Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
All a "trip in vain" usually refunds is the airfare. It probably doesn't hurt to ask for more, but you should temper your expectations. As I said earlier, I think your best bet to recover (partially) your other costs is through a Trip Delay claim with World Nomads.
Our experience has been that if you over ask- you turns them off for negotiating. Regardless of the situation, the airlines are only responsible for getting you from point A to point B. The natural conclusion is going to be you should have flown in earlier.
Passengers in the US do not have the upper hand when negotiating with airlines — because we have no rights.
If I want to buy a Toyota — a very nice but not luxury car— and some one offers it to me for $150,000 I will walk away as we are so far apart that it is a waste of time —. And this is a situation where I want to buy and someone wants to sell... with the airline it is not the same thing.
Passengers are mostly in a position of weakness and it is easy for an airline to walk away. They do not need to negotiate anything as they fulfilled the contract of carriage. This is the sad state of affairs we have. Had this been on an EU carrier it would be different.
Okay, so this was sort of struggle....but how does this sound for a response to Emirates?
Hello, please forgive me for my previous response. This whole process has been extremely emotionally draining, frustrating and disappointing. I had a dream trip planned to Nepal that took me a long time and effort to save the money for.
I have spent the past month trying to figure out if I could re-coop any of the costs of my failed trip. My travel insurance won’t cover my missed trek because ,I believe, your airline has filed the Flight 238 issues as technical problems (they only cover weather). Nor will my credit card.
So, because I wasn’t able to make it to Nepal due to a series of missteps on Emirates part, I would like to ask for a ‘Trip in Vain’ compensation. So that would break down as listed below:
$1,445 which is the cost of my trek tour in Nepal
$1,270.97 for my flight costs
$152.71 for the additional international phone bill costs that were incurred by having to communicate repeatedly with your staff in Dubai in attempt to locate my lost baggage
Please let me know your thoughts. I would really love to attempt this trip in the new year and do so with your airline. Thank you again for responding to my initial contact with you and I look forward to hearing your response.
It's a good letter, Kari. I am really torn about asking for "it all" and being totally rejected vs a negotiating starting point. So I bow to my colleagues ... just ask the airline for the air. Airlines are completely capable to tossing out your letter without a word, and I do think they owe you a full refund. Good luck and please let us know how it goes.
Kari: Your description of the pilot having to apply maximum brakes and probably emergency reverse thrust the jet engines due top runway ice, which results in traction problems during the maimum ,power takeoff roll sounds to me, as a pilot, as a weather problem. I suspect the pilot after returning to the gate area requested that his brakes be checked due to the maximum stress applied to be sure that they would be operational subsequently. Large heavy jet aircraft brakes take quite a bit of time to check out, and some components may have had to be replaced, which is why your flight was cancelled. Many airlines choose to state the cancelation cause to be mechanical, even if the underlying cause ws weather. I do not know if the Emirates records would reflect what actually ocurred, although the pilot's log should have full details. The log may not be accessible to you. If you provide the actual details of what happened ( icy runway: weather0 to your triop insurer, they may cover you.
So, I sent a reply to the airline (the one I posted above) and have heard no response. Any advice? I received word that my claim with my credit card was denied. Still waiting to hear from insurance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I honestly don’t think you are going to be successful because you didn’t leave enough time in case something like this happened but we’ve seen things settled we never thought would be so go up the entire executive chain, one at a time as the thread says.