Dublin Fiasco

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 17, 2018
Please Help,

My fiance and I were recently in Ireland for my sisters wedding about a week ago. After the wedding we decided to rent a car to drive out to the west coast before flying to Rome. I reserved a Nissan manual SUV from Hertz Dublin Airport. When we arrived we were given a Kadjar Diesel which seemed fine. I was urged to get the Supercover Zero Dollar deductible insurance by the desk clerk. I was told that this covers absolutely everything except wheels and tires. This seemed like a good idea as we were out of the country. We loaded our bags and set off. Fifty yards out of the rental lot, I could tell the car was driving roughly. Since we were heading across Ireland, I felt it prudent to turn around and return the vehicle before we got too far away from Hertz. We took the block around and the vehicle completely broke down in the middle of a turning lane at a very busy intersection. The clutch pedal sucked to the floor and the car was immobilized. Smoke began billowing out of the car and we removed our luggage to the street fearing that the car was catching on fire.

We called Hertz for nearly an hour before getting in contact with anyone, all the while in the middle of heavy traffic withohut any emergency kit or caution triangle. When Hertz finally came to pick us up, they told me that I had burned the clutch out and that my Super Cover insurance did not cover driver negligence. I should add that I have been driving standard vehicles for years and that my first truck was a standard. I have never burned a clutch out of any of these vehicles. They then immediately charged my card for $1173.13. They then offered to rent me another car for more money. At that point, we were completely overwhelmed and the staff was very rude to both myself and my fiance. We decided to just stay in Dublin rather than risk being charged more by Hertz. As a result, we lost and additional $131.45 on an Airbnb that we never got to stay in.

I contacted Hertz in the US and Ireland but Hertz USA has told me they will look into it but Hertz Ireland is a franchise.

As of this morning both Hertz USA and Hertz Ireland are standing by their claim that the vehicle damage was my fault. I read of a similar case on your website and would like to ask for your help in resolving it. I really don't know what else to do besides disputing the claim with my credit card company but fear they will turn this over to a collections agency that will affect my credit. I feel completely scammed by Hertz.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Please Help,

My fiance and I were recently in Ireland for my sisters wedding about a week ago. After the wedding we decided to rent a car to drive out to the west coast before flying to Rome. I reserved a Nissan manual SUV from Hertz Dublin Airport. When we arrived we were given a Kadjar Diesel which seemed fine. I was urged to get the Supercover Zero Dollar deductible insurance by the desk clerk. I was told that this covers absolutely everything except wheels and tires. This seemed like a good idea as we were out of the country. We loaded our bags and set off. Fifty yards out of the rental lot, I could tell the car was driving roughly. Since we were heading across Ireland, I felt it prudent to turn around and return the vehicle before we got too far away from Hertz. We took the block around and the vehicle completely broke down in the middle of a turning lane at a very busy intersection. The clutch pedal sucked to the floor and the car was immobilized. Smoke began billowing out of the car and we removed our luggage to the street fearing that the car was catching on fire.

We called Hertz for nearly an hour before getting in contact with anyone, all the while in the middle of heavy traffic withohut any emergency kit or caution triangle. When Hertz finally came to pick us up, they told me that I had burned the clutch out and that my Super Cover insurance did not cover driver negligence. I should add that I have been driving standard vehicles for years and that my first truck was a standard. I have never burned a clutch out of any of these vehicles. They then immediately charged my card for $1173.13. They then offered to rent me another car for more money. At that point, we were completely overwhelmed and the staff was very rude to both myself and my fiance. We decided to just stay in Dublin rather than risk being charged more by Hertz. As a result, we lost and additional $131.45 on an Airbnb that we never got to stay in.

I contacted Hertz in the US and Ireland but Hertz USA has told me they will look into it but Hertz Ireland is a franchise.

As of this morning both Hertz USA and Hertz Ireland are standing by their claim that the vehicle damage was my fault. I read of a similar case on your website and would like to ask for your help in resolving it. I really don't know what else to do besides disputing the claim with my credit card company but fear they will turn this over to a collections agency that will affect my credit. I feel completely scammed by Hertz.
Hertz in Italy is trying the same type of scam.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/hertz-italy-burnt-clutch.8667/

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Take heart, travellers! Rental car agencies all over the world are pulling this stupid foolishness. It's pathetic and disgusting. There must be a good number of customers who fall for this insanity, but you two have come to the right place. Follow Neil's guidance carefully ... our method works. Polite, patient and persistent will get these false claims against you dropped. If your card's been charged without your permission, file a dispute within your CC's deadline. Be prepared to be met with boiler-plate communications, they think you'll get tired of this and go away. Please come back when this is settled and let us know.

Sep 17, 2018
They have informed me that they intend to "recover their investment" if I dispute the claim with my credit card. I have emailed the CEO as well as multiple customer care reps in both countries. They keep kicking the can down the road. Is it possible for an Elliott's representative to contact them on my behalf? I feel like I'm getting nowhere with these people.

Sep 17, 2018
I went straight to the CEO since the other contacts provided were for USA customer service which I previously contacted. I've been told by them that Hertz Ireland is a franchise and governs itself but USA customer service has contacted Ireland Hertz. Ireland Hertz is still standing by their claim that I am responsible for the clutch. I contacted my credit card this morning to open a dispute. I have yet to hear back from the CEO.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That is exactly what we tell you NOT to do. If you write to the CEO first and he or she says no- you have no one to appeal to.

For a writer to consider your case you need to follow the chain of escalation exactly try as we tell you to- starting at the lowest executive and moving up one by one with a week in between letters.

Please start over and write to the lowest executive. You need to tell the Executive why the response you posted - you hadn’t even gone a block away and the car broke down, and that you want to see maintenance records on the car go see if it’s been properly serviced.

Please start over and follow our directions on his to write to the Executives- without a paper trail that you wrote to all of them one at a time, the writers can’t determine if they can help.

Sep 6, 2015
I had a problem with a car I rented in Dublin a year ago from Sixt through AutoEurope. A warning light came on halfway between Dublin and Belfast, and once we realized it was a tire pressure sensor (another warning light came on but I can’t remember what it was). I called Auto Europe for their assistance, and after 30 minutes on the phone, all she could tell me was that I was “in another country,” meaning Northern Ireland, and that I would have to take it to a mechanic and if they deemed it unsafe to drive, we would have to return to Dublin by bus or train, to get another car, and that they would reimburse me for the costs. As we were in Belfast, the odds of finding a mechanic open on a Sunday was slim to none. I found a Sixt rental agency in Belfast, but they couldn’t swap the car out because they didn’t have one with plates from the Republic of Ireland. While they couldn’t help determine whether it was safe to drive (they didn’t have a mechanic available), they did write a report stating that I brought it in (and also proved that the auxiliary plug didn’t work, meaning I couldn’t plug in my GPS, putting me over use for the data plan on the Wi-Fi hotspot I rented). We decided to risk it and drive to Galway instead of losing another day going back to Dublin (there were a few Sixt agencies in Galway that could help there). When I got home, I contacted Auto Europe not only about the problems with the car, but the problems I had with their customer service agent (they guarantee 24 hour assistance around the world). Using the techniques I learned here from a previous rental car issue on my first trip to Ireland that cost me $2400, I was able to get a partial refund from Sixt (negotiated by Auto Europe) as well as covering the extra data from the Wi-Fi hotspot and one other item (can’t remember the specifics). I was very satisfied with their resolution and will use Auto Europe again. Sixt? No way. In addition to the car issues, they left us at the rental car pick up spot for close to an hour, and another hour in the rental office that caused us to miss a reservation for a special afternoon tea in Dublin. The most interesting part was when Auto Europe wrote to me and said they hoped I would rent from them again in the future, noting that they worked with other companies in addition to Sixt.

Apr 23, 2018
So now we have another caveat emptor requirement? Now we have to examine whether an agency that carries the name Hertz (or other internationally famous brand) really is that brand? Or simply a "franchise" that Hertz takes no responsibility for? So sad!

Aug 30, 2015
They are all doing this. Sixt is becoming a player with these type of claims too.

Use our tips on how to prevent these type of claims:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-protect-yourself-when-renting-a-car.1314/
Some countries, such as Ireland, require you to buy their insurance when you pick up the car.

From Budget Ireland Site:
Basic Cover - Included
When you hire a vehicle from Budget, the price you pay automatically includes a basic level of cover should you be involved in an accident or breakdown.
They do sell "Excess reduction" - which is labelled as optional.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2015
So now we have another caveat emptor requirement? Now we have to examine whether an agency that carries the name Hertz (or other internationally famous brand) really is that brand? Or simply a "franchise" that Hertz takes no responsibility for? So sad!
Unfortunately, this isn't just the case internationally, it happens in the US too. Many smaller airport and city locations are franchises for the major auto rental firms, and the corporate offices try to wash their hands of the situation by saying "it's a franchise". To me, that's not an excuse, and marketing 101 would tell you that if your name is on the brand, it's your good name that is getting smashed. We see the same thing in the hotel/motel industry, where franchises are prevalent.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so relieved to read that AutoEurope will assist their customers. I've never had the occasion to call on them for a problem in 20 or so years, so this is welcome news. It's getting to the point that we all need to take up bicycle riding wherever we travel.