EASIRENT Scotland - CDW Obfuscation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 1, 2018
In August 2018 I rented a vehicle from EasiRent.com near Glasgow Airport, Scotland.

I am requesting a refund of the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) charge (238 English pounds) that the rental agent said was required by Scottish Law. I only learned after the rental that I should have been offered (but was not offered) the option of providing my own insurance information of CDW coverage in lieu of CDW provided by EasiRent. My U.S. automobile insurance provider informed me that I have CDW coverage for rental vehicles and I need not purchase CDW from the rental company.

I am very disappointed by this aspect of the EasiRent process that I experienced.

Sep 19, 2015
Does your insurance cover a rental car in Europe?

Most European car rental companies do not accept US insurance anyway as it is not a product regulated by the country and there are no reciprocal agreements or authorizations to provide insurance in the UK

Sep 19, 2015
And did you have proof of the insurance coverage when you rented in Scotland? And the company can do business in Scotland?

Oct 5, 2016
Yes, but he said “my US automobile insurance provider” which implied to me as his regular car insurance. I would agree regarding credit card based travel insurance.

Jul 27, 2016
Yes, but he said “my US automobile insurance provider” which implied to me as his regular car insurance. I would agree regarding credit card based travel insurance.
That's how I read it too, that he was referring to his auto insurer (State Farm, Geico, Travelers, etc.).

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Alas, Douglas, the time to check on your insurance was before you picked up the car, I'm sorry to say. Some personal auto policies may cover you driving anywhere, anytime; AAA covers me driving any car and anyone driving my personal vehicle. I don't know if the coverage is restricted to the US or not - my Chase card covers me for car rentals so I've never checked. If your insurance company covers you, you'd need to check those details very carefully. The rental agency needs written proof that their car is covered by your insurance at the time you pick up the vehicle.

Aug 9, 2017
Heck, Allstate states
"WHAT COVERAGE DO YOU NEED?
Typically, your personal car insurance policy will not cover you abroad. But, your insurer will likely protect you when you drive into Canada, and generally will only provide limited coverage in Mexico, so it's a good idea to check with your agent.".