Electrician killed in cruise ship elevator accident

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If this happened on land it wouldn't be a story. If the two people who were so traumatized didn't feel the need to take a video it wouldn't be news either.

As tech said, likely an inexperienced worker who may not have followed proper procedure. It's a tragedy that could happen anywhere.

Aug 28, 2015
Man Crushed by Elevator on NYE

A 25-year-old man was crushed to death 15 minutes before midnight on New Year’s Eve when an elevator in a high-rise on the Lower East Side malfunctioned, NBC New York reported. Bronx man Stephen Hewett-Brown was trapped between the car and the shaft when the elevator started descending while he was exiting. The other two passengers tried to free him but couldn’t.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...363979221.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_NYBrand

Sep 22, 2014
Terribly sad story, both for the man and his family and for passengers who witnessed the aftermath. Newsworthy, though? Maybe not.
I think it's very newsworthy.
So much so, that I would have posted the entire article and not limited it to a hyperlink.
Perhaps, newsworthiness is, like beauty, all in the eye of the beholder.
A case in point was the extensive coverage given to the Costa Concordia disastater on several of the Cruise Critic dot com Forums. Many posters were incensed by the high level of interest and posting and found it ghoulish. The many posters were at odds over blame and punishment.
The postings lasted for over two years.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
A case in point was the extensive coverage given to the Costa Concordia disastater on several of the Cruise Critic dot com Forums. Many posters were incensed by the high level of interest and posting and found it ghoulish. The many posters were at odds over blame and punishment.
The postings lasted for over two years.
Glad I wasn't on cc then. That would have driven me nuts.

Oct 5, 2015
Maybe it's just me, but aren't these so-called news way too negative?
Elevator accidents happen everywhere and anywhere.
Is there any particular reason why they should never happen in a humongous cruise ship?
What are we trying to do here? Scare people?

Sep 22, 2014
Maybe it's just me, but aren't these so-called news way too negative?
Elevator accidents happen everywhere and anywhere.
Is there any particular reason why they should never happen in a humongous cruise ship?
What are we trying to do here? Scare people?
Can't us "glass is half empty" folks have our fun too ? :p

This will help cheer you up. ;)

Last edited: