ebay closed my account and kept 300 dollar in gift cards

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 12, 2019
To summarize the case briefly I bought 3 giftcards to ebay for 100 dollars each from staples. I used it to purchase a VR head set that was then canceled. the ebay gift card app shows that there is still the full amount on all card but I cant use it on ebay. My account on ebay was shut down because I shipped to a mail forward address that violated their terms and conditions. I contacted them and they said that I had to fill out a form (email below) and they would get back to me. I call several several times and they said I had to wait. I tried to email them back but that email kept bouncing back.

Sep 19, 2015
May l ask why the purchase was sent to a mail or package forwarding service? And gift cards were used instead of direct payment?

These are the types of things that trip fraud algorithms.

Why buy eBay gift cards for yourself which can only be used of eBay?

Mar 12, 2019
Thanks for your comment. I did it because I had the gift cards that I received as a gift and I was away from home when the package shipped.

Now that I realized that this tripped fraud algorithms won’t do it again .

But need to figure out this problem what’s done is done and no matter the reason doesn’t justify eBay holiding 300 dollars of my money

Mar 12, 2019
Thanks for your comment. I did it because I had the gift cards that I received as a gift and I was away from home when the package shipped.

Now that I realized that this tripped fraud algorithms won’t do it again .

But need to figure out this problem what’s done is done and no matter the reason doesn’t justify eBay holiding 300 dollars of my money
Sorry I misspoke - i purchased the gift cards as a gift but didnt end up using them as a gift - instead used them on ebay. please forgive the confusion. EITHER way doesnt really matter why i did it still doesnt justify ebays behavior

Feb 16, 2018
At first you said you bought the gift cards, then you say that you received them as a gift, which was it? If you purchased them, what Staples store did you purchase them from?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sorry I misspoke - i purchased the gift cards as a gift but didnt end up using them as a gift - instead used them on ebay. please forgive the confusion. EITHER way doesnt really matter why i did it still doesnt justify ebays behavior
It does though. This is one of the ways someone who steals credit cards operates. They have the items shipped to a forwarding site, it is against Ebsy policy so they can hold the money if they believe this is a fraudulant purchase. They aren’t going to give funds back.

You can complete this form to see if our researcher can find contacts for Ebay:

https://www.elliott.org/research/

Then follow this on how to write;
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Sep 19, 2015
Remember that a fraud algorithm is done by a computer and then it takes time for a person to review. What you need to do is write to the company and explain the situation and attach documents such as the receipts for the gift cards and be polite and patient.

Mar 12, 2019
I have written to the eBay several times explaining the situations and attaching all documents since June 2018.

They asked me to upload relevant documents through a secure link I did that and no one responded

Sent several emails and made several calls which were never answered or returned

Not sure what else to do

Sep 19, 2015
I have written to the eBay several times explaining the situations and attaching all documents since June 2018.

They asked me to upload relevant documents through a secure link I did that and no one responded

Sent several emails and made several calls which were never answered or returned

Not sure what else to do
Fill out the form Neil linked to find the right people to contact.

Mar 12, 2019
I was able to find these:

PRESIDENT, North America
Bill Cobb
bcobb@ebay.com

COO
Stephen Fisher
sfisher@ebay.com

SVP Global Operations
Wendy Jones
wjones@ebay.com

CEO
Devin Wenig
dwenig@ebay.com

Read this first How to Appeal Your Case

Thanks for this! Working on a response that is coherent and with the correct paper source. But is it appropriate to email these guys - I feel like this is way below their pay grade? Would you email all of them or each independently?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for this! Working on a response that is coherent and with the correct paper source. But is it appropriate to email these guys - I feel like this is way below their pay grade? Would you email all of them or each independently?
Thats why the contacts are there. But you don't start at the top, you start at the lowest executive and work your way up. If people do their job below the CEO, the letter never gets to them.