Duped now wanting refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 7, 2019
I’ve been beating myself up for the last month for being so naive and stupid.
Here’s the short version.
A family member called with a sob story of not having the ability to pay their final cruise payment.
My family member told me they would pay me back weekly until the final payment of $2k was paid off.
I believed them.
So I called RCL and put the balance on my Citibank Visa.
Two weeks goes by and not a payment back from my family member.
I now realize I just paid for a 7day cruise for 2 adults in June.
Livid, I call RCL trying to get a refund on my money.
Unfortunately since I am not on the itinerary I can’t ask for a refund. ONLY my family member can request that.
I filed a dispute with my credit card since contacting RCL didn’t get me anywhere.

What do you think my chances are that the dispute will go in my favor? I’m very worried because I can’t afford to pay for a vacation for two 45 year old adults.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You will probably lose. Did they steal your credit card to make the payments? You would have to state they stole your card because you willingly fell for their sob stories. You’ll need to report the card stolen and file theft charges against your relatives to price you didn’t willingly make the payment.

Your issue is with your relatives and you need to take THEM to small claims court if necessary.

May 7, 2019
Unfortunately I live in LA and they are in Philadelphia. I have no problem taking them to court but wondering if I have to go to Philly to do it.

Feb 16, 2018
You would have to consult with an attorney to see where the jurisdiction for a civil suit would be against your relative. With what stated here you should not attempt to make a criminal case for theft, because you willingly paid for the cruise. If you contact your local bar association they may be able to advise you of a local attorney that can guide you through the civil lawsuit process, or if you qualify, a legal aid group.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Interesting situation, by filing a dispute your relatives cruise may likely be cancelled by the cruise line but neither of you will get a refund and there is a good possibility your relatives won’t get a cruise.
When they call to challenge about this just tell them Karma is a B....

Oh and you will loose the dispute because RCCL did nothing wrong.

May 1, 2018
You filed a chargeback on a legitimate transaction that was authorized by you? The chances that the credit card dispute will go in your favor are approximately zero. What you did is called chargeback fraud. A credit card chargeback is not a solution to buyer's remorse. Your recourse is with your family member.

May 7, 2019
You filed a chargeback on a legitimate transaction that was authorized by you? The chances that the credit card dispute will go in your favor are approximately zero. What you did is called chargeback fraud. A credit card chargeback is not a solution to buyer's remorse. Your recourse is with your family member.
The cruise is in June and I filed a dispute within two weeks of the charge. I’m not trying to defraud anyone. Just want my money returned and hoping RCL will seek payment from the two going on cruise.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The cruise is in June and I filed a dispute within two weeks of the charge. I’m not trying to defraud anyone. Just want my money returned and hoping RCL will seek payment from the two going on cruise.
I feel very badly for you after reading your story. Just one thing after the other. Contact your CC immediately and cancel the dispute. Tell them you didn't understand what you were doing. Research Small Claims Court and see what you can find out about the venue difference between LA and Philadelphia. This is an incredibly sad story. Even if you were to prevail in SCC, you'd still have to collect from these awful relatives. Is there another "strong" family member who might intervene here? This is really awful for you. I hope that you can salvage something out of this.

Feb 21, 2018
While you may not be intentionally trying to defraud, your actions in the chargeback represent that situation. By your own admission, you made the call to RCL and authorized the charge. It doesn't matter that you've changed your mind. That you've made that payment on someone else's behalf doesn't matter.

RCL will not permit you to take back the payment, because it isn't your reservation. Only the named individuals on that reservation control it - and for good reason. This prevents some random person from cancelling someone else's vacation.

By now, because the date is beyond the final payment period there are penalties for any type of cancellation.

I agree with the others - RCL is not at fault here at all. Your only recourse is to attempt to get the money from the family member.

Dec 19, 2014
As others have said, your dispute is with your family members and you will lose the dispute with the credit card because you authorized the charge.

Having said that, I am interested to see how this will pan out. By merely disputing the charge, would that action cause RCL to cancel the cruise? You will still be liable for the charge because you are past any cancellation period.

Feb 21, 2018
As others have said, your dispute is with your family members and you will lose the dispute with the credit card because you authorized the charge.

Having said that, I am interested to see how this will pan out. By merely disputing the charge, would that action cause RCL to cancel the cruise? You will still be liable for the charge because you are past any cancellation period.
I doubt the cruise would be cancelled - RCL has been paid, and as long as the the dispute is settled in RCL's favor (which is likely) the cruise will remain paid...they'll have no reason to cancel the reservation.