Don't buy a Dell computer

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 31, 2019
Bought
a new Dell computer 90 days ago. Warranty expires 05/2020. Wireless card failed
a few days ago. Spoke to Dell support 4 times with no success. Support staff
speaks with such a heavy accent anyone can't understand. Now they want me to
either open up the computer myself or ship back to Dell. Estimated repair time
14 days. I use this computer to earn my living every business day from 4 AM to 5
PM (PST). I can't afford to be without my computer for even a couple of days.
Also, they have asked me to indemnify them for any parts they need for repairs.
This computer contains all my business and personal financial and legal
information which is substantial and highly confidential. They want to possibly
format my hard drives which (if replaceable at all) would take me at least 40
hours work. This is not a commercially reasonable warranty.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Bought
a new Dell computer 90 days ago. Warranty expires 05/2020. Wireless card failed
a few days ago. Spoke to Dell support 4 times with no success. Support staff
speaks with such a heavy accent anyone can't understand. Now they want me to
either open up the computer myself or ship back to Dell. Estimated repair time
14 days. I use this computer to earn my living every business day from 4 AM to 5
PM (PST). I can't afford to be without my computer for even a couple of days.
Also, they have asked me to indemnify them for any parts they need for repairs.
This computer contains all my business and personal financial and legal
information which is substantial and highly confidential. They want to possibly
format my hard drives which (if replaceable at all) would take me at least 40
hours work. This is not a commercially reasonable warranty.
You can escalate this to Dell contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/dell/

However, if this computer is so crucial to your work, you need a second identical computer backing up your first.
You also need to back up your work daily to a USB connected external hard drive and to the cloud (Dropbox or similar). You can use software to mirror your hard drive.

Regardless of Dell's issues any computer can/will fail and may need to be sent for repair.

Jun 24, 2019
Replacing the part yourself may not be all that difficult if Dell will send you the part. If you are uncomfortable with that, there are local repair options. Even if you have to pay out of pocket for what should be a covered repair, you will not run the risk of losing your data, or at least the risk is lessened.

I concur with cloud storage, which has been invaluable to us.

Having dealt with Dell's overseas customer service, the best I can say is that it is no worse than any other such service. And having in-home service from Dell was also worthless. In my case, Costco refunded the price in full and let me keep the defective computer concluding that Dell had breached. Costco then charged that back to Dell. That finally led to a call from Round Rock, where Dell admitted that in home service was never going to solve my problem. (It was a design defect, which Dell has since corrected.)

Mar 14, 2018
Dell's business class computers include a warranty that repairs your hardware at your site.

I assume you purchased a home-class computer, which only includes mail-in service. However, Dell does offer premium support packages for these computers that provide on-site repairs.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you, smd. I'm sitting here wondering what on earth I'd do if a new laptop flipped its lid. Today with technology, I guess we "takes our chances", or we pay extra for some quality. Just like the airlines, if you don't want to fly like a sardine, you pay extra for some room. I surely don't see things getting any better.

Mar 14, 2018
On site service is expensive, so Dell offers a lower price to users whose computers aren't mission critical.

In many ways, this is just like travel insurance. You can take on the risk yourself, or you can pay someone else to take it for you. But you can't take on the risk and then complain when you get unlucky.

Jun 24, 2019
Dell sells in home service on home computers. As we learned, that does not extend to problems Dell can't fix. Then Dell is flummoxed. The overseas folks are out of ideas and the service people just replace parts.

Jan 11, 2019
Dell use to be pretty decent back 10 years ago. I bought at least 6 desktops and laptops. Installing replacement parts is pretty simple most of the time. They will walk you through it. Or at least they use to. My oldest son use to be a troubleshooter for Dell techs on site and you wouldn't believe the number of people who don't know what a browser is, etc.
Anyway, go buy a wifi adapter from Walmart for $11 and plug it in, problem solved. Plus, you can Google how to install anything. I replaced my keyboard in my laptop after my son broke some of my keys and I'm no tech genius.
But yes, I agree, I will no longer buy a Dell. They went downhill with reliability and service.