Emergency surgery caused us to have to cancel our river cruise with Viking - no help given

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 15, 2019
Thanks to all of you who have helped with this heavy load. Now my first and only priority is to help my husband in his recovery and rehabilitation. We have, to this date, not received any type of reply from Viking. I am officially cancelling our trip today which will give Viking two weeks to re-sell our tickets. (I know they engage in "last minute cruise sales). Again I thank you, and I remain so grateful.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks to all of you who have helped with this heavy load. Now my first and only priority is to help my husband in his recovery and rehabilitation. We have, to this date, not received any type of reply from Viking. I am officially cancelling our trip today which will give Viking two weeks to re-sell our tickets. (I know they engage in "last minute cruise sales). Again I thank you, and I remain so grateful.
Last minute cruise sales are ok in the US but for a river cruise, someone wanting to purchase a last minute river cruise incurs very expensive last minute air so it’s not quite so easy for a river cruise unless it’s a local.

I still would encourage you to use our company contacts and write to the Executives. You have been so graceful you might be able to find an executive that might make an exception. We always encourage you to try- the worst they can say is no but you might find one who will make an exception.

Jun 27, 2017
Diana ... We've been in the same situation as you, although with a trip planned here in the US. We did not purchase travel insurance for our trip. Shortly before our scheduled departure, bypass surgery for my husband, plus months of rehab and recuperation. Hotels were cancellable without penalty. But canceling airfare on United involved cancelation fees and credit for a future flight. That's when we learned the flight would have to be booked within one year from the date of the original booking. Didn't happen. Lost over $500, a lot for us at the time. We have since purchased travel insurance - not from the airline or cruise provider - but directly through a travel insurance company.

That said, we hope your husband heals quickly without problems. I personally know the stress you are going through right now. Life WILL get better and you will get to travel once again. When you plan your next trip, it will bring great joy to both of you. Also suggest you use a credit card that offers SOME travel insurance benefits. We get some bennies using our Costco CitiBank card, but there are several others available.

Also want to add that we have taken two Viking cruises and while we loved the cruises, we found their restrictions to be unfavorable toward us, the paying passengers (paying full price for the cruise a year or more before departure; stringent refund policies; cruises that turn into bus trips because Viking ships don't sail very well when water levels are low). As Neil said - there are many other cruise lines sailing on the European rivers. We chose Avalon for our third cruise and it was perfect from beginning to end.

May you celebrate many more years of marriage and be happy and healthy.

Mar 15, 2019
Diana ... We've been in the same situation as you, although with a trip planned here in the US. We did not purchase travel insurance for our trip. Shortly before our scheduled departure, bypass surgery for my husband, plus months of rehab and recuperation. Hotels were cancellable without penalty. But canceling airfare on United involved cancelation fees and credit for a future flight. That's when we learned the flight would have to be booked within one year from the date of the original booking. Didn't happen. Lost over $500, a lot for us at the time. We have since purchased travel insurance - not from the airline or cruise provider - but directly through a travel insurance company.

That said, we hope your husband heals quickly without problems. I personally know the stress you are going through right now. Life WILL get better and you will get to travel once again. When you plan your next trip, it will bring great joy to both of you. Also suggest you use a credit card that offers SOME travel insurance benefits. We get some bennies using our Costco CitiBank card, but there are several others available.

Also want to add that we have taken two Viking cruises and while we loved the cruises, we found their restrictions to be unfavorable toward us, the paying passengers (paying full price for the cruise a year or more before departure; stringent refund policies; cruises that turn into bus trips because Viking ships don't sail very well when water levels are low). As Neil said - there are many other cruise lines sailing on the European rivers. We chose Avalon for our third cruise and it was perfect from beginning to end.

May you celebrate many more years of marriage and be happy and healthy.
Thank you so very much for your kind words and sharing your experience with me. I know things will get better, and folks in our immediate community have been so helpful with support for my husbands rehabilitation. We have learned so much through this whole event. I wish you also the best and many blessings for you and your husband.

Jan 17, 2019
Diane - I hope your husband has a quick and complete recovery. My husband had CABGx3 November 6 '18. We were to leave on a Regent Seven Seas cruise to the Amazon on Nov 25. Regent wouldn't budge with anything for us either. We had booked a guarantee with no cabin assigned less than 3 weeks pre-cruise and they were offering some passengers the ability to move their cruise to another date so I felt they needed cabins for booked passengers. This was to be our 1st cruise with Regent after many cruises with other lines. Regent did refund taxes but not fees. We did have the trip covered with an Annual Plan with Allianz and some credit card coverage so all wasn't lost but at a critical time like you're going through you don't need any other stressors. I know since it happened to us. Good luck...

Feb 11, 2018
I am sympathetic to the poster's situation and I, too, hope her husband recovers quickly. My husband and I are in the same age category and are about to make final payment on "our trip of a lifetime". The full insurance premium (we have paid for insurance on what we are out of pocket so far) will be over $3000. Do I HATE to pay that? You bet, but it is a necessity in case of emergency both pre-departure and during the trip. I rather feel like people who do not buy insurance and implore the providers to make an exception just for them, (unintentionally) make fools of those of us who do pay for it.
I totally agree! We always buy the insurance and are grateful that we've never had to use it. I get really annoyed with people who don't buy it and then want the benefits.

Mar 15, 2019
Late last evening I received a call from the Manager of Public Relations at Viking Cruises. He wished my husband well and apologized for the way we had been treated. He offered us a generous voucher for booking another cruise within 18 months. I am grateful for the advice I have been given over the last few days while I have been on this crusade. Thank you for your kindness and compassion. Wishing you all happy travel adventures and many blessings.

Mar 15, 2018
Late last evening I received a call from the Manager of Public Relations at Viking Cruises. He wished my husband well and apologized for the way we had been treated. He offered us a generous voucher for booking another cruise within 18 months. I am grateful for the advice I have been given over the last few days while I have been on this crusade. Thank you for your kindness and compassion. Wishing you all happy travel adventures and many blessings.
That's wonderful! The advice you received to reach out and appeal to them, even though they are not required to do anything, was good advice. You never know when a company is going to go above and beyond, and apparently they decided to make an exception for you. I wish your husband a quick recovery, and hope you enjoy a wonderful cruise sometime in the future.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am so glad you reached out! This is why we encourage people to keep writing. I’m delighted to see Viking make an exception but I believe a lot has to do with your gracious letter.

Please buy travel insurance when you rebook and please comeback after your cruise and let us know you took it.

Jun 27, 2017
Yes, we did accept their offer, I am satisfied with what they extended. I don't think we could have done any better, considering all of the circumstances. Thank you for everything!
Best news I've read today, too! Diana - this is exceptional on Viking's part and a future voucher valid for 18 months is very rare. With this kind of news, happy days are ahead. Congratulations and hope your husband heals fast!.

Sep 27, 2017
Just a head's up- Please check when the clock starts on the '18 month' offer. Is that 18 months from today, from sailing date, or from original booking date? And does the cruise have to be completed in 18 months, or just booked in the next 18 months? You definitely don't want this offer to get caught up in some small-print snag!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, I'm out here on the west coast and last to get the news. This is just plain WONDERFUL. I can't tell you how pleased we all are with your success. You gritted your teeth, you marched forward, you were rewarded. I'm touring/sailing with Viking for the first time next fall to China and I will be telling my dinner companions about this wonderful gesture by Viking. They are such a huge company, so they seemingly get "most" of the complaints, but it's just not reality. Now you can concentrate on your husband's recovery while poring over Viking catalogues to pick out your next trip! Win-win, gotta love it.