Eligible for refund or credit? Or, at the very least the opportunity to speak with a representative?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 18, 2018
Background.
Where: Viva Fortuna Wyndham, Freeport Bahamas
When: Dec 11-14 2017
We booked a reservation Dec 9-14 for a Tiger Shark Dive and an all-inclusive stay at the Viva Wyndham.
Another reservation was booked for Dec 11-14.
Weather conditions were such that the Specialty Dive was cancelled by the Manager of the on-site dive shop on Dec 11th.
Since the dive was cancelled the other party arriving Dec 11th did not come because their objective was to partake in this particular dive.
Note: I acknowledge the hotel's 30 day no refund policy however, the dive was cancelled due to force majure. The onsite dive company provided a full refund. The booking was made through a tour operator.
When I spoke with the front desk they directed me to the toll free number. When I called the toll free number, Wyndham Hotels I was transferred to the Wyndham Resort area who would then redirect me back to the Wyndham Hotels.
I sent one email to the Director of Online Customer service who did not acknowledge my email.
Thank you in advance for any insights.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@rena I think your challenge is going to be that everything else was still available and they refunded the extra fee involved with the dive.

First, the other couple needs to do the talking not you. The hotel is only going to deal with them. Second, they need to figure out what they are willing to accept. A refund probably is not going to happen. Would another weekend stay work? Wyndham points / voucher.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just because your excursion got canceled- why is that the fault of the hotel? Their reservation was for 3 nights and you had one day of Shark diving that was canceled? They couldn’t reschedule it for the 12? What were the other couple pkNnkng I’m doing the other 2 days that they could have gone for?

The hotel is now left with an empty room that they held for your friend. And they opted for a nonrefundable rate when you could have chosen a refundable rate.

That’s not a reason to cancel a hotel room. What they should have done was buy Cancel for any Reason insurance. I agree with John- first the other couple needs to be the one contacting the hotel not you and the best they can hope for is a credit for a future stay.

Jan 18, 2018
Thanks for the responses. I am new to this forum and will answer all the q's from the three responses above in this reply I hope this is the correct way. My objective is to minimize duplication.

1. I am initiating contact because I orchestrated the booking and it went on my credit card.
2. Yes, I would accept voucher/points.
3. Weather was bad for 4-5 days out so dive would not be possible before we left.
4. Booked through tour operator (referred me to hotel directly)
5. The other couple was coming from Nassau to Freeport (30 min flight)
6. No, trip insurance was not purchased. Will DEFINITELY purchase in the future!

The reason the couple did not come is they are dive instructors so for them to do a "regular dive" is pointless as they dive everyday for a living in Nassau. Of course the hotel will not be interested in the reasoning.
I am aware of the strength of my case. However the $630 I lost is far more impactful to me than to the hotel as they can fill an empty room. I am requesting a courtesy from the hotel.

My biggest issue is how do I contact someone in Wyndham for the resort area? Any insights?

Jan 6, 2015
A few thoughts for your consideration ...

Hotel: Whether it's for one or both, a refund would be strictly a good will gesture unless the dive and the hotel were booked as a package. If you booked the hotel through a travel agency (online or brick-and-mortar) you need to contact them. If you booked directly with Wyndham, you can appeal using our Company Contacts at the top of this page.

Airfare: You ave not indicated here that you will asking for a refund of the airfare, but the same holds for that as it does for the hotel - it would be a goodwill gesture.

Insurance: If you purchased trip insurance, you should start with them. If you did not, we recommend you always purchase a policy to protect your investment and your health, especially when traveling outside your home country.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Insurance wouldn’t cover this anyway unless you bought CFAR. Canceling because an excursion didn’t happen isn’t a covered reason.

You might also have a bigger issue- you paid for someone else’s trip. In all likelihood if a credit will be issued, it will be to your friends, not you. The name on the room is who owns the reservation, not the person that paid.

You would have been better off booking this directly with the hotel. They might have had a more expensive refundable rate that would have allowed you to cancel.

We have company contacts on top of our page. We have contacts for Wyndham under hotels.
Write to the customer service email address.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the first executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know and we'll
Tell you the next step. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

Good luck and let us know what happens. i am not positive about your chances but I have seen well written letters get things done that so ndver thought would be approved so you have absolutely nothing to lose by asking.

As others asked - what are you doing about the airfare as that’s not refundable either is it?

Sep 19, 2015
Also if the dive was canceled on the 11th which was the day of check in for the other couple-- so it would be very hard to fill that room for that night (11th) and may be hard to sell the other nights. Freeport is not a major business center where people make last minute trips. This is an all inclusive resort and people that stay at all inclusive resorts tend to plan in advance as it is a vacation and need to arrange to take off from work and buy airline tickets in advance. This was a booking during the week, not a weekend, so even less likely that the room was resold.

So saying that the hotel can sell the room may be theoretically possible but in practicality it is not so easy.

Also it is not a good to idea to say well the loss of $630 is proportionately more significant to me than to the hotel so they should be stuck with the loss.

I see the room was paid for by the OP but was the room also in the OPs name?

I think this is a case where one has to respectfully beg for some sort of voucher or points.

Apr 10, 2017
I'm married to a scuba diver and we are both snow skiers. Both activities are weather dependent and sometimes Mother Nature doesn't cooperate. Is he disappointed when he can't do a dive? Of course, but that's not the fault of the resorts and as long as they hold up their end of the deal there's no reason to expect a refund. Enjoying beautiful weather in the dead of winter is never a bad backup plan anyway. :)

Jan 6, 2015
Thank you for the detail Rena. Since this was all (?) booked through the tour operator (T.O.), it becomes a fly/stay/dive package and opens the door (in my opinion) for a refund (to you, because refunds must be returned to the original form of payment). You should check the terms and conditions provided by the tour operator.

Stated another way, it should have been self-evident to the T.O. that without the dive, there would be no reason to make the trip. Thus, I would start there. Moreover, if it was sold as a package it should not matter that the dive was cancelled on the day of arrival. The T.O. assumes the risk here (again, in my opinion).

And for clarification, a voucher can be issued (and often is) to the traveler ...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for the detail Rena. Since this was all (?) booked through the tour operator (T.O.), it becomes a fly/stay/dive package and opens the door (in my opinion) for a refund (to you, because refunds must be returned to the original form of payment). You should check the terms and conditions provided by the tour operator.

Stated another way, it should have been self-evident to the T.O. that without the dive, there would be no reason to make the trip. Thus, I would start there. Moreover, if it was sold as a package it should not matter that the dive was cancelled on the day of arrival. The T.O. assumes the risk here (again, in my opinion).

And for clarification, a voucher can be issued (and often is) to the traveler ...
I am betting the terms are it’s non refunfable. There is absolutely no way to guarantee a five can be done. That’s like saying if you did a good go see Northern Lights and there are none you get a refund. Or because I booked a trip and it rained the whole time I bet my money back.

We need to know what company booked this and the terms. And yes, the voucher can be issued to the traveler- but the traveler isn’t the one who paid.

Jan 6, 2015
I am betting the terms are it’s non refunfable. There is absolutely no way to guarantee a five can be done. That’s like saying if you did a good go see Northern Lights and there are none you get a refund. Or because I booked a trip and it rained the whole time I bet my money back.

We need to know what company booked this and the terms. And yes, the voucher can be issued to the traveler- but the traveler isn’t the one who paid.
Here's an example of what I'm saying. As you stated here (correctly) Neil, there was no obligation in that instance either, but the tour operator compensated the traveler ..

http://www.elliott.org/the-troubleshooter/polar-bears-go/

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
VoR, that’s why I suggested Rena write to the hotel and appeal to Management. She could also contact the t/o and ask if they could provide a credit for a future trip but the t/o is beholden to the hotel and airline ad to whether they would do anything.

I called one of our dive vacation Suppliers and asked what they would do in this situation. As expected, because diving can be a very dangerous sport they may be forced to cancel dives if it there is any danger for divers. They also would not refund but that’s why they strongly encourage travel insurance and a CFAR policy would have allowed cancellation and refund.

If a trip is totally dependent on a tour - it’s imperative to buy the right insurance - that’s what is missing that could have made Rena whole.

Rena has nothing to lose by contacting the hotel company and in answer to her question - yes, she should have been able to speak to someone. Corporate Customer Service should give her that ability.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here's an example of what I'm saying. As you stated here (correctly) Neil, there was no obligation in that instance either, but the tour operator compensated the traveler ..

http://www.elliott.org/the-troubleshooter/polar-bears-go/
This company had a satisfaction guarantee policy. That’s totally different than this (and it was a $16,000 Trip).

I don’t think the writer had to come here at all for that story- she could have gone right to the company to negotiate.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Rena, I hope you can convince someone to help you with this. My colleagues have given you all the ammunition, so I hope Wyndham will help.

I'll go way out on a limb here and suggest that your friends should not have just cancelled their whole trip because the dive was canceled. Surely there are thousands of things to do for enjoyment.

Did your friends understand that you had prepaid the hotel and would lose the money if they didn't show up? So many resorts have such strict cancellation penalties to protect them from guests like your friends. I sincerely hope that Wyndham will assist you, but keep in mind that you laid out the money for your friends and it seems to me that they have some kind of an obligation to you.

Jan 18, 2018
I would like to thank the members for their insights and direction.
Obviously, there are several learning lessons for me which I will use in the future.
Ultimately I now know to book directly with the hotels.
I will utilize the Company Contacts and see if they will consider a voucher.
If anything transpires I will share the update.
Again, many thanks to all.