

Nov 16, 2018
If they acknowledged it was concealed then when you appeal to Executives tell them that the damage could have been there for months and they can’t prove you did it or anyone before you didn’t do it.
I have already written the first executive and was contacted by the branch manager. Should I write the first executive again or advance to the second?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Don’t deal with the Branch. Write to the second executive. Tell him you write to Executives one ego steered you back to the branch manager who will not provide you with any of the details you asked for proving you did the damage. State that their onsite employee did a walk around when you returned the car and he didnt note any damage and you are disputing the blame being put on you- you say the damage was pre-existing and may have been there a long time and unless they can prove you did it you will dispute any charges to your car.

Nov 16, 2018
This is the email I received. I was forwarded to the branch again.
"I have received the e-mail that you sent to our Corporate office as all claims are handled on a local level and that is the reason that I’m responding to your latest e-mail. I will attempt to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

I agree with you that when you returned the rental car that no damage was found upon return as I mention in yesterday’s e-mail, the damage was found by our Service Center while performing the oil change and thru normal inspection of the vehicle, they noticed the headlight was not working. This would be very unusual for a car with under 8,000 miles for the headlight to be out. When they attempted to find the cause of the headlight not working is when they found the “home repair” of glue and dry wall screws holding the headlight and bumper attached to the car. There would be no possible way to find this damage during a walk around with the renter, so you are correct that there is no receipt upon return stating there was damage found. As I stated in yesterday’s e-mail, I personally attempted to reach you via phone but the work # listed in your profile was the wrong number and the home number said the line was not accepting phone calls. There was no e-mail in your profile to reach you as I have provided a screen shot of your rental profile.

I attached a copy of the license plate yesterday and I will provide another copy of the license plate today as well. I don’t have a picture of the odometer, but I did provide a screen shot of the estimate from the body shop listing the mileage as 7,905 which is a difference of only 8 miles from when you returned the rental car on July 31st. There is no copy of the incident report as the damage was found after you left the location, so there would only be the internal claim that I created when I was notified of the damages to the rental car and the need for a claim for the damages.

We have researched ever contract and rental notes prior to your rental and there is not one note about the headlight not working or any prior damage until the unit was returned by yourself on July 31st and that is why our belief is that you are responsible for the damages that must have happen while in your care. There is not one note during the month rental where you called in to say the headlight was not working properly and I would assume you would have noticed a non-working headlight during your month long rental to bring to our attention. There is no mention of the headlight not working upon return as well. Our stance is that you will be responsible for the damages to the rental car and we suggest contacting your insurance company to assist you in the claims process. If you have any questions about this decision, please feel free to reach back out to me. Thank you for your time and I hope we can resolve this claim."
Unsure how to proceed from here. This was after emailing the second contact in the chain of command

Mar 14, 2018
Great letter for you. He agreed there would be no way to detect the damage on a walk through inspection.

His point about previous renters not reporting a non-working headline is pretty weak. After all, the person who caused the damage wouldn't report it. And some previous renters may not have driven at night, or may not have noticed the light was out if they had.

Stop worrying about the license plate and odometer pictures and incident reports (for now). That's only if you are asserting the damage occurred after you returned the car and just serves to confuse the issue.

I suggest you keep your responses very direct. "I did not cause any damage to the car nor did I perform any repairs. The damage you report must therefore have been caused by a previous renter. As you have agreed, the damage could not be detected without a thorough inspection which was not performed before you rented me the car. It's not surprising that the renter who attempted to conceal this damage would not report it to you, so the absence of earlier rental notes doesn't provide a basis for assuming the damage wasn't pre-existing."

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Go back to the next executive and tell him that the they admit that there was no way to detect the damages and it could have been from ANYONE who rented before you and that you will not accept being charged with this. They discovered it when they did an oil change and since you were the last one to rent it, they are trying to blame you. State you did not have anything to do with the gluing or anything else of that headlight and you will not accept the blame for it.

Did you even use the headlights to determine if they worked or not?

Nov 16, 2018
Don’t deal with the Branch. Write to the second executive. Tell him you write to Executives one ego steered you back to the branch manager who will not provide you with any of the details you asked for proving you did the damage. State that their onsite employee did a walk around when you returned the car and he didnt note any damage and you are disputing the blame being put on you- you say the damage was pre-existing and may have been there a long time and unless they can prove you did it you will dispute any charges to your car.
I have posted the response that I received below

Nov 16, 2018
Go back to the next executive and tell him that the they admit that there was no way to detect the damages and it could have been from ANYONE who rented before you and that you will not accept being charged with this. They discovered it when they did an oil change and since you were the last one to rent it, they are trying to blame you. State you did not have anything to do with the gluing or anything else of that headlight and you will not accept the blame for it.

Did you even use the headlights to determine if they worked or not?
I did not recall the headlights not working. Furthermore, I believe I was charged for bumper damage. I will have to double check and see. Was this not able to be seen on inspection?

Nov 16, 2018
Great letter for you. He agreed there would be no way to detect the damage on a walk through inspection.

His point about previous renters not reporting a non-working headline is pretty weak. After all, the person who caused the damage wouldn't report it. And some previous renters may not have driven at night, or may not have noticed the light was out if they had.

Stop worrying about the license plate and odometer pictures and incident reports (for now). That's only if you are asserting the damage occurred after you returned the car and just serves to confuse the issue.

I suggest you keep your responses very direct. "I did not cause any damage to the car nor did I perform any repairs. The damage you report must therefore have been caused by a previous renter. As you have agreed, the damage could not be detected without a thorough inspection which was not performed before you rented me the car. It's not surprising that the renter who attempted to conceal this damage would not report it to you, so the absence of earlier rental notes doesn't provide a basis for assuming the damage wasn't pre-existing."
I am now appealing to the chief executive on the list. It says that he shouldn't be contacted with customer service issues. Should I proceed?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes. And state no one contacted you and give turn your phone number to call.

Explain you would not normally contact him but are frustrated that no one is reading what you are writing and they are telling you that no one would have seen rust damage which is proof it could have been caused by a prior renter and you are the scapegoat here.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
He says you had the car for a month? True? And did you drive the car a night??? You certainly would have noticed a non working headlight.