Double Airline Booking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2019
My husband and I found ourselves in a predicament regarding recently purchased Delta flights - we only needed one and ended up reserving two! One way tickets on the same day in two different cities….. Obviously we can’t use both of them and honestly I don’t even know how this happened other than two seniors were let loose on the computer to plan some time away. This is a very costly mistake for us ($536.60). We tried in vain to cancel our Palm Springs flight, but our flight insurance didn’t help, Delta didn’t help and Expedia didn’t help :(. We were bluntly told we were out of luck.

I completely understand that there must be regulations and each of us needs to be responsible, but it was an honest mistake and now we are out a chunk of money :(

I did email Charisse Evans (Delta executive) a note today. Sadly, I think we have exercised all of our options...

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
My husband and I found ourselves in a predicament regarding recently purchased Delta flights - we only needed one and ended up reserving two! One way tickets on the same day in two different cities….. Obviously we can’t use both of them and honestly I don’t even know how this happened other than two seniors were let loose on the computer to plan some time away. This is a very costly mistake for us ($536.60). We tried in vain to cancel our Palm Springs flight, but our flight insurance didn’t help, Delta didn’t help and Expedia didn’t help :(. We were bluntly told we were out of luck.

I completely understand that there must be regulations and each of us needs to be responsible, but it was an honest mistake and now we are out a chunk of money :(

I did email Charisse Evans (Delta executive) a note today. Sadly, I think we have exercised all of our options...
If you booked this on Expedia you need to deal with Expedia. Delta will not deal with this. If the tickets are non-refundable the most you may get is a future travel credit.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/expedia/

Sep 19, 2015
You did not notice this within 24 hours?

There are many seniors still working and using computers on a daily basis.

You can write to Expedia. You may not get much back in travel credits— or were these Basic Economy fares ie use it or lose it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree with Christina- you had 24 hours from the time you booked to cancel one of them at no charge. After that you are out of luck.

Didn’t you check the confirmations you would have received?

You can write to them but honestly I’m not hopeful of even getting a credit but we never say no- we’ve seen well written letters that the consumer was clearly wrong get exceptions made when it hit the desk of the right executive.

Feb 6, 2019
We know we had 24 hours to cancel. When the emails came in there were 4, 2 each for both of us. No we didn't read them because we assumed they were for both legs of our flights. Yes, it was a mistake on our part.

I was emailed by a representative from elliott.org and asked to post my double booking on this forum which I did. I wish I hadn't - I think we have been humiliated enough.

Mar 17, 2015
I do not think anyone here meant to humiliate you. Mistakes happen, whether we are 18 or 80. Now, why you do have an uphill battle, and most likely will not win, you can try. If you purchased through Expedia, start with the lowest level company contact and start writing. Own up to you mistake, ask for a one time reconsideration, maybe even offer to take a credit instead of a refund. Be polite, concise, and again, recognize that you made a mistake. Give the first contact a week to respond, then move up to the next if you have not heard. Keep moving up the list, waiting a week in between each.

I do think that what everyone here is saying is to temper your expectations. If you had booked two tickets out of the same airport on the same day, I think you may have had a better chance, but I am betting there is nothing in the system to check for two tickets out of two separate airports on the same day. Good luck with the writing campaign, hopefully you may be able to salvage a credit.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry for this little disaster. Unfortunately, it happens far too often. "People don't know what they don't know." You write well, so I would contact the online booking service with an "artfully begging" letter, ask them to cancel one of the tix and give you a credit towards a future Delta flight. Be very polite and appreciative of any help they might be able to offer. Be persistent ... we have seen miracles on this forum.

ADVOCATE ADVICE Book directly with the airline or hotel; if there are problems, you're in a much more positive position to receive their help. Read all the fine print before booking. Double-check everything, including your own name(!). Read confirmations and emails immediately.

Feb 11, 2018
You did not notice this within 24 hours?

There are many seniors still working and using computers on a daily basis.

You can write to Expedia. You may not get much back in travel credits— or were these Basic Economy fares ie use it or lose it.
One way to avoid stuff like this is to withhold credit card info until you're actually ready to commit. Yes, it's convenient to have the info stored on the vendor's site, but

Was your credit card info stored on the vendor's site? While it's a convenience, there's always the danger of accidental purchase. Having to actually input the info is an important step in avoiding such errors. And (forgive me) unless the seniors have Alzheimer's, advancing age is not an excuse.

Sep 19, 2015
FYI - Delta refunded the entire charge on our tickets when my husband called. Took about a half hour but they were very nice to do so. Now we are going after Allianz Travel for an insurance refund.
Is the insurance for the wrong ticket? The insurance company may not be as forgiving as Delta, but it is worth a try.

Airlines often cancel impossible tickets -- if I book New York to Chicago r/t 3/1-3/5 and the same 3/2 - 3/5 one may be canceled as it is not possible to do both -- this may be why Delta was willing to cancel.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
No “executive” in this case. Just a customer service rep and manager.
Well done! I'd been a United FF since Gordon Bethune ran Continental, but let my status go last year and am playing the field. I took a cross-country connecting flight on Delta yesterday and I couldn't believe how NICE everyone was at Delta. And I mean everyone, from the tix agents to the crew. I wasn't overjoyed at the leg room in biz, but the crew more than made up for it. And I really like being able to upgrade a coach tix with my miles using the DL AmEx.

Feb 6, 2019
Is the insurance for the wrong ticket? The insurance company may not be as forgiving as Delta, but it is worth a try.

Airlines often cancel impossible tickets -- if I book New York to Chicago r/t 3/1-3/5 and the same 3/2 - 3/5 one may be canceled as it is not possible to do both -- this may be why Delta was willing to cancel.
Most didn’t seem to think there was anything that could be done including cancelling the tickets. Totally depends on who you talk to.

Sep 19, 2015
Most didn’t seem to think there was anything that could be done including cancelling the tickets. Totally depends on who you talk to.
You previously had not been allowed to cancel so the reaction of people here is not surprising -- in fact you came here saying no one would help you -- not expedia, Delta or travel insurance.

The likely reason you were allowed is because Delta will cancel multiple bookings -- Delta prohibits duplicate bookings -- from their policy for travel providers:

All duplicate bookings generated by a single GDS subscriber are prohibited, including:
  • Multiple itineraries for any number of passengers with the same passenger name, whether identical itineraries or not
  • Reserving one or more seats on the same flight or different flights for the same time frame, regardless of the class of service or format used to make the reservation
Additionally, creating a reservation where it is logically impossible to be used on each segment created across one or more PNRs or GDSs is not permitted

and

Multiple bookings of a fictitious nature are prohibited by DL. In the event DL determines that an individual has confirmed such bookings to one or more destination(s) on or about the same date(s), the carrier reserves the right to cancel all confirmed space associated with the multiple reservations without notice to the passenger or the person making the booking

One cannot always expect exceptions for errors of their own doing. Gratitiude and humility would have been an appropriate reaction rather than calling people out.

Feb 6, 2019
You previously had not been allowed to cancel so the reaction of people here is not surprising -- in fact you came here saying no one would help you -- not expedia, Delta or travel insurance.

The likely reason you were allowed is because Delta will cancel multiple bookings -- Delta prohibits duplicate bookings -- from their policy for travel providers:

All duplicate bookings generated by a single GDS subscriber are prohibited, including:
  • Multiple itineraries for any number of passengers with the same passenger name, whether identical itineraries or not
  • Reserving one or more seats on the same flight or different flights for the same time frame, regardless of the class of service or format used to make the reservation
Additionally, creating a reservation where it is logically impossible to be used on each segment created across one or more PNRs or GDSs is not permitted

and

Multiple bookings of a fictitious nature are prohibited by DL. In the event DL determines that an individual has confirmed such bookings to one or more destination(s) on or about the same date(s), the carrier reserves the right to cancel all confirmed space associated with the multiple reservations without notice to the passenger or the person making the booking

One cannot always expect exceptions for errors of their own doing. Gratitiude and humility would have been an appropriate reaction rather than calling people out.
Gratitude and humility to whom? Calling people out? If you were wrong you should be corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.