Don't cruise if medicare is your only health insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 15, 2018
I was told that if medicare is your primary health insurance, you won't be covered if you are more that 6 hours outside our border. I have secondary insurance. It is Indecs of Orange county, ny. I have emailed them to see if they cover me? So far, no response. If they say no, what are my options. Thanks.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@tenniseleven If it was me, I'd buy a travel insurance policy with medical benefits. I'm not covered by Medicare but I always purchase a policy that had primary health insurance benefits in addition to all of the travel benefits.

To coin the old phrase "Don't leave home without it"

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
If you are travelling outside of the US and a US resident (I'm stating the obvious) then Medicare generally will not cover you. There are some Medicare add-ons/policies (I don't know the lingo) that do cover outside the US but that is based on the insurer. You should purchase travel insurance that includes health insurance as primary to make sure you are covered if you are in an accident outside of the covered territory.