Eclipse hotel room disappearance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 14, 2017
I know it has happened to more people. But here is my situation:
My husband is going to Carbondale, IL, for the eclipse next week. He made a reservation, though hotwire (a company that belongs to expedia) for a hotel room for the night right before the eclipse (so that's August, 20th). I know, I know, hotwire. Just keep up with me.
He confirms with hotwire, and then with the hotel. That was in May. Everything was ok. He reconfirmed in June and on August, 1st. Again, everything was ok.
He decides to call today, to make sure everything is ok. Guess what? No more reservation. Days Inn says there never was a reservation (though they had confirmed it by phone in May). Hotwire says reservation is ok. Then it's not ok. Then they are offering for a "free cancelation" on the hotel. It is not a cancelation if it's not coming from us!
Now we're 6 days from the eclipse, no more hotels around the area, and no where to sleep. Are we out of luck?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is happening to thousands of people. When hotels are oversold, they cancel the rooms that have paid the least, which is usually those from the OTA's, and keep the people that have paid more or have booked directly through their website. Another issue is that in many cases, the hotels do not get paid by the OTA until AFTER you stay - so most likely they were never paid by hotwire and canceled the reservation when someone else booked directly (and probably for more money).

http://www.elliott.org/the-troubleshooter/help-choice-hotels-canceled-reservation-see-eclipse/

In the future - stop using these third party websites and only book direct with the hotel.

You can try using our company contacts for Hotwire and write to the executives one by one once a week and complain. But there is probably not much they will be able to do except maybe give you a credit for a future trip.

I also hope he isn't renting a car because the car companies are doing the same thing. I hope that there is enough outcry about hotels doing this that someone helps all of you who did book early.

I would also suggest your husband file a complaint with the Attorney General in the state the hotel was in. He is not the only one and in Oregon, the state wants to know about it if the hotels were in Oregon which seems to be looking out for consumers more than any other state.

http://www.kgw.com/news/investigati...-for-eclipse-viewing-jacking-prices/424326842

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2017/04/expedia_reservations_at_the_ce.html

Aug 14, 2017
Thanks. Yes, I am giving him enough on the OTA situation. The funny thing is that we never use OTAs, but he said he was having a hard time finding hotels for that weekend and, once he did find one on hotwire, decided to jump the gun. A bad situation all around

I mean, if worse comes to worse, we can drive down same day. It will be hellish tiring, but it is doable (we're 4 hours out). Hotwire is still trying to find a hotel that will accomodate us, but on such short notice, I doubt it will happen. I is very frustrating :(

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so sorry, Carol, this is one of those travl snafus that is just maddening. I'd get back on the 'net and find a hotel at some point along your route. Then, you can enjoy the experience rather than your memories of the eclipse being nothing more than the 8-hour drive.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@CarolNLG it's going to be a nightmare in Carbondale. I would make sure to fill your vehicle up and take plenty of cash as they've been advising that cc machines might go down. Also, if your drive is normally 4 hours, I'd add a couple of hours to that to get down here. I'm heading down to DeSoto for a friend's party that starts at 9 and it's normally 45min to an hour. I'm planning on 2 hours to get down there.

Aug 14, 2017
I'll make sure to email the executives listed after the trip, to try and make sure the people who handled my case get their hooray. We actually saw the information on the reservation, and it will cost upwards of 300 dollars. Still, hotwire made it so we only paid the 52 dollars on our original reservation. That is good costumer service!

Aug 14, 2017
I'd like to update and let you all know! Everything went super smoothly! The hotel reservation was kept and hotwire has won a costumer for life (and I'm the one who's usually very much against OTA and consolidators!)
Do you think the executives list on the site could also be used for compliments?

Apr 10, 2017
That's great news. The company contacts can absolutely be used to send compliments as well as complaints. In fact I'm sure they'd welcome some positive feedback for a change. I sent a complimentary email to the customer service VP at T-Mobile to tell her how happy I was with the service I've gotten and I made sure to mention 2 people by name. She replied with a thank you and copied the CEO. People are quick to point out fault with a company and its employees so why not praise them too when it's warranted?