Engine Malfunction Cause us over $4400 to Get Home

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 23, 2016
Actually it couldn't be an implied contractual obligation, the contract states specifically that they are not liable. This is what they will point to in arbitration or small claims.

(c) Itinerary Deviation: The Guest agrees that the Carrier has the sole discretion and liberty to direct the movements of the vessel, including the rights to: proceed without pilots and tow, and assist other vessels in all situations; deviate from the purchased voyage or the normal course for any purpose, including, without limitation, in the interest of Guests or of the vessel, or to save life or property; put in at any unscheduled or unadvertised port; cancel any scheduled call at any port for any reason and at any time before, during or after sailing of the vessel; omit, advance or delay landing at any scheduled or advertised port; return to port of embarkation or to any port previously visited if the Carrier deems it prudent to do so; substitute another vessel or port(s) of call without prior notice and without incurring any liability to the Guest on account thereof for any loss, damage or delay whatsoever, whether consequential or otherwise.
Basically the same thing as the airlines who don't pay compensation for missed events or work when flights are delayed.
So I guess according to the opinion of Realitoes, I would lose my case...is that the take away???

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So I guess according to the opinion of Realitoes, I would lose my case...is that the take away???
I don't think any of us can say that with any certainty. If it costs you nothing to arbitrate and only filing fees to go to small claims court what is the worst that can happen?
You lose? You already have lost money so what is the harm?

This truly stinks. I think you have brought this to the attention of a lot of people.

If you have completed all the writing steps and still come up with a no or no answer, try and resubmit the case using the Help button. Advise that you have done all the writing to the executives and see if the writers will take the case and contact NCL and see what they can do. That is our normal advice. Sometimes a story on things like this can get you something.

Sep 23, 2016
I don't think any of us can say that with any certainty. If it costs you nothing to arbitrate and only filing fees to go to small claims court what is the worst that can happen?
You lose? You already have lost money so what is the harm?

This truly stinks. I think you have brought this to the attention of a lot of people.

If you have completed all the writing steps and still come up with a no or no answer, try and resubmit the case using the Help button. Advise that you have done all the writing to the executives and see if the writers will take the case and contact NCL and see what they can do. That is our normal advice. Sometimes a story on things like this can get you something.
You do make a good point....I have come this far so another few bucks to file shouldn't stand in my way.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
But before you do that, if you have copies of all correspondence with the executives, go back to the help tab and contact the writers. They will ask for all your correspondence and if they think they can help they will contact NCL. Exhaust all avenues here first.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Little consolation for you, Steven, but you have done a great educational service to anyone reading your thread. Who would think that the consumer can be left holding the bag if the cruise line doesn't feel like making it right?

I finally started buying travel insurance on monies that I don't want to lose. Cruises, tours ... anything prepaid. I evaluated buying insurance on airline tix, but concluded that, based on my history, I can absorb the occasional change fee.

Sep 23, 2016
Little consolation for you, Steven, but you have done a great educational service to anyone reading your thread. Who would think that the consumer can be left holding the bag if the cruise line doesn't feel like making it right?

I finally started buying travel insurance on monies that I don't want to lose. Cruises, tours ... anything prepaid. I evaluated buying insurance on airline tix, but concluded that, based on my history, I can absorb the occasional change fee.
On major trips I also buy travel insurance....but there are also limits on the policy that you usually don't become well aware of until you need to use it. In this case the policy provided $500/person...so for the two of us that would mean the policy would pay $1,000.
But from that they deduct anything received from the cruise line. Since NCL was offering $1150 of the $4483, the insurance coverage was nil.

Sep 23, 2016
But before you do that, if you have copies of all correspondence with the executives, go back to the help tab and contact the writers. They will ask for all your correspondence and if they think they can help they will contact NCL. Exhaust all avenues here first.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the link...I resubmitted this evening and will wait to see what others may say/think.

R

Realitoes

This delay, caused us and countless other passengers to miss their flights home at considerable expense.....$4,483.11 to be exact. Booking last minute one way flights is outrageous...that alone was $4,056.12. A return flight was even completely booked for two days on the same airline. .
According to your initial post, you booked last minute one way flights. It appears you already had flights, were you not able to arrange to change those? In my experience, changing your return flight normally cost the change fee (and possibly some fare difference). Did you no show the flight without calling to cancel/re-book? Was this a super restrictive fare that didn't allow changes?

The reason NCL offered the amounts they did, is because normally you can change your return flight for a fee rather than buying two last minute one way tickets. I believe they may owe you something for the inconvenience, but if you no showed your flight without notifying the airline or booked a super restrictive ticket to save a few bucks, not sure they really owe you the price of new tickets.

Sep 23, 2016
According to your initial post, you booked last minute one way flights. It appears you already had flights, were you not able to arrange to change those? In my experience, changing your return flight normally cost the change fee (and possibly some fare difference). Did you no show the flight without calling to cancel/re-book? Was this a super restrictive fare that didn't allow changes?

The reason NCL offered the amounts they did, is because normally you can change your return flight for a fee rather than buying two last minute one way tickets. I believe they may owe you something for the inconvenience, but if you no showed your flight without notifying the airline or booked a super restrictive ticket to save a few bucks, not sure they really owe you the price of new tickets.
Yes, we did have return flights already booked on Icelandair. When news broke out about this delay, it was chaos on board with little direction from the ship's staff as to how passengers should proceed. It took several hours before they even had a room with computers for passengers to use. It was almost impossible to even get on a computer to contact agents/airlines....you had to wait hours just to get on a computer as the lines were ridiculous and connections often failed. I was able on my phone to make a connection with a travel agent back home and they were on the phone waiting for 45 minutes to get thru to Icelandair and finally gave up. It is not like I was sitting at home with lots of time and options to look at. Time was of the essence. That agent was only able to find us a flight on another airline for $3,000pp and that was to JFK....and not the airport were our car was parked.
The Icelandair flight had been booked thru Expedia, and I was able to make a connection on board with them. The flights on Icelandair were booked for the next two days. The best they were able to find for us was on another airline at $2,028.06pp. Remember this was all done onboard with connections that come and go so we did not have much time to deliberate. We took what was the most reasonable arrangements for us to get home.

Aug 29, 2015
Yes, we did have return flights already booked on Icelandair. When news broke out about this delay, it was chaos on board with little direction from the ship's staff as to how passengers should proceed. It took several hours before they even had a room with computers for passengers to use. It was almost impossible to even get on a computer to contact agents/airlines....you had to wait hours just to get on a computer as the lines were ridiculous and connections often failed. I was able on my phone to make a connection with a travel agent back home and they were on the phone waiting for 45 minutes to get thru to Icelandair and finally gave up. It is not like I was sitting at home with lots of time and options to look at. Time was of the essence. That agent was only able to find us a flight on another airline for $3,000pp and that was to JFK....and not the airport were our car was parked.
The Icelandair flight had been booked thru Expedia, and I was able to make a connection on board with them. The flights on Icelandair were booked for the next two days. The best they were able to find for us was on another airline at $2,028.06pp. Remember this was all done onboard with connections that come and go so we did not have much time to deliberate. We took what was the most reasonable arrangements for us to get home.
This is the important part.
I have a friend who does IT on a cruise ship, although not the one you were on. When there is cloud cover or fog, the satellite feed to the Internet and cell service is often horrid.

To anyone who doesn't understand what is really going on, that may not be understood.

You will need to explain this, though. You had air reservations made within cruiseline recommendations, after the time they told you. The ship was substantially delayed and virtually all passengers needed to make arrangements.
Due to atmospheric conditions, the same conditions that delayed your ship, you could not maintain a good Internet or phone connection.

You finally reached Expedia, who you had booked through, and there was not a flight available for at least the next two days on your original airline.

You reached another travel agent, who was able to book you on a reasonable flight to get you close to h o me at a cost of $3000 per person.

Those are the most important details.

Sep 23, 2016
This is the important part.
I have a friend who does IT on a cruise ship, although not the one you were on. When there is cloud cover or fog, the satellite feed to the Internet and cell service is often horrid.

To anyone who doesn't understand what is really going on, that may not be understood.

You will need to explain this, though. You had air reservations made within cruiseline recommendations, after the time they told you. The ship was substantially delayed and virtually all passengers needed to make arrangements.
Due to atmospheric conditions, the same conditions that delayed your ship, you could not maintain a good Internet or phone connection.

You finally reached Expedia, who you had booked through, and there was not a flight available for at least the next two days on your original airline.

You reached another travel agent, who was able to book you on a reasonable flight to get you close to h o me at a cost of $3000 per person.

Those are the most important details.
Yes, those are very important points....actually we made back to the original airport for $2,028.06pp

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
This is crazy but there is not a chance in this world or the next that I would EVER book $6000 worth of airline tickets and think that I'd get my money back! Frankly I would have stay d and enjoyed two days and fight the cruise line for rooms and meals. But that's just based on my experience in International travel.

Sep 23, 2016
This is crazy but there is not a chance in this world or the next that I would EVER book $6000 worth of airline tickets and think that I'd get my money back! Frankly I would have stay d and enjoyed two days and fight the cruise line for rooms and meals. But that's just based on my experience in International travel.
That might have been a nice option if we didn't have responsibilities at home....jobs for one thing....so the loss would have even been more. BTW, the return tickets were approx $4,000.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
That might have been a nice option if we didn't have responsibilities at home....jobs for one thing....so the loss would have even been more. BTW, the return tickets were approx $4,000.
$4000 or $6000 makes not a difference in my book. Anything at home, short of my daughters wedding could wait 48 - 72 hrs and I would have enjoyed the that extra time in the city (not airport). Your belief you would recoup that kind of money without it in writing (and signed by the good Lord himself ) was a mistake. Shame on your TA for not #1 fixing it and #2 making sure you knew getting your $$ back was iffy at best. You need a new TA.

Writing letters (emails actually) outlining what my colleagues have suggested is all you can do and hope for the best.

Sep 23, 2016
Find a new travel agent. My travel agent would have waited much longer to change a flight than 45 minutes, it is part of the reason you book with a TA, at least that is part of why I do. If you had a better TA, you very well may have only been out the change fee.
Actually the we used Expedia to book our flights. When it became apparent that we would miss our flights, I connected with an agent at home that was a relative to see if they could help us. Remember it was a holiday weekend, so I was happy with whatever help they could give. It was Expedia that made the final arrangements.

Sep 23, 2016
$4000 or $6000 makes not a difference in my book. Anything at home, short of my daughters wedding could wait 48 - 72 hrs and I would have enjoyed the that extra time in the city (not airport). Your belief you would recoup that kind of money without it in writing (and signed by the good Lord himself ) was a mistake. Shame on your TA for not #1 fixing it and #2 making sure you knew getting your $$ back was iffy at best. You need a new TA.

Writing letters (emails actually) outlining what my colleagues have suggested is all you can do and hope for the best.
Yes, we did write as suggested. Also there was some kind of music festival in Copenhagen....we were lucky to get a room for just one night...we were told others ended up sleeping at the airport as everything in the city was booked.