EA+ and Chase Sapphire Reserve

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 21, 2019
For evacuation coverage, each plan wants me to have their coordinator authorize/arrange treatment and evacuation.
How do I do this ? Which one had priority ?
Not an immediate question. Just want to be prepared for emergencies.

Feb 3, 2017
I always contact the insurance company to clarify anything I am not certain about and if they have a "chat" feature I use that to have a written record and if I do this by phone, I get the email address and follow up a phone call outlining my understanding of what I was informed so again, it is in writing and there is a chance to correct anything I have misunderstood.

I too do not know what EA+ is.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It would be helpful if you outlined the details of your situation. We don't want to give advice that may or may not be relevant. Reading all the details of each plan may allow you to answer your own question.

Jul 21, 2019
Thank you for your interest. I have had coverage under Chase Sapphire Reserve card for several years, just got EA+ (annual plan for evacuation coverage) this year. No claims made or pending.
Each policy states that their own administrator must arrange and approve evacuation services prior to the evacuation taking place. I was hoping someone had encountered a situation like this. The CSR coverage only is effective for trips paid gor in part using CSR card. EA+ has so such restriction.
Did I sign up for duplicate coverage that conflicts with CSR coverage ?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should call both companies and ask them directly which would be the one that would be primary if something happened. We aren’t insurance sales people so we can speculate but ultimately the insurance companies are best suited to answer. I am curious myself what the answer is.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you for your interest. I have had coverage under Chase Sapphire Reserve card for several years, just got EA+ (annual plan for evacuation coverage) this year. No claims made or pending.
Each policy states that their own administrator must arrange and approve evacuation services prior to the evacuation taking place. I was hoping someone had encountered a situation like this. The CSR coverage only is effective for trips paid gor in part using CSR card. EA+ has so such restriction.
Interesting situation, Laura. I have Chase Sapphire and MedJet Emergency Evac, plus my personal auto coverage, and all that stuff. I needed more insurance for some trip (more than $10K total each that's comp with Sapphire) and was talking with the people at Travel Insurance in Omaha. I was informed that their insurance would be secondary (they're brokers and I can't remember the name of the company who issued the policy). Secondary means that I would submit a claim to Chase as primary, then submit a claim to the purchased insurance who should take care of any deductibles or whatever that Chase didn't. Seems to me that it would work like Medicare and supplementary insurance such as Blue Shield. Medicare pays "their part" of a medical bill, and Blue Shield pays the rest. I urge you to talk to EA, whatever it is, and get it clarified. You need to know the procedures in case of emergency.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I just looked at a policy we have and am trying to figure out what they are talking about with which policy would be primary since I have an annual and also buy supplemental when needed. I realized I have to call the insurance companies myself and ask.

Feb 3, 2019
The CSR coverage only is effective for trips paid gor in part using CSR card. EA+ has so such restriction.
I think you already have your answer right here.
  • EA+ will always cover you (at least, according to its terms).
  • Chase will cover you only when you paid with your CSR card.
It's only duplicate for your Chase purchases, and only if Chase offers at least the same benefits.

I'd check the exact coverage, processes, and terms to determine whether you ever want to use the CSR benefit, or if EA+ should always be the one you (or more likely, someone on your behalf) will use to arrange any medevac. Just be sure whoever would make those arrangements knows which one to contact.