easycar.com offered free cancellation but then lost my reservation and wouldn't refund my money

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 15, 2018
I found easycar.com on kayak.com where, in red letters, it said: "free cancellation up to 48 hours before your pickup." I reserved a car in Melbourne, Australia in December 2017 and then, 2 days later when my plans changed I went to cancel the reservation (this was weeks before the rental date). When I used the "Manage my booking" link in their confirmation email, it said the information entered was incorrect. Over the following month, I contacted them at least 6 times. They couldn't find my reservation and each time they asked and I provided every piece of information about the booking, credit card charge, etc. Every time they said they would issue a refund or I could contact my credit card company for a refund. Each time they said they would keep in touch with updates regarding the refund. They didn't and I had to keep emailing them to try and cancel and get my refund (all this was taking time from my vacation). I never got a response even though they (and their parent, rentalcars.com) promised my refund would be processed. Finally, I gave up and disputed the charge with my credit card company (as easycar.com told me to do). To add insult to injury, easycar.com challenged the claim and my credit card company said they couldn't help. All the things they promise are a sham. They are the most unscrupulous car rental company or the most incompetent I've ever dealt with. Easycar.com and their parent rentalcars.com are absolutely the worst when it comes to honesty and competence

Is there any way you can help me get my money back? As far as I'm concerned, they owe me $153.78.

Here's a cut and paste directly from one of the easycar.com emails:
"Dear xxx, Thank you for your email.
We tried to look for the reservation xxxxxxxxx and we couldn't find it, not even on the email address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.
You can either request a chargeback to your bank or send us the following information for us to track your reservation....."

As for the credit card company here's the reason for their denial, "We cannot intervene in situations involving a merchant's return, refund, or cancellation policy." So even though I provided all the email exchanges I had with easycar.com and rentalcars.com and pointed out that they couldn't even find my reservation in order to cancel it, and that the merchant told me to make the claim, they wouldn't do anything. BTW, the credit card is the Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa and I literally spend tens of thousands each year on it. I'll be rethinking whether to keep it as my main travel card. I did everything by the book. I'm not a newbie and have solo traveled to over 50 countries; multiple times to most of them. 24614505347_cc3b9192c2_k.jpg

Apr 15, 2018
I've attached their email confirmation and a second email exchange when I was unable to access the reservation to cancel it. My request is at the bottom and easyCar's response is at the top of the pdf.

The purpose of the screenshot attached to my first post here was to show how prominently it states at the top "FREE cancellation up to 48 hours before pick-up."

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So you sent them a copy of the confirmation and gave them the last 4 digits of your cc and they still couldn’t find it? When you clicked on that orange button on the confirmation for the voucher- what appeared on that?

Are you located in the US? I’ve never heard of that car rental company. We often don’t have access to non US companies.

Apr 15, 2018
Not only did I send them the requested info from that request but there were probably over 6 different exchanges where they'd try and find my reservation. Each time they told me their accounts department would locate the reservation and get back to me. Each time I wouldn't hear from them. Then I started hearing from their parent company, rentalcars.com. They were equally incompetent. Here's our last exchange:

Dear XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your email.

My name is Iram, I am here to help you, I had a look at your query and from this I can see that you waiting for a refund.

I am really sorry you are having to chase this up once again, I have emailed the agent to find out if he has received an answer from the accounts team, I have also emailed the accounts team myself just in case the previous agent has not been in the office.

I should have an answer by the end of tomorrow, I should then be able to advise when you will receive your refund.

I hope my response has been satisfactory under the current circumstances. Should you require any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact us.

You may also receive an email survey asking about the service i have provided you and this is a reflection of my service only not rentalcars.com or the car hire company. I would really appreciate your feed back on my service as its the only way we can determine we are offering and striving to help our customer in difficult situations.

Kind regards,

Iram Aftab

Reservations Department - Rentalcars.com
Floors 9-12
Sunlight House
Quay Street
Manchester
M3 3JZ
UK
e: reservations-uk@rentalcars.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's been almost another week since I last heard from you. The time for the rental I've been trying to cancel has now passed and I still don't see a refund to my credit card. If I haven't received confirmation of the credit by Monday, 22 January I'll have no alternative than to challenge the charge with my credit card company and supply them with all our email correspondence showing my multiple attempts to cancel, your inability to even locate my reservation and your promise to process the credit.

Needless to say, I will never do business with you again and plan to post my experience to Flyertalk and other social media. One shouldn't have to waste vacation time in this manner.

XXXXXXXX

I never heard from them again and as I said in my original post not only didn't they process the refund but then they opposed my dispute with the credit card company even though they had told me to pursue that course of action. This has been going on for 4 months now and your organization and shaming them on social media are my final recourse.

As for their location, I clicked through to them from kayak.com. Apparently, easyCar.com and their parent company, rentalcars.com are UK based. Of course, when you transact anything online, there's no way to know beforehand where the company might be physically located.

In answer to your question about what happened when I clicked the "Manage My Booking" box, I got the message "The information you entered was incorrect." Had it worked I would have been able to cancel the reservation directly. The fact is I never was able to get to the reservation to manage it and, as I've previously stated, no one at easyCar.com or rentalcars.com was able to find my reservation information.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So you are not in the US and neither is easycar? That’s a bit of a problem. You need executive contacts at EasyCar to write to them.

The only thing I can suggest is using our Help function again and asking our researchers to see if they can locate Executives CDs and email addresses for the car company so you can write to Executives for help.

Apr 10, 2017
It looks like rentalcars.com is owned by Priceline Group, which is now Booking Holdings. Try emailing the company contacts at Priceline and see if that gets you somewhere. Go to Company Contacts at the top of this page and look under "Travel booking sites". Priceline contacts are there.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It looks like rentalcars.com is owned by Priceline Group, which is now Booking Holdings. Try emailing the company contacts at Priceline and see if that gets you somewhere. Go to Company Contacts at the top of this page and look under "Travel booking sites". Priceline contacts are there.
Is easycar.com the same as rentalcars.com? Easycar is located in England.

https://www.easycar.com

Apr 15, 2018
I'm in the US (Chicago), the rental was for a car in Australia and easyCar appears to be in England.

So you are not in the US and neither is easycar? That’s a bit of a problem. You need executive contacts at EasyCar to write to them.

The only thing I can suggest is using our Help function again and asking our researchers to see if they can locate Executives CDs and email addresses for the car company so you can write to Executives for help.

Apr 15, 2018
I have good news to report. I gave it one more try directly to their Customer Service Department. Unlike in the past, this time it went to someone with the authority to resolve the problem and issue the credit. Here's their response:

Dear Mr XXXXXX,

I am sorry we didn't get the chance to speak properly regarding your case, hopefully this e-mail will resolve your query, however as advised if you still wish to discuss this with me, please just reply to this e-mail and I can arrange to call you again around this time tomorrow.

Firstly, I wanted to apologise for the issues you have had with this booking. I have reviewed both the case you have submitted and the e-mails that have been going backwards and forwards between RentalCars.com and yourself since December.

I cannot understand the reason for us being unable to locate your booking. I, myself have been able to find the booking with the reference number you have provided me (and also to us on previous occasions). I can only assume that there was an issue with the system at the time as I would not expect that four separate agents were unable to locate a booking with the correct reference number. Furthermore, if you were having trouble accessing the booking on the manage my booking screen there must have been a system issue.

This however does not excuse the service you have received from us.

I can see that you tried to cancel your booking well in advance of our cancellation period and as I have been able to locate the booking I have cancelled it with a full refund today. Please allow up to 10 days for this to be received to your account ending 4166.

Furthermore, I have added a discount to your account for a future pre-paid rental with us. The amount will be dependent on the length and location of your rental, please just quote reference XXXXXXX when booking again via telephone or e-mail.

Once again, I offer my sincerest apologies for the way in which your query has been dealt with and hope that this does not stop you from using us again in the future.

Thank you,

Jade

Customer Relations Department

Apr 10, 2017
That's great news. A lot of times with these big companies it depends on which customer service agent you happen to get. I'm glad you finally got someone who was able to address your problem and fix it.

Sep 19, 2015
Congratulations -- I have to admit that those were some strange emails from rentalcars, with the customer service person saying to dispute the charge because the could not find it. It does sound like a programming error, but what a mess.

Sep 19, 2015
Easycar.com - I believe that’s not the same company as rentalcars.com. Am I missing something?
easycar is a part of rentalcars.com, it is the branded car rental that is related to easyjet out of the UK -- Traveljigsaw is the actual company for both -- if that makes any sense,,,,