Emirates Airlines Failures and Request for Compensation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 14, 2018
Hello all, below is email thread between me and Emirates. The thread will explain what happened and how Emirates has no interest in fairly compensating me. Please let me know any ideas of what to do. Thank you!

FROM ME TO EMIRATES (November 21, 2018):
Hello, I’m writing in response to my recent poor experience with Emirates flights and to file for reimbursement for my missed trek in Nepal.

My original flights were:

Thursday, November 15, 2018
JetBlue Flight 494
10:39 DEN to 16:25 BOS

Thursday, November 15 - Friday, November 16, 2018
Emirates Flight 238
22:15 BOS to 19:25 DXB

Saturday, November 17, 2018
Nepal Airlines Flight 230
4:00 DXB to 9:40 KTM

I successfully arrived in Boston on Thursday, November 15 through flight 494. But then there was an mechanical and/or weather issue (I’m unsure of the final ruling here) with flight 238. After sitting on the runway for two hours waiting, our pilot attempted to take off but had to slam on the brakes on the icy runway. It was a scary experience and we are fortunate we didn’t have a larger/worse accident. We sat on the plane for another three hours before we were allowed to de-plane, which meant FIVE hours total on the plane waiting.

After this, we were not issued any accommodations and were told to sleep in the airport. I spent several hours on and off the phone with Emirates trying to reschedule my flight to DBX and subsequent flight to KTM. Finally, I was able to reschedule and was given the attached confirmation email.

Saturday, November 16, 2018
Flight 8238
23:55 BOS to 21:10 DBX

Sunday, November 18, 2018
Flight RA230
4:00 DBX to 9:40 KTM

I arrived in DBX Saturday to find that my checked bag had been lost. I filed a ticket immediately with the lost baggage claim in terminal 3.

Bag tag number:
Ticket number:

File reference:
Bag description: Red/Gray Osprey backpack with a gray/lime green rain cover; around 72 liter

This is a HUGE deal because I was scheduled to do a multi-day trek up to Everest Base Camp in Nepal. Without the gear in my checked bag, this would not be possible. Keep in mind that this is in addition to the fact that I already missed the start of the trek.

I decided to head onto Nepal with the hopes that the bag would show up and that I could start the pre-booked and paid for trek/tour late. When I proceeded to check in for the KTM flight in terminal 2, there was no record of me being booked on the flight.

At this point I had been awake for well over 24 hours, missed the start of my trek (scheduled to start November 18th) and my bag had been lost.

I called Emirates to find out if my flight could be rescheduled to Nepal and the status of my bag. Since my bag was still not located and could take several days, and I had missed my tour and any potential to join my tour at a later time, I requested that my flights be re-booked and I return to Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.

I was booked on a flight the next day:

Monday, November 19, 2018
8:10 DBX to 10:45 Seattle

13:45 Seattle to 17:45 Denver

Not even once was I offered daily compensation due to bag loss (I’d been wearing the same clothes for three days) or a hotel room since I hadn’t slept for multiple days. I walked around Dubai all day. Upon returning to the airport and checking the status of my lost bag, I stumbled upon the Emirates Missed Connections Hotel Desk. I proceeded to ask if I could get a hotel room compensated because of all these issues. I was met with some of the rudest service I’ve ever experienced. They[SM1] argued with me and spoke to me condescendingly but eventually conceded to give me a hotel room. In my eyes, that’s the only right thingyou have done in this entire situation . . . and I had to argue for it.

This has single handedly been the worst travel experience of my entire life. I have never encountered worse customer service or ruder staff. I will never fly with Emirates again and will be sure to let all family and friends know they should not do the same. I also plan to put my complaints on social media as well unless something is done to make this right. I believe that my trek/tour cost should be reimbursed, my flights should be reimbursed, and if my bag is not found, I should be reimbursed for it and its contents. THIS IS THE LEAST THAT I FEEL YOU CAN DO GIVEN THE AMOUNT OF TIME YOU TOOK AWAY FROM ME PERSONALLY AND THE WAY I WAS TREATED BY YOUR STAFF/AIRLINE.

I effectively lost all of the following:

· $1,445 which is the cost of my trek tour in Nepal
· $1,270.97 for my flight costs
· $2,500 which is the cost of all my expensive hiking and camping gear in my bag

Initially, I was able to push my trek back a day. But when I missed my second flight to KTM because of your failure to correctly rebook me, I wasn’t able to reschedule it again. In addition to that, I didn’t have my baggage with all my gear.

Please let me know as soon as possible how you plan to compensate me for this. I would prefer to talk to a person rather than exchange emails. You can find my phone number below to discuss this situation. Thank you.

Kari Moyer

FROM EMIRATES (December, 11, 2018):
Our Ref No:

11 December 2018

Dear Miss Moyer,

Thank you for contacting Emirates.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to the disruption of your flight EK238 from Boston to Dubai on November 15.

The flight was delayed due to a technical problem with the operating aircraft. While we make every effort to transport passengers according to planned schedules, sometimes technical difficulties cause changes to these schedules. We do agree that our passengers are inconvenienced when flights are delayed and we do our utmost to minimize that inconvenience. However, flights are only operated when our Engineers tell us that it is safe to do so. Emirates will never compromise on the safety of our passengers and crew.

As a customer service oriented organization, we are well aware of the importance of meeting our passengers' expectations, and we regret that we did not do so on this occasion. We can appreciate your disappointment and understand how unsettling this situation must have been for you when the delay caused you to miss your onward connecting flight to Kathmandu.

You indicated that the handling of this disruption was inadequate and we acknowledge your comments. Although contingency plans are in place for such situations, unfortunately, each delay is different and it is not always possible to gauge the different problems that may arise. Nevertheless, we are not complacent about such matters and our ground handling procedures are under constant review in order to provide the highest level of service to our passengers.

We can appreciate how your impression of Emirates may have been further marred when your luggage was not immediately available for collection. We realize that being without your personal possessions must have caused you difficulties and we can also understand the distress you encountered while liaising with staff to ascertain the whereabouts of your baggage.

Your bag was restored to you and our airport staff was pleased to offer you USD150.00 toward the delayed delivery of your baggage for the purchase of essential items of immediate need.

Miss Moyer, although we are unable to change what has happened, it is never our intention to have dissatisfied passengers. Therefore, as a gesture of goodwill, without prejudice or admission of liability, we are pleased to credit your Skywards account with 50,000 complimentary miles.

Flights are vulnerable to a number of factors that can and do affect air travel operations on a daily basis and as such schedules are subject to change without notice. Therefore, appropriate travel insurance is always recommended to cover unforeseen expenses on your journey. May we suggest that you contact your travel insurers for assistance with the additional costs incurred.

Should you require a letter from Emirates specifying the schedule/actual times of departure and arrival which may be of assistance in an eventual insurance claim, you can request this through our website, using the link: https://www.emirates.com/english/help/contact-emirates/?stop_mobi=yes, then select "Flight Certificate Request" and your choice of sub-topic as required.

Once again, thank you for writing with your concerns. We value your support and hope you will offer us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Sincerely,

Karen McGregor
Customer Affairs

FROM ME TO EMIRATES (December 13, 2018):
Thanks for your response. However, I do NOT find this to be fair compensation for your series of errors and poor customer service.I can be understanding about delays, especially those due to safety reasons as I value my life and the lives of those around me and would NEVERask for either to be put at risk. But I cannotunderstand why the rebooked subsequent connecting flight to Kathmandu, Nepal, wasn’t actually confirmed by YOUR staffand why it took so long for my baggage to be located. If I were one day late for my trek with my bag, it wouldn’t have been as big of deal. Never making it to my trek and not finding my bag quickly IS A BIG DEAL.I wasunable to make the trek I had scheduled because of your airline’s failure to deliver me and my bagto my final destination. Also, your note about travel insurance is not applicable to my situation. I did in fact have travel insurance because I’m aware that it doesn’t always work out as you plan. While the insurance would have covered a weather issue, it does not cover mechanical issues. This should be covered by you as you were the one experiencing said issues.

I deserve much more than 50,000 complimentary miles for compensation, and frankly, I’m offended that you think that is fair for the mess you caused. Those miles wouldn’t even get me to Nepal from Denver, Colorado, one way. What do I deserve? Compensation for the trek I lost because of you AND compensated for the flights YOUR airline screwed up. It takes me a long time to earn the money to fund airfare and a trek of this nature and that amount would be of absolutely no consequence to your large corporation. I feel that because I’m a single American female I am being treated with less care, understanding and consideration than any male would, let alone someone from U.A.E.

I would like cash compensation in the value listed below:
· $1,445 which is the cost of my trek tour in Nepal
· $1,270.97 for my flight costs
· $152.71 for the additional international phone bill costs that were incurred by having to communicate repeatedly with your staff in Dubai in attempt to locate my lost baggage
· TOTAL: $2,868.68

COMPLIMENTARY MILES ARE OF NO VALUE TO ME AS I DO NOT PLAN TO EVER FLY YOUR AIRLINE AGAIN.

Please let me know when I can expect my cash compensation from Emirates Airlines.

Thank you.

Kari Moyer

Edited by moderator to remove identifying account and ticket numbers

Last edited by a moderator:

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@kmoyer Have you filed with your travel insurance?
A couple things to consider ...
1. They got you from point A to point B (or would have if you didn't opt to return home) which is all their contract requires them to do. They don't guarantee a schedule.
2. Airlines will never pay consequential damages so your request for your tour refund is a non-starter.
3. Request a refund of your ticket as a "trip in vain." It might work.
4. In the future, when you have a hard target event (ie a cruise, a wedding, a big event) always fly in a day before to allow for airline screw ups so you don't miss out.
5. If you really sent the last email, you maybe out of luck at this point. Don't ever tell a travel provider that you'll never use them again when trying to get them to correct a mistake. Almost always, the contract will support them so you're asking for a goodwill gesture. Telling them you'll never use them again removes any reason for them to show you any goodwill.

Try using the contacts listed on the company contact page. Email each one in order giving them a week to respond before moving on to the next.

Good luck

Apr 10, 2017
1. They got you from point A to point B (or would have if you didn't opt to return home) which is all their contract requires them to do. They don't guarantee a schedule.
2. Airlines will never pay consequential damages so your request for your tour refund is a non-starter.
4. In the future, when you have a hard target event (ie a cruise, a wedding, a big event) always fly in a day before to allow for airline screw ups so you don't miss out.
5. If you really sent the last email, you maybe out of luck at this point. Don't ever tell a travel provider that you'll never use them again when trying to get them to correct a mistake. Almost always, the contract will support them so you're asking for a goodwill gesture. Telling them you'll never use them again removes any reason for them to show you any goodwill.

Try using the contacts listed on the company contact page. Email each one in order giving them a week to respond before moving on to the next.

Good luck
#3 is an avenue worth pursuing. I would revisit the trip insurance policy to make sure none of this is covered. Also, if a credit card was used to buy any parts of the trip there might be some insurance associated with that as well.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You’ve given them no incentive to do anything for you by telling you him you will never fly them again.

What date was you trek supposed to begin? Were you arriving at least a day or two in advance? As John states when you have something this important you should always plan to arrive a few days before. You need the time to acclimate to the heights too.

You should put in a claim with your travel insurance as John advised.

Jul 13, 2016
What a disappointment! I would be heartbroken, too.

First thing is to never ever promise not to fly the airline again. Why should Emirates try to retain your business if you have twice told them that you will never use them again?

Secondly, and especially for hard-to-reach destinations and hard start itineraries, you must allow more time as a cushion for delays. In this case, I would have booked to arrive KTM two days

Travel insurance would have covered a hotel and emergency clothing/toiletries.

Emirates screwed up big time by losing your bag, which is more of a big deal than other travelers due to the gear you would need for the trek.

Concerning the missing flight to KTM, was this flight part of your entire journey with EK, or was it a separately booked ticket, with its own confirmation number? If you had one single itinerary booked through EK for DEN-BOS-DXB-KTM, then that is something you can pursue with EK since they failed to confirm and ticket you correctly.

Sep 19, 2015
I would have been very upset. Was this booked as all one ticket? If so there clearly was a problem with reticketing -- did they even offer to put you on a flydubai plane?

The original ticket was for arriving November 17th, with the start of the trek on the 18th, ie the next day. This is why there are recommendations to arrive two days in advance of a tour, cruise, etc., or any event that will not wait. It is especially prudent to do that when flying through the East Coast at wintertime.

As mentioned by others, airlines do not reimburse for consequential losses, and that is why one buys travel insurance. A banker could claim a delayed flight cost them millions of dollars in business.

I think you should reexamine the travel insurance -- this policy actually as a disclaimer for airline mechanical problems as a non covered event?

There is often not an official trip in vain policy, usually done on a case by case basis. The OP may want to start over with Emirates but after the last email Emirates may not bother to respond.

Writing that one will never use the airline again and "when can I expect compensation" already may be enough for the airline to ignore you but to add in "I feel that because I’m a single American female I am being treated with less care, understanding and consideration than any male would, let alone someone from U.A.E." really does not help. If you look at various forums one will find males and other nationalities complaining about how they were treated.

And the threat to go to social media: "I also plan to put my complaints on social media as well unless something is done to make this right. " I think companies are immune to that now.

Dec 14, 2018
You’ve given them no incentive to do anything for you by telling you him you will never fly them again.

What date was you trek supposed to begin? Were you arriving at least a day or two in advance? As John states when you have something this important you should always plan to arrive a few days before. You need the time to acclimate to the heights too.

I would have been very upset. Was this booked as all one ticket? If so there clearly was a problem with reticketing -- did they even offer to put you on a flydubai plane?

The original ticket was for arriving November 17th, with the start of the trek on the 18th, ie the next day. This is why there are recommendations to arrive two days in advance of a tour, cruise, etc., or any event that will not wait. It is especially prudent to do that when flying through the East Coast at wintertime.

As mentioned by others, airlines do not reimburse for consequential losses, and that is why one buys travel insurance. A banker could claim a delayed flight cost them millions of dollars in business.

I think you should reexamine the travel insurance -- this policy actually as a disclaimer for airline mechanical problems as a non covered event?

There is often not an official trip in vain policy, usually done on a case by case basis. The OP may want to start over with Emirates but after the last email Emirates may not bother to respond.

Writing that one will never use the airline again and "when can I expect compensation" already may be enough for the airline to ignore you but to add in "I feel that because I’m a single American female I am being treated with less care, understanding and consideration than any male would, let alone someone from U.A.E." really does not help. If you look at various forums one will find males and other nationalities complaining about how they were treated.

And the threat to go to social media: "I also plan to put my complaints on social media as well unless something is done to make this right. " I think companies are immune to that now.

Good luck

Good luck

Good luck
Hi JohnBaker, thanks for your response. Here are some answers to you notes:
1. They actually failed to get me from A to B, they were supposed to fly me to Kathmandu from Dubai, and failed to the confirm that flight (upon rebooking it due to the technical issue in Boston), so I wasn't able to board the flight they had promised me.
2. I don't understand why they won't pay consequential damages when this was entirely their fault.
3. Thanks you, I'll add this to my list of attempted negotiations.
4. I had my self arriving a day early in the morning (at 9:40) so I thought that would leave plenty of room for error. I left extra days after my trek to make sure I could make my international flight because I had national flights within Nepal that are notoriously finicky with weather, but didn't know it was standard to leave 2 days in front of an event. Being that I'm always traveling on a tight budget every little bit makes a big difference to me. That being said, that would have been much more worth the cost than the whole loss of $3k. Nonetheless I wouldn't have been able to complete the trek without my bag even if Emirates had gotten me to Nepal, and the measly $150 they give as a stipend wouldn't cover my bag with thousands of dollars of gear and broken in hiking boots.
5. Good to know. Hopefully they still communicate with me. I'm honestly doing my best here...which sounds like according to this very critical forum, is not good enough.

Dec 14, 2018
#3 is an avenue worth pursuing. I would revisit the trip insurance policy to make sure none of this is covered. Also, if a credit card was used to buy any parts of the trip there might be some insurance associated with that as well.
I have claimed this with my travel insurance, but it looks to be that they only cover delays due to weather, and Emirates has filed this issue as technical problem. So I am out of luck on that avenue.

Dec 14, 2018

My trek was supposed to begin November 18th. I was arriving a day in advance. I didn't know this 'few days before rule', so I thought with arriving at 9:40 a.m. the day before the start of the trek would give me plenty of room for issues. Also, I live in Colorado at a higher elevation than Kathmandu, so acclimation would not be needed for me.

Dec 14, 2018
What a disappointment! I would be heartbroken, too.

First thing is to never ever promise not to fly the airline again. Why should Emirates try to retain your business if you have twice told them that you will never use them again?

Secondly, and especially for hard-to-reach destinations and hard start itineraries, you must allow more time as a cushion for delays. In this case, I would have booked to arrive KTM two days

Travel insurance would have covered a hotel and emergency clothing/toiletries.

Emirates screwed up big time by losing your bag, which is more of a big deal than other travelers due to the gear you would need for the trek.

Concerning the missing flight to KTM, was this flight part of your entire journey with EK, or was it a separately booked ticket, with its own confirmation number? If you had one single itinerary booked through EK for DEN-BOS-DXB-KTM, then that is something you can pursue with EK since they failed to confirm and ticket you correctly.
I had a single itinerary that was booked on Kayak.com with one confirmation number. Upon the delay in Boston, I called Emirates, and they rebooked my flight to Dubai as well as to Nepal, but did not confirm the status of the Nepal flight (they left it as pending).

Dec 14, 2018

Yep, this was all under one confirmation, originally booked on Kayak.com. When there was the technical problem in Boston, I called Emirates they rebooked my flight to Dubai and to Nepal under one confirmation number. They did not however confirm the fight to Nepal (they left the status as pending), so I wasn't able to board that flight.

My travel insurance (under Tripmate/World Nomads) does not cover travel delay or interruption for technical issues. Only weather, strikes and a whole host of other things.

Also, this is the first tiny bit of help I've had fighting this, and I didn't realize some of the things I have written were considered faux pas. I obviously wouldn't have written them if I'd know that. Hopefully they still consider negotiating with me.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@kmoyer I'm sorry if we seem critical. It truly isn't meant that way. I'm glad you found our site and we can hopefully help you out. Others will come along and provide more insight since you've posted some additional information. Good luck with recouping some of your money and hopefully you get the chance to make this trip in the future.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
@kmoyer I'm sorry if we seem critical. It truly isn't meant that way. I'm glad you found our site and we can hopefully help you out. Others will come along and provide more insight since you've posted some additional information. Good luck with recouping some of your money and hopefully you get the chance to make this trip in the future.
Kari, I am so sorry to hear what a mess the airline made of your super-special trip. I can't even begin to imagine your disappointment. It's just too sad and I wish we could be more help. My colleagues do not mean to be condescending ... often several people are responding at the same time, so you get the same message many times. I'm sorry for all the repetition in our responses.

I think it would be helpful if you composed a concise list of the facts in chronological order. Leave out all the extraneous information. For instance, a fact is that the plane sat for 5 hours, why is not important (unless it was out of the airline's control such as weather related.) We will see if we can find a clear path through this little disaster to guide you.

Dec 19, 2014
Kari

Sorry to hear about your experience.

1) I would review your trip insurance policy again. Have you filed a claim and they have rejected the claim? Or have you not filed a claim. It would be unusual for a trip insurance policy to exclude mechanical delays but accept other delays.
2) It would be highly unlikely that Emirates will reimburse you for the trekking expedition in Nepal. Again, if you purchased the appropriate trip insurance, this is where trip insurance will reimburse you for the cost of the expedition.
Airlines are not liable for incidental damages. They are only responsible for getting you from point A to point B. If they cannot get you from point A to point B, then their liability is limited.

My take on the matter:
- Push Emirates to refund you the cost of the airfare
- Investigate your insurance policy and file a claim on the cost of the trek

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
This was a “Trip in Vain” you should get you money back and NOT a credit and this is the angle you should work. Also check the Travel Insurance Benefits the Booking Credit Card has....

Sep 19, 2015
Kmoyer I am sorry I did not mean to sound so critical.

I would have been furious and spitting balls of fire. You were treated badly. But after years of travel mishaps I have learned that some tactics do not work so well.

But the truth is passengers have few rights in the US and in the UAE. I have learned the hard way about reliability and what few rights passengers have. This is why I fly EU carriers as much as possible.

The problem with the social media issue is that so many people complain about ridiculous things — “I could not board with my emotional support wildebeest” or “I could not bring my steamer trunk as carry on and forced to check it” so companies are immune to that issue and any legitimate complaint like your is lost in a sea of foolish posts and tweets.

My advice is to start over with Emirates and use the contacts.

Can you post the insurance policy? Did the credit card used have any insurance.

Again I did not mean to sound unsympathetic, I was in too much of a work mode.

Nov 21, 2014
I hope you get all of this straightened out and have another opportunity to go to Nepal and trek to Everest Base Camp. We were in Katmandu this past October and took a helicopter to Base Camp...and it was absolutely phenomenal. Such grandeur and beauty...we were speechless. It was indeed a "bucket list" experience for my husband and one we will never forget. I can't imagine trekking...but I so hope you have a chance to do it. Good luck and hoping you are successful!

Dec 14, 2018
Kari, I am so sorry to hear what a mess the airline made of your super-special trip. I can't even begin to imagine your disappointment. It's just too sad and I wish we could be more help. My colleagues do not mean to be condescending ... often several people are responding at the same time, so you get the same message many times. I'm sorry for all the repetition in our responses.

I think it would be helpful if you composed a concise list of the facts in chronological order. Leave out all the extraneous information. For instance, a fact is that the plane sat for 5 hours, why is not important (unless it was out of the airline's control such as weather related.) We will see if we can find a clear path through this little disaster to guide you.
Thank you thank you! Here is a high-level explanation:

ORIGINAL ITENERARY:
Thursday, November 15
Denver > Boston
Flight 494
10:39 -16:25

Thursday, November 15 – Friday, November 16
Boston > Dubai
Flight 238
22:15 - 19:25 (Friday, November 16)

Saturday, November 17
Dubia > Kathmandu
Flight 230
4:00 - 9:04

PRE-BOOKED TREK: Ace the Himalaya, November 17 (17th acclimation day and airport transfer to hotel, 18th local flight to Lukla and start of trek) – 30th

REVISED ITENERARY (re-booked by Emirates under one confirmation #):
Friday, November 16 – Saturday, November 17
Boston > Dubai
Flight 238
23:55 - 21:10 (Saturday, November 17)

Sunday, November 18
Dubai > Kathmandu
4:00 - 9:40

EMIRATES MISTAKES:
- There was weather in Boston on Nov. 15, we waited 1.5 hrs for de-icing, attempted take-off, had engine failure upon take off, returned to gate after total 5 hours on plane
- Upon finally arriving in Dubai a day late, my bag was lost
- The airline didn’t correctly re-book or confirm my flight to Kathmandu, so I wasn’t able to board on the 18th.
- If I were have to continued to Kathmandu, I would have been gear-less and would have missed my trek by a full two days
- I chose to return to the U.S. sleep deprived, emotionally unstable, alone and bagless

ISSUES I'VE ENCOUNTERED:
- My trip insurance by Tripmate/World Nomads only covers weather, not technical plane issues (Emirates has listed the flight as technical issues)
- My credit card (Chase Sapphire), will potentially cover costs incurred from bag loss and trip delay, by not trip interruption/trek costs because its again a technical problem not weather

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 14, 2018
I hope you get all of this straightened out and have another opportunity to go to Nepal and trek to Everest Base Camp. We were in Katmandu this past October and took a helicopter to Base Camp...and it was absolutely phenomenal. Such grandeur and beauty...we were speechless. It was indeed a "bucket list" experience for my husband and one we will never forget. I can't imagine trekking...but I so hope you have a chance to do it. Good luck and hoping you are successful!
Thank you, me too. I'm glad you had a great trip, I'm really really sad I didn't get to go.

Dec 14, 2018
Kmoyer I am sorry I did not mean to sound so critical.

I would have been furious and spitting balls of fire. You were treated badly. But after years of travel mishaps I have learned that some tactics do not work so well.

But the truth is passengers have few rights in the US and in the UAE. I have learned the hard way about reliability and what few rights passengers have. This is why I fly EU carriers as much as possible.

The problem with the social media issue is that so many people complain about ridiculous things — “I could not board with my emotional support wildebeest” or “I could not bring my steamer trunk as carry on and forced to check it” so companies are immune to that issue and any legitimate complaint like your is lost in a sea of foolish posts and tweets.

My advice is to start over with Emirates and use the contacts.

Can you post the insurance policy? Did the credit card used have any insurance.

Again I did not mean to sound unsympathetic, I was in too much of a work mode.
Thank you for your help.

INSURANCE POLICY:
TripMate/World Nomads
Plan: N300E
Explorer plan

CREDIT CARD:
Chase Sapphire
They told me they would cover costs for baggage delay and possibly trip delay, but nothing due to technical plane issues. So my missed trek would not be covered.