Enterprise asking for exorbitant damage charges

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
I rented an enterprise car about 2 months ago. I wanted to use it to drive within the city and so I declined the Damage Waiver protection. While taking the car, we noticed some scratches on the right door but were noted to be insignificant as they were small but present. Enterprise executive told me they would note it down on the agreement (which they didn't and they didn't send me by mail either - upon calling them later about the agreement, they told me they can now mail the agreement only at the end of booking period).

It so happened that overnight, when the car was parked, someone may have bruised my car in the parking lot, on the same right door panel. Next day when I returned the car, enterprise noted the scratches and informed me of damage. I had no insurance nor Damage Waiver and hence they charged me a $500 deductible at the time.

Two months later, they now send me an invoice for $1700. Firstly I didn't damage the car, and moreover, I feel enterprise is charging me for way too many things. Ours was simple scratches & I feel they charged me for everything that pre-existed too saying there is no recorded damage to the car. My rental agreement also does not reflect any damage (which it should have).

Secondly, apart from feeling being unfairly charged, I am still a student and in no position to pay the remaining $1200 for damages (which I didn't do anyway).

Any advice on what can I do in such a scenario?

Thank you so much.

Jun 30, 2017
You are responsible for any damages that occur when you rent the car. I don't know what "bruised my car" means but "bruises" on a car do not heal and you are responsible for the damage regardless of the fact that "I didn't do anyway". The car was in your possession and you chose to accept a rental without any insurance (did you check to see if your credit card covers rental cars?). You also did not receive documentation of the pre-existing scratches, which is done on a sheet entirely separate from the "agreement" and must be given to the renter at time of rental, and you now have no way to prove they were there when you picked up the car.

You can dispute the $$ amount but unfortunately, you are responsible for the damages. $1700 is a high charge for a single panel damage claim. Was there damage noted on more than the passenger side door? Unfortunately, damage to a door also may involve the front fender as well, making it a two-panel damage claim, where $1700 is a possible cost.

Hi, @weihlac thanks for your response.

To elaborate bruises, it's like someone reversing their car must have scratched my car on the side door.

Credit Card - they used to cover rental cars when I checked last year but after the incident, they told me they discontinued that benefit beginning March this year.

The scratch was a single scratch going all the way from Driver side passenger door to rear passenger door and there was a 1-inch dent. They have charged me $150 dollar for new parts, $160 for paint. $100 admin fees, $170 loss of business, $134 diminishment and $1100 Labor charges (30 hours worth of effort).

The line items indicate work ranging from rear view mirror to rear lights!

I just need to know what are my options apart from paying up remaining $1200.

Jun 30, 2017

To elaborate bruises, it's like someone reversing their car must have scratched my car on the side door.

Credit Card - they used to cover rental cars when I checked last year but after the incident, they told me they discontinued that benefit beginning March this year.

The scratch was a single scratch going all the way from Driver side passenger door to rear passenger door and there was a 1-inch dent. They have charged me $150 dollar for new parts, $160 for paint. $100 admin fees, $170 loss of business, $134 diminishment and $1100 Labor charges (30 hours worth of effort).

You can dispute the previous damages which were not documented, and you can escalate as this forum advises.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.1514/

You have described a 2-panel damage to the car however; this is not inexpensive to repair but you may be able to get the $100 admin fees, $170 loss of business, $134 diminishment charges reduced or eliminated.

Jun 30, 2017

https://www.enterprisecarshare.ca/ca/en/programs/retail/toronto/the-damage-evaluator-tool.html

If this was not done by the agent or you were not told about it, you can dispute the lack of protocol.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Follow the process in post 4.

Mar 17, 2015
Follow the steps, but just to add that I had maybe a 2 inch by 2 inch scratch on my door from scraping against a concrete pillar about 8 years ago and it was over $800 to get that repaired. I checked 3 different body shops, all quoted around the same price. So, I don't know that the charge is really that high. 5 years ago, a guy backed his truck into my car and it was over $1,800 to get it repaired as it was on both door panels and the rear bumper.

Dec 11, 2016
Years ago, someone backed into the side of my car and dented both passenger doors. The repair cost was ~$2500. All collision damage seems extreme cost-wise, but that doesn't mean it isn't realistic.

I would certainly protest what others have mentioned, including any non-related parts/labor. Why the heck would they charge you for a rear view mirror?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My colleagues have outlined how to fight this. Body work on today's cars is extremely expensive ... not like when I was growing up where they buffed out most of the problems ... now most of the car is plastic, so entire panels need to be replaced. Rental car companies have been trying to cheat their customers for quite some time. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a guy renting out of his own garage or one of the top name brands, they're all doing it. Obtain an estimate from them to repair the car, then check a body shop to confirm that the damage you did do is being billed to your correctly. They'll do their best to dance around and make you pay for everything ... be polite, be firm, be persistent; our plan usually works.