Emirates not providing Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 28, 2019
Hello all!

I booked a flight back in May for an Emirates flight from JFK-TRV departing in 9 days. The next day, I canceled within 24 hours (travel is still 8 days away). When booking, it had the 24 hour cancellation sticker. I filled out the refund request and noted that a full refund was due as per the 24 hour policy. 2 weeks later, I got a full refund minus $300 per passenger as a "cancellation penalty". So far I have called both American Express and Emirates nearly 60 times in total and Emirates, in particular, is refusing to provide a refund for one reason or another (one agent said flight didn't qualify for 24 hour refund, another said I cancelled less than 7 days prior to travel, another even said I didn't even cancel within 24 hours!?)

Please assist.

Regards

Sep 20, 2015
As Cayohueso suggests, you could go to the DOT (and you should since Emirates is clearly flouting the law, assuming you bought the ticket in the US). But personally, I would go the "elliott" route as well, writing (don't use the phone) to the first contact on the Emirates contact list (https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/emirates/ ) with your complaint in factual, bulleted language, give them 7 days, and if no response, move up the chain one at a time. And you can add their language into the e-mail stating if you bought in the US, you are entitled to a refund if you cancel within 24 hours (https://mobile.emirates.com/MobileTermsConditions/us/english/website_bookings.xhtml ). The only issue here is if you did not do any contact by e-mail initially within the 24 hour period, they may try to say you didn't cancel in time because there is no proof, but stick to your story that you did contact them. Good luck.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Did you print out your cancellation page? Did you do the cancellation on your phone app? You need to STOP calling. It looks like you have wasted more than $300 worth of time with 60 phone calls and have no documentation of any of your interactions on the phone.

You need to establish a paper (email) trail to succeed in this.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just gather your proof of the facts, you purchasing more than 7 days prior to the flight and you cancelled within 24 hours of that purchase. Given that Emirates is jerking you around, I would go straight to the DOT with the facts and not mess with the airline further. That will get a response. https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm
Before doing this you should deal directly with the airline using our company contacts. Going to the DOT is a last resort because when a complaint is filed, the airline will no longer deal with the consumer. We have company contacts on top of our page and you should use them first.

Did you actually cancel the flight before you applied for the refund? You must cancel the flight, not just write for a refund. You say it had "the 24 hour cancellation sticker" but you have to actually cancel the flight, not just apply for the refund.

Did you book directly with Emirates or through a travel agency? If it was through a travel agency, they are not required to provide the 24 hour policy - that is only if you book directly through the airline. Most agencies do provide the refund, but not all do.

Mar 28, 2019
Booked with a travel agent, clicked where it said "Request a Refund" and in that form, it had a box in the "More Info" section where I could check off the "24 hour rule"

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
How does AmericanExpress come into this picture? If you didn't book directly with the airline, the cancel fee is being applied by someone else. Please tell us exactly what happened and don't leave out any details.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Booked **without a travel agent
But did you book directly on the Emirates website or with Travelocity or one of those online agencies? Something isn't making sense here.

Did you follow their instructions to cancel it?

Can I cancel my booking online?
Yes. Depending on the type of ticket you hold, you’ll be able to cancel your booking and request the refund by using the link in Manage a booking.
If you don’t see this option for any reason, or your booking is no longer active but you still wish to request a refund, you can still cancel your booking and request a refund. Please note this is only for bookings made directly with Emirates, either on emirates.com or through our contact centres and offices.
If you booked through a travel agent and haven’t started your journey yet, please contact your travel agent to make any changes.
There may be a fee associated with cancelling your booking depending on the fare conditions of your ticket, and some tickets are non-refundable. Consider changing your booking instead if the fare conditions permit this.

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/refund-request.aspx?

You must cancel the booking, not just request a refund.

Mar 28, 2019
I booked on Emirates.com using an AMEX Card and I used the following link: https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/refund-request.aspx?

If you scroll to refund type, and click on "fully unused ticket", there was an option under "waiver" stating 24-Hour US policy, or something along the lines of that. I also mentioned the 24 hours in the comments section.

When I got the partial refund, I filed a claim with AMEX, and that's how AMEX comes into the picture.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you win the dispute with Amex? Where is that at? When you completed the online form, did you get a receipt or acknowledgment with the date and time?

Please use the information in Post 3 and start writing to our company contacts at Emirates. Start at Athens first executive and email only- no phone.

Follow the instructions here:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

After following this chain if you still don’t get a refund, THEN file a DOT complaint. That is always the last step.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I booked on Emirates.com using an AMEX Card and I used the following link: https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/refund-request.aspx?

If you scroll to refund type, and click on "fully unused ticket", there was an option under "waiver" stating 24-Hour US policy, or something along the lines of that. I also mentioned the 24 hours in the comments section.

When I got the partial refund, I filed a claim with AMEX, and that's how AMEX comes into the picture.
So you booked direct, paid for the tix with an AmEx card, got a partial refund from the airline and then "filed a claim" with AmEx ... do you mean that you filed a dispute with AmEx for the original charge, or the "balance due" on a refund? Where do you stand with that dispute? If I'm understanding what happened, AmEx used to have supremely good customer service, and I'm hoping they'll go to bat for you in this case. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.