Emirates carry on luggage charge

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 21, 2019
I completed my round trip Journey from Houston, USA to Hyd, India via flight emirates flights on EK212 and EK0524 in Dec 2018.

I checked two bags and was having a carry on and a laptop back pack with two laptops. At IAH they weighed my carry bag which was 9 kgs and said its fine and issued the boarding pass. If emirates have told me I can only carry 7 kgs and one piece of luggage (including laptops) i could have transferred everything into my checking baggage at my initial boarding point. But no such thing happend at IAH.

At Dubai airport i bought couple of liquor bottles at duty free. At Dubai airport gate while boarding EK524 to hyd, they weighed my carry on bag along with my laptop bag and duty free liquor bottles. The weigh scale showed 18 kgs and they said until i pay $180 i can't board the flight.

This is the first time i noticed duty free items are getting weighted. If thats the case atleast being a resposible airline Emirates and Dubai airport authority should have posted some notice at the shops stating the duty free will be counted against 10kgs carry on luggage. No such thing exist any where at the airport.

I understand emirates has its own baggage policy.my only concern is its implementation. I am not able to understand how emirates can allow things at one boarding point and collect the charges for same at the intermediate boarding point (i.e Dubai.). Also i noticed this policy is getting implemented only to the flights whose destination is india. while coming back no body checked the carry on luggage either at Hyd or at Dubai.

I requested supervisor Mr.Muyaad i can return the duty free items. He was very rude and said the gate will be closed in 10 mins and i don't have enough time. And i asked them why my laptops are counted against carry on wieght he said that's the policy. I tried to expalin to both Mr.Muyaad and Alfeed (the cashier who collected the amount), but both are very rude and lack basic decency.

Being a reputed airline i never expected Emirates empolyees to discrminate the passengers (being Indian) and have such a bad attitude. In fact one young emirates employee at boarding pass counter was shouting at the passenger not to talk loud.

I got so fedup i just paid $180 as luggage fee and got on the flight. If any one had the same experience please let me know. Is their a way to request refund of extra $180 i paid for carry on luggage.

Thank you very much, i really appreciate help.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are responsible for going to the website and researching the weight allowances. The IAD agent should have charged you there for the carry on because it was overweight right from the start:

Emirates Hand Luggage Allowance
In Economy class every passenger of Emirates is allowed to carry for free in the cabin a carry-on baggage that shouldn’t weight more than 7kg and the maximum dimension is 55 x 38 x 20 cm.

If you’re travelling in First Class or Business Class, you can have two pieces of carry-on baggage such as: a briefcase that shouldn’t exceed 45 x 35 x 20cm plus a handbag.

Unfortunately, you are responsible for knowing the restrictions.

Jul 13, 2016
Emirates was not discriminating against you. They have had weight restrictions on carry on bags for a few years now, and the weight allowances are clearly stated on the Emirates website. With only 10 minutes before gate closure, you should be on the plane, not running back to Duty Free. I can understand why the gate agent was brusque. He had to get that airplane loaded and there is a tons of jobs to do in those last ten minutes.

I flew SFO-DXB-BOM last year, . Many, many airlines and now restricting carry-on bags by size and weight as well as piece. Emirates also reduces the number of carry on bags from flights departing India--even in business and First, you get one bag as carry on.

Flying Emirates business in 2014 to DXB-SFO, (before weight restrictions), they were only allowing two bags as carry-on including any Duty Free, so my sister and I had to jam our purchases into our carry-on bags.

Feb 21, 2019
Thank you all for your replies.
I am not a frequent flyer and yes its my mistake not to know the Emirates Hand Luggage Allowance and of course i payed the fine too.

But my concern is, if Emirates had this enforced at check in time, i could have transferred all the weight into my check in bags. As a responsible airline don't we expect Emirates to be consistent rather than collecting extra that too huge baggage charges in dubious way. Its not only applicable to me, but for any traveler the options will be only available at the check in time and can decide which is best.

As a fair practice don't we expect Dubai duty free shops to post some notice at the shops stating the duty free goods weight will be counted as carry on luggage for Emirates airlines.

Coming to discrimination, why this policy is implemented at Dubai and only to the flights flying to India. As i stated while flying back to US no body checked the carry on luggage either at Hyd or at Dubai airports. Also verified with other passengers about the same.

I would appreciate if Emirates had implemented this policy in right way and stopped the passengers at the initial check in, but looks like Emirates is more interested in collecting this hefty luggage fee by taking the aid of passenger's ignorance. One more example of airlines greediness.

Sep 20, 2015
Unfortunately, at airports where the airlines have only one or two flights per day, they often contract with ground handling companies to take care of check-in, etc. These folks may not be as well versed in the particular airlines' rules. Unfortunately, the reality is the IAH handler let you on with a greater than accepted weight, and they caught you in DXB.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The Emirates website states that Duty Free purchases do not count towards the Cabin Luggage limit - you should be able to point this out in your communication.

View attachment 2289

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/faq/214915/what-is-my-allowance-for-cabin-baggage
I'm so glad you pointed this out ... I don't think that DF items have never been counted as hand baggage. My sympathies go out to infrequent travellers who don't realize that they have to do all their own research and understand everything about their flights. It seems that things change far too often, and the pax is always the one to pay. $180 is a huge amount of money for such a small over-weight. Air France nailed me for $150 several years ago and I've never gotten over it. Like our OP, I was late checking in (motorway accident) and had no choice but to fork over my credit card. We all know that there are agents who delight in nailing their customers for not following the rules.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What class of ticket did you buy? How much did your checked bag weigh? The checked bag allowance are also low depending on the ticket class you bought. AND it also changes depending on the route you fly.

From the website:
Baggage allowance calculator
Baggage allowances can change depending on your route. Check how much you can take on your next flight and find excess baggage rates.

Ticket issued
Before February 4, 2019
Special
20 kg
Saver
30 kg
Flex
30 kg
Flex Plus
35 kg

There is a baggage allowance calculator you should have used before you even went to the airport go determine if you were within the weight restrictions for checked and carry on.

May 16, 2018
Just for the record, I have seen this kind of behavior at Qantas, British Airways and other airlines as well. For example, when traveling from New York to Australia connecting in LA, the gate agents in NY had no problem with the usual roller-board carry on bags and allowed them on the flight. But when people were at the gate in LA, Quantas agents suddenly walked around the gate forcing people with usual carry ons to check them, citing a 6 kilo rule which was never mentioned nor enforced in NY.

I found this ridiculous. The time to refuse carry ons is when people check in for the very first flight--not at the connecting gate. Also, the rules printed on people's tickets were not honored! The rules printed on the ticket allowed carry ons of larger size and weight than the Qantas gate attendants allowed. I understand that Qantas has it's own rules, but it was code-shared with American, and the tickets were bought on American, and so it was either American's job to follow Qantas' rules or Qantas' job to follow American's rules, but in either case, the passengers should be able to rely on the information that is printed on the tickets that were sold to them.

I suppose now someone will pipe up and say that it is the passenger's duty to know the rules of the airline he is flying, but in this case, the passengers knew the rules and had them in writing. They were upset and waving their printed copies as the Qantas agents demanded their bags. Is it really the duty of the passengers to seek out information that conflicts with what is printed with their tickets?

We had a similar situation with British Air. On the way over to the UK, our carry on bag was considered to be just fine (no code-share by the way--all BA), but on the way back, suddenly there were new rules. We were carrying things that could not be checked and managed to get them on board by stuffing everything we could into coat pockets (lucky for us it was Winter). We did this while the gate agents watched. They had no problem with that even though the same weight was coming aboard--along with the now-lighter carry on. They didn't blink when we then just put everything back into the carry on bag once we were on the plane.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Just for the record, I have seen this kind of behavior at Qantas, British Airways and other airlines as well. For example, when traveling from New York to Australia connecting in LA, the gate agents in NY had no problem with the usual roller-board carry on bags and allowed them on the flight. But when people were at the gate in LA, Quantas agents suddenly walked around the gate forcing people with usual carry ons to check them, citing a 6 kilo rule which was never mentioned nor enforced in NY.

I found this ridiculous. The time to refuse carry ons is when people check in for the very first flight--not at the connecting gate. Also, the rules printed on people's tickets were not honored! The rules printed on the ticket allowed carry ons of larger size and weight than the Qantas gate attendants allowed. I understand that Qantas has it's own rules, but it was code-shared with American, and the tickets were bought on American, and so it was either American's job to follow Qantas' rules or Qantas' job to follow American's rules, but in either case, the passengers should be able to rely on the information that is printed on the tickets that were sold to them.

I suppose now someone will pipe up and say that it is the passenger's duty to know the rules of the airline he is flying, but in this case, the passengers knew the rules and had them in writing. They were upset and waving their printed copies as the Qantas agents demanded their bags. Is it really the duty of the passengers to seek out information that conflicts with what is printed with their tickets?

We had a similar situation with British Air. On the way over to the UK, our carry on bag was considered to be just fine (no code-share by the way--all BA), but on the way back, suddenly there were new rules. We were carrying things that could not be checked and managed to get them on board by stuffing everything we could into coat pockets (lucky for us it was Winter). We did this while the gate agents watched. They had no problem with that even though the same weight was coming aboard--along with the now-lighter carry on. They didn't blink when we then just put everything back into the carry on bag once we were on the plane.
I was chatting with a veteran Delta flight attendant yesterday who started out with PSA in California in the 70's! We enjoyed ourselves talking about the good old days lllnand the white go-go boots; he said he wasn't required to wear them. We discussed middle and upper-level airline management tiers and how things have evolved over the years. There seems to be little rhyme or reason for airline rules or their enforcement at the airport. In the scenarios above, different groups of agents at different airports seem to take satisfaction from torturing passengers by stating THEIR understanding of the rules. Jane's example is perfect. "Your carryon is too heavy. Take some stuff out and put it in your pockets. OK you're good to go." This is nuts.

Our situation today is literally a product of the bean-counters who see only the bottom line and have removed all flexibility from the agents ability to deal with passengers. Management does not trust their employees, so they make more and more rules. I think agents behave in these bureaucratic ways because they're so frustrated with their managers and the rules under which they have to do their jobs. Even after all these years and all the trips, I still believe that people go to work for an airline because they like working with people.

Mar 14, 2018
Our situation today is literally a product of the bean-counters who see only the bottom line and have removed all flexibility from the agents ability to deal with passengers. Management does not trust their employees, so they make more and more rules.
This has little to do with bean-counters and everything to do with legal departments. If companies allow too much flexibility to their front-line agents, they leave themselves open to lawsuits charging them with various forms of discrimination. The banks in particular have been hit hard by this.

The goal of many rules and policies is to ensure customers are treated consistently regardless of race, sex, religion, disability and other protected characteristics.