Enterprise charged me for damage with no proof

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 5, 2018
I recently was sideswiped on the road and had been renting a car through another drivers insurance.

I returned my rental car to the car repair place as instructed and they returned the car on my behalf. I got a call the next day telling me there were scratches on the driver side door.

I was unfamiliar with what they were talking about, but they told me they'd have to take a $500 deductable for the damage. None of this sounded right, so I asked to see pictures of the scratches and was told the vehicle was already at damage recovery.

I was told that they would have the DRU call me and send me those pictures. Nothing. Called again to ask for those pictures. I was told they'd be emailed shortly. Nothing.

I was also told that DRU would call me and that I would be told how much the repairs cost and would be given an opportunity to appeal and also refunded immediately for the difference in cost between the repairs and my deposit. Again, nothing.

I would like some proof of these scratches or I need my deposit back. I had been uncomfortable with them even charging my card and considered calling my bank to cancel the payment, but trusted the process would show me what happened. Now I am considering calling and taking action.

Please advise! Im not sure what else to do at this point and could use help.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I recently was sideswiped on the road and had been renting a car through another drivers insurance.

I returned my rental car to the car repair place as instructed and they returned the car on my behalf. I got a call the next day telling me there were scratches on the driver side door.

I was unfamiliar with what they were talking about, but they told me they'd have to take a $500 deductable for the damage. None of this sounded right, so I asked to see pictures of the scratches and was told the vehicle was already at damage recovery.

I was told that they would have the DRU call me and send me those pictures. Nothing. Called again to ask for those pictures. I was told they'd be emailed shortly. Nothing.

I was also told that DRU would call me and that I would be told how much the repairs cost and would be given an opportunity to appeal and also refunded immediately for the difference in cost between the repairs and my deposit. Again, nothing.

I would like some proof of these scratches or I need my deposit back. I had been uncomfortable with them even charging my card and considered calling my bank to cancel the payment, but trusted the process would show me what happened. Now I am considering calling and taking action.

Please advise! Im not sure what else to do at this point and could use help.
This is confusing. You say "I recently was sideswiped on the road". Therefore there was damage "scratches on the driver side door". Did you inspect the car after being sideswiped? Did you take pictures? Why did you return the car to " the car repair place " if there was no damage?

What does "renting a car through another drivers insurance" mean? If you rent a car, you either use the rental car insurance, your own insurance or insurance through the credit card you used to pay for the rental. Were you driving a rental car rented by someone else?

Unless you had taken out the no deductible insurance on the rental you will be charged. If you did not take out any insurance you will be charged the full amount of the repair. Your own car insurance may pay some of the cost.

Did you pay for the rental with a credit card? If so you may have rental damage insurance through the credit card.

Nov 5, 2018
This is confusing. You say "I recently was sideswiped on the road". Therefore there was damage "scratches on the driver side door". Did you inspect the car after being sideswiped? Did you take pictures? Why did you return the car to " the car repair place " if there was no damage?

What does "renting a car through another drivers insurance" mean? If you rent a car, you either use the rental car insurance, your own insurance or insurance through the credit card you used to pay for the rental. Were you driving a rental car rented by someone else?

Unless you had taken out the no deductible insurance on the rental you will be charged. If you did not take out any insurance you will be charged the full amount of the repair. Your own car insurance may pay some of the cost.

Did you pay for the rental with a credit card? If so you may have rental damage insurance through the credit card.
I'm simply stating why I was in a rental to begin with. I own a car, it was sideswiped, and then I filed a claim with the other drivers insurance. The other drivers insurance set me up in a rental through Enterprise.

I don't believe I have that kind of insurance through my credit card. My point here remains that I have not received any proof of damage but am being charged for damage.

Jan 22, 2015
Colorado

I think what the OP was trying to say is that they were in an accident in their own car when they were sideswiped.
Their car was in the shop
The rental car that they were in is what was alleged to have been damaged

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I think what the OP was trying to say is that they were in an accident in their own car when they were sideswiped.
Their car was in the shop
The rental car that they were in is what was alleged to have been damaged
The OP needs to clarify a lot of things. What we "think" does not help in giving any useful advice. You can't " renting a car through another drivers insurance ". It is either your insurance, the rental car insurance or your CC insurance unless the OP is a named insured on the other person's policy.

Nov 5, 2018
The OP needs to clarify a lot of things. What we "think" does not help in giving any useful advice. You can't " renting a car through another drivers insurance ". It is either your insurance, the rental car insurance or your CC insurance unless the OP is a named insured on the other person's policy.

Yes you absolutely can rent a car through another drivers insurance. If someone hits you in an accident, and you file the claim through their insurance, they will rent a car for you.

It is fairly common and I think it was straightforward enough to not warrant clarification.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes you absolutely can rent a car through another drivers insurance. If someone hits you in an accident, and you file the claim through their insurance, they will rent a car for you.

It is fairly common and I think it was straightforward enough to not warrant clarification.
I’ve never heard of this.

Are you saying your car was in the repair shop after being sideswiped, the insurance company of the person who hit you paid for a rental car . You returned the rental car when your car was ready and later were notified of scratches on the car that you didn’t do? I think that’s what you mean.

If so - follow the instructions on this thread

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

Most claims are dropped with this process is filed exactly as written.

In the future- take pictures at pick up and drop off so you have proof that the car looked exactly as it did when you picked it up when you dropped it off.

Let us know how the process works.