El Al and Orbitz -cannot get a refund for two tickets purchased over a year ago!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 29, 2021
We have been trying to obtain a refund for two tickets purchased for travel to Tel Aviv in April 2020 that was cancelled due to covid. We have not had any luck getting information from Orbtiz and or El Al. I just filed complaint with department of transportation. When I call Orbitz they say we have received our refund, we have not, and to call El Al. The only way to get a hold of El Al is through WhatApps and that is terrible. When I do get a hold of someone on the app they say to go through Orbitz. Orbitz is a total waste and I will never use it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Did you cancel before the airline did?
Did you look if you have an Orbitz credit?
On your credit card statement who does it list Orbitz or El AL?
Since you booked with Orbitz you are no longer the airline's customer and need to deal with Orbitz. AS Orbitz must ask El Al to get you your refund then Orbitz will process it then deduct the refund processing fees ( yes it is very likely you won't get a full refund) that you agreed to when you booked with Orbitz.
Unless El Al charged your credit card you would not be very successful with a DOT claim as the DOT has no power at all to make Orbitz pay you back.

Reactions: jsn55 and BittyBoo
Apr 29, 2021
Did you cancel before the airline did?
Did you look if you have an Orbitz credit?
On your credit card statement who does it list Orbitz or El AL?
Since you booked with Orbitz you are no longer the airline's customer and need to deal with Orbitz. AS Orbitz must ask El Al to get you your refund then Orbitz will process it then deduct the refund processing fees ( yes it is very likely you won't get a full refund) that you agreed to when you booked with Orbitz.
Unless El Al charged your credit card you would not be very successful with a DOT claim as the DOT has no power at all to make Orbitz pay you back.
My credit card has the charge from El Al. No refunds on our credit card.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
The big question is who canceled 1st?
It does not matter if the airlines cancel the flight 30 minutes after you canceled. If you cancel 1st you do not get a refund.
If you never canceled this flight then you are due a refund.

Apr 29, 2021
The big question is who canceled 1st?
It does not matter if the airlines cancel the flight 30 minutes after you canceled. If you cancel 1st you do not get a refund.
If you never canceled this flight then you are due a refund.
Thank you for the information, however, that does not sound right with a world wide pandemic that cancelled flights world wide. We did not cancel the flight.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
Well since EL AL billed you . You might be able to get refunded through the DOT complaint.
But other then that you need to talk to Orbitz as the airline has to deal with them and not you.

We did not cancel the flight.

If you never called to cancel this flight and it was only canceled bu the airline you would be due a refund.
But is in fact true. It is a big game of chicken. Who ever canceled 1st loses. It is all about the terms and conditions.
So it is good you never canceled otherwise you would have lost the right to a refund and only get a future travel credit.

Sometimes if you preempt the airline before their travel waiver policies kick in they can claim that the Customer voluntarily cancelled the flight as opposed to the airline. Orbitz is your travel agent who paid EL AL so now it's between Orbitz and you and El AL and Orbitz to get a refund.

The OP may be at a loss if they cancelled and EL AL would be the one to refund or reschedule the OP's Ticket. When I sense that a travel waiver due to weather or in this case COVID I will wait for the airline or travel vendor to initiate the change or refund.

I hope EL AL will do the right thing but the OP should be prepared to try other approaches too.

Reactions: marthaspaner

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for the information, however, that does not sound right with a world wide pandemic that cancelled flights world wide. We did not cancel the flight.
Unfortunately, that is the way it works. If you canceled the flight before the airline did, you aren't due a refund, only a credit. If the airline canceled - then you are due a refund.

And El Al hasn't refunded very many people. If the flight was to or from the US and El Al canceled then you can file a DOT complaint.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Well, good, Martha, you are due a refund if El Al cancelled the flight. Orbitz owns your tix, so just keep after them until you get the refund. If they haven't received it already from El Al, they have to request it. This is why we advise to always book hotel and air directly, an online booking service just processes your order and they have very little customer service. El Al has not been very responsive during this virus, so refunds are probably taking longer time than other airlines. Having the booking service in the way makes it worse. Be polite and persistent.