Enterprise Charge months later

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 11, 2018
The somewhat short version...
My car was hit by a fed ex truck I caught on video. Fedex took full responsibly and agreed to pay for repairs as well as the rental vehicle.
The shop I chose to make the repairs then offered to take over communications with the insurance adjuster and work everything out on my behalf. They set me up with a rental from the enterprise they work closely with. When I went to pick up the rental both repair shop and enterprise assured me that Fedex insurance would be charged for the rental. At the enterprise office they asked me for a credit card to place a deposit but told me not to worry because the billing would be transferred over to fedex insurance...sign sign sign and your on your way with a car similar to yours (I have a bmw 430) they didn't even bother to tell me the rate of the car because after all it didn't matter and it was all very rushed. I asked several times if there would be an issue with the rental but I was reassured that all was good and not to worry they handle this kind of thing all the time.
45 days later on August 21st the body shop finally received a check from fedex for the repairs to my car, and so I returned the rental to Enterprise at which point they said all was good and enjoy your day.
Mid November I realize my credit card has a $3851 charge on it from Enterprise made on Nov 6th. I call to inquire wth is going on and the manager tells me that they left the fedex adjuster 2 messages and he never got back to them so they went ahead and charged my card. No phone call, no email, no bill, nothing to notify me.
So Fed ex adjusters, if you've ever had the pleasure to deal with them are moody and hard to contact, I did however finally sneak my way into being directly transferred to him at which point the adjuster told me they were never directly billed by enterprise for the rental and there's a special insurance system and yes we were supposed to be responsible for the rental so fax me the bill. So I do and adjuster calls me to say there's a problem with the rate and they don't cover that much and the max they'll cover is maybe 45-50 per day but apparently the car I had was 79 per day but they'll escalate the situation however they don't know when or what will happen.
So now weeks later and I've heard nothing but the same thing, we are escalating your request and get back to you. I know there's more than one party at fault for this disaster, but since this is an enterprise thread...I do feel like they have a large responsibility in this because had they at any point in time during those 45 days I had their car informed me that there was some kind of issue with payment it probably could have been dealt with or avoided entirely. I don't see how a company can just take your credit card information months later and charge it for an insane amount of money without even contacting you.
I really don't know what to do with any of this all I know is i'm out $3850, my credit already dropped over it....I tried to dispute it to chase but chase could care less since i'm just a regular person and not a millionaire. Wondering if anyone's been in a similar situation or has any advice for me. Feeling very helpless right now. :(

Sep 19, 2015
FedEx has to deal with Enterprise on this, it is a shame you were dragged into it. Enterprise working with insurance companies should be aware of the reimbursement limit— so if Enterprise gave too expensive of a car that is their fault.

I would consider also writing to Enterprise in addition to FedEx as Enterprise should not be handing out too expensive a car for the insurance company reimbursement rate.

Dec 11, 2018
This appears to be a FedEx issue. Enterprise will not fi it. Chase will not fix it.

Here are the FedEx contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/fedex/

Email the first cust serv person and move up weekly if no/negative response. Do not attach anything to the first email. Do not call anyone at either organization. All communication needs to be by email for record keeping.
Thank you for the advice.

Dec 19, 2014
This appears to be a FedEx issue. Enterprise will not fi it. Chase will not fix it.

Here are the FedEx contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/fedex/

Email the first cust serv person and move up weekly if no/negative response. Do not attach anything to the first email. Do not call anyone at either organization. All communication needs to be by email for record keeping.
My initial impression was the same. This is a FedEx issue. However, after reading the OP's post over again, I'm not sure that Enterprise is not culpable

I suspect the body shop and Enterprise have a "secret" agreement whereas the body shop steers customers to Enterprise for a kickback. Not stating whether this is legal or not, but the promise by Enterprise to "file all the paperwork" and "insurance will take care of it" is not the proper way to do business. The insurance company has a contracted rate for accident claims. Enterprise SHOULD know this, and if they knowingly gave the OP a rate/car that exceeds the maximum allowable contract rate without disclosure, then that is unethical.

Chase won't do anything and should not be expected to do anything. The OP has signed the rental agreement and there is always going to be a clause in the contract that if a 3rd party does not pay the bill, then the renter is liable. Chase will side with Enterprise

Even though FedEx, while they are liable, shouldn't be expected to pay an unreasonable daily rental rate. What can be debated is what is reasonable? $20, $30, $50, $80 or $150 a day. While an appeal to FedEx's insurance carrier may result in this being settled, I would also write the Enterprise executives. At best, something hinky is going on between the body shop and the local Enterprise franchise.

Sep 19, 2015
If one has rental car reimbursement on the car insurance the insurance company has a “preferred provider” list because they have specially negotiated rates with that company.

But the entire situation is a mess. Enterprise knowing that it is insurance reimbursement must be aware of daily policy limits on rental cars — most will not pay for an exotic car rental for example.

This is why I thought FedEx and Enterprise should be contacted— although FedEx may point to the insurance carrier and say out of our hands.