Early Departure Fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 3, 2015
I recently made multi-night reservations with Holiday inn expresses in Portsmouth and London England for end of May . Both reservations included an "early departure charge of 50 pounds This type of fee is new to me . Do you know what is going on?
Is this becoming standard practice in hotel business (just another fee?) or is it unique to Holiday Inn (Intercontinental) and/or England Thanks for info that you can provide

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It is be becoming more popular. People book a hotel for 3 nights, decide when they get there they only want 2 and want to check out early, leaving the hotel with a room they may not be able to re-sell at the last minute. This the penalty to dissuade the consumer from doing this.

Mar 4, 2015
I recently made multi-night reservations with Holiday inn expresses in Portsmouth and London England for end of May . Both reservations included an "early departure charge of 50 pounds This type of fee is new to me . Do you know what is going on?
Is this becoming standard practice in hotel business (just another fee?) or is it unique to Holiday Inn (Intercontinental) and/or England Thanks for info that you can provide
Did you book using a special rate? I could not find any mention of this fee on the webpage for the Portmouth, England Holiday Inn Express or as part of the public-rate booking process.

But Google finds this in the terms for their Govt/Public Sector rates:

An early departure fee is applicable to guests who check out prior to the agreed check-our [sic] date
https://www.ihg.com/content/dam/etc...d_Conditions_for_Generic_Government_Rates.pdf

Mar 25, 2015
cali
Is it because you pre-paid? Like everyone else on this thread, i think that's a little strange.
What if you ending up wanting to check out later?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yes, Henry, this early-depart fee is a policy at lots and lots of hotels. When you think about it, it makes sense. You have a 3-night res, and on the 3rd morning you decide to move on. The hotel has not shown your room as available, so it may just stay empty that third night. They want you to cancel the 3 nights and rebook for 2 nights so they can keep track of available rooms.n Barring that, they want you to not leave at the "last minute".

R

Realitoes

Looks like this may actually be property dependent among the Holiday Inn express hotels (both are best flexible rates):

Holiday Inn Express - London - Victoria

london_victoria.JPG

Holiday Inn Express - London - Southwark

london_southwark.JPG

Mar 4, 2015
I made reservation directly on the priority club website http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/rewardsclub/home
I used the Points plus money( 25,000 + $70) option for London and a standard senior rate for Portsmouth
I can see logic in fee but I have not noticed this type of fee before except at "resort properties" in places like Hawaii
Is this the hotel in Portsmouth-- https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/portsmouth/pmegq/hoteldetail
?

You can use the "Email Hotel" link on that page to inquire directly with the hotel.

I don't see any disclosure of an Early Departure Fee (for Senior rates or any other public rate). I suppose it's conceivable this hotel discontinued the fee or applies it only in certain narrow situations (e.g. peak dates / long stays).

Do you still have the email confirmation for your reservation? Is there any reference to an Early Departure Fee?

Aug 28, 2015
New York
@henry S I have never heard of this in my life. I am so glad you posted this and the others confirmed this is a thing. I don't get it. If one leaves early, less wear and tear on the room and they can rebook. They lose on food and bev from the previously booked guest I guess. This is definitely something to look out for that never would have occurred to me.

Nov 3, 2015
Is this the hotel in Portsmouth-- https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/portsmouth/pmegq/hoteldetail
?

You can use the "Email Hotel" link on that page to inquire directly with the hotel.

I don't see any disclosure of an Early Departure Fee (for Senior rates or any other public rate). I suppose it's conceivable this hotel discontinued the fee or applies it only in certain narrow situations (e.g. peak dates / long stays).
Do you still have the email confirmation for your reservation? Is there any reference to an Early Departure Fee?
I have info - Fee is clearly disclosed - My concern is primarily that hotel are coping the "fee for everything -like resort fees)" model from the airlines Info below
Holiday Inn Express PORTSMOUTH - GUNWHARF QUAYS

1 Double Bed Max 2ppl Nonsmoking - Non Smoking

Rate Type: Senior Discount Number of Rooms: 1

Room Rate Per Night:

Sat 21 May 2016 - Sat 21 May 2016 £135.00 (GBP)

Sun 22 May 2016 - Sun 22 May 2016 £108.00 (GBP)

Mon 23 May 2016 - Mon 23 May 2016 £117.00 (GBP)

Estimated Total Price: £360.00 (GBP)* MODIFY RESERVATION

Cancellation Policy: Canceling your reservation before 4:00 PM (local hotel time) on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 will result in no charge. Canceling your reservation after 4:00 PM (local hotel time) on 21 May, 2016, or failing to show, will result in a charge equal to the first night's stay per room to your credit card. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation. Rate Description: Senior Discount rate is available for guests 62 years and older or with valid membership ID of a retired person organization. Proof of eligibility required at check in.

Hotel Information:

Early Departure Fee: £50.00 (GBP)

Daily Parking Fee: £2.00 (GBP)

Pet Policy: Assistance Dogs only

* Additional taxes and charges may apply. Other hotel-specific service charges may also apply.

Mar 4, 2015
I have info - Fee is clearly disclosed - My concern is primarily that hotel are coping the "fee for everything -like resort fees)" model from the airlines Info below

Rate Type: Senior Discount Number of Rooms: 1

Room Rate Per Night:

Sat 21 May 2016 - Sat 21 May 2016 £135.00 (GBP)

Sun 22 May 2016 - Sun 22 May 2016 £108.00 (GBP)

Mon 23 May 2016 - Mon 23 May 2016 £117.00 (GBP)

Estimated Total Price: £360.00 (GBP)* MODIFY RESERVATION

Cancellation Policy: Canceling your reservation before 4:00 PM (local hotel time) on Saturday, 21 May, 2016 will result in no charge. Canceling your reservation after 4:00 PM (local hotel time) on 21 May, 2016, or failing to show, will result in a charge equal to the first night's stay per room to your credit card. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation. Rate Description: Senior Discount rate is available for guests 62 years and older or with valid membership ID of a retired person organization. Proof of eligibility required at check in.

Hotel Information:

Early Departure Fee: £50.00 (GBP)

Daily Parking Fee: £2.00 (GBP)

Pet Policy: Assistance Dogs only

* Additional taxes and charges may apply. Other hotel-specific service charges may also apply.
Oh wait, this is a FUTURE (May 2016) reservation, and they require you to PRE-PAY the Early Departure Fee?? (And then they refund the fee when you don't check out early?) That's bizarre...

And funny, I just checked the Senior Rate for your exact dates and room type and I don't see this fee (not for any of the other currently available room types either). I also see a slightly lower rate than you report. (see attached screen capture below)

Can you cancel your reservation [w/o forfeiting your Early Departure Fee prepayment] and re-book under the current terms?

Attachments

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Are you planning to leave early? If not it's not a big deal. Obviously the hotel is having problems with people doing this so they have implemented a fee.

If you aren't planning on staying the entire time at least you have time to change your dates do you won't have a problem. And you'll know to check a hotel cancellation policy next time you book.

Mar 4, 2015
I would write to the hotel and ask them to confirm that they must refund your Early Departure Fee if you check out as scheduled, or if you cancel before the 'free' cancellation deadline.

By May, it will probably be too late to dispute this with your credit card if they drag their feet on refunding it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I
I would write to the hotel and ask them to confirm that they must refund your Early Departure Fee if you check out as scheduled, or if you cancel before the 'free' cancellation deadline.

By May, it will probably be too late to dispute this with your credit card if they drag their feet on refunding it.
Is our writer even considering leaving early? If he is he can simply revise his booking. If he isn't, this is much ado about nothing.

Mar 4, 2015
Is our writer even considering leaving early? If he is he can simply revise his booking. If he isn't, this is much ado about nothing.
If @henry S PREPAID the fee he should verify the conditions under which it is refunded.

If he hasn't prepaid anything, then he might as well cancel his reservation and re-book at the current [Senior] rate which is lower and which also doesn't have an Early Departure Fee.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If @henry S PREPAID the fee he should verify the conditions under which it is refunded.

If he hasn't prepaid anything, then he might as well cancel his reservation and re-book at the current [Senior] rate which is lower and which also doesn't have an Early Departure Fee.
He said he booked at the Senior rate. And it seems that the fee is predicated on the hotel you book - not all of the Holiday Inns are charging it. See Realitoes posting with another Holiday Inn that doesn't have the charge. In any case, when clicking on the cancellation policy, it is shown so one can see if before they actually book the room if you verify the cancellation policy.

Mar 4, 2015
He said he booked at the Senior rate. And it seems that the fee is predicated on the hotel you book - not all of the Holiday Inns are charging it. See Realitoes posting with another Holiday Inn that doesn't have the charge. In any case, when clicking on the cancellation policy, it is shown so one can see if before they actually book the room if you verify the cancellation policy.
See screenshot in post #14.

Exact same hotel, room type, and rate type as @henry S quoted.

Rate Type: Senior Discount Number of Rooms: 1​