Doesn’t "Reservation Confirmed" mean just that?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Sep 1, 2015
I apologize if this should be in the "car rental" area but my issue is with the GateGuru app so I thought it fit here. To the issue.

I tried the car rental booking on the GateGuru app and got a good deal on a car. I thought. Here is the whole story in short form.
· A couple of months ago I used GateGuru and get this on my iPhone. Notice the currency is Swedish kronor:
dg77zc.jpg

· On Wed, 24 June I get this in my email. Notice the currency is now American dollar but the amount is the same:
a4osc0.jpg

· I send an email 30 June, 13 July and 22 July pointing this out and get no response.
· I find an email through Elliott.org website to Barbara Messing at TripAdvisor, the new owner of GateGuru, and send an email to her and GateGuru.
· Now I get a reply from Daniel Gellert Mon, 27 July. They don’t understand the problem I have.
· I send email 28 July explaining in detail that when you change currency you also need to convert the amount not just change the currency sign.
· 29 July I get answer from Dan at GateGuru “Let us take a look. We will be back in touch soon. “
· Two weeks nothing. I send email 12, Aug asking what’s going on.
· Two more weeks nothing. I send new email 27, Aug to Barbara Messing and GateGuru asking what’s going on.
· 27, Aug I receive email from Zachary Einig at GateGuru stating something about a bug in their app and telling me to change my phone settings to US and try again. I don’t want to try again. I want the car I got with the confirmation "Reservation Confirmed" on my phone. Mr. Einig also tries to say that the email confirmation comes from Avis and that GateGuru cannot help me with this.I don't buy this because the first confirmation I received as you can see above appears to come from GateGuru including this line:
“If you have any questions or problems, please email us at support@gateguruapp.com. Safe Travels!

Needless to say that I don’t believe Mr. Einig on this point. The thing is that the car deal is good. About half the price of the other companies with about the same criteria.
If GateGuru means that the almost $2950 price is correct it would be about four times more expensive than the other companies. I feel that they should thank me for pointing out this bug and give me the car deal that was confirmed. We are talking around $300 - $350. Not that much for a big company but quite a bit for my budget.
I would like to know, when an app says “Reservation Confirmed” with a reservation number, is it not binding? Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

B

bodega3

Prices for cars go up and down many times a day. I am finding Avis to be that high right now. with all the taxes and surcharges. DO NOT prepay any rate at this time. This rate could drop considerably and so you should check it daily and rebook at needed. Book with Avis, or use AutoEurope if you can.

Sep 1, 2015
Prices for cars go up and down many times a day. I am finding Avis to be that high right now. with all the taxes and surcharges. DO NOT prepay any rate at this time. This rate could drop considerably and so you should check it daily and rebook at needed. Book with Avis, or use AutoEurope if you can.

Thanks for the input but my issue is how GateGuru is handling this and whether or not they need to honor the reservation I "have".

For purposes of beginning a conversation I just looked on Priceline for a Standard SUV for the rental period mentioned. Avis came in at $3,315. and the least expensive was Dollar at $1,165.

The "Standard Elite" SUV on the Avis site was $1,728.66.

Clearly someone made a mistake in designating the currency, but was it GateGuru or Avis? Given the stonewalling by GateGuru and the prices I found above, I'm leaning toward the Online Travel Agent's having made the mistake.

Should they honor the reservation and eat the excess? Absolutely.

Will they do the right thing and honor the reservation? I'm not hopeful. I'd have to see the fine print regarding GateGuru's reservation policies and what responsibility they take for errors. My guess is that they disavow any liability.

Fortunately you have plenty of time to keep shopping around before your vacation. As you can see, the actual Avis site is showing a better price than the online site so you might want to keep trying all the companies directly. You might stumble onto something good, even though your rental is for peak Orlando vacation times.

Good luck.

Reactions: jsn55 and bodega3
B

bodega3

I haven't a clue what Gate Guru is and if Avis is telling you the rate, that is what it is. It even states it on your confirmation.

You are booking a high price type of car during high season in Florida. Watch rates and rebook as needed. Unless you absolutely need an SUV, go with a smaller type of car. You will save hundreds of dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2015
So I'm getting the impression that people feel it is ok for a company to "Confirm" a price and then back out on it when they realize that they gave away a good deal? That is NOT ok from my point of view. As for prices an average SUV for that time through Auto Europe (can be found on Elliott.org) is $711 right now.
n1xu8o.jpg

B

bodega3

Then rebook it on the site that is giving your the rate you like better. There is a glitch in the first site on the currency issue, but according to my GDS with live rates with Avis, the high price you are getting confirmed is what I am finding, too.

Mar 17, 2015
I actually don't think it is ok for the company to do this. I think that getting a rental SUV for 22 days for just about $350 is too good to be true, maybe this rate exists out there though. I really don't rent cars often enough to know, just from the times I have rented, that is closer to a weeks rate than 3 weeks, and that is generally on a sedan, not a SUV.

But, since you did have the confirmed rate, I do think that GateGuru should honor it. At the $350 rate. I don't think you should have to pay the 2,900 USD to get the car you believed you reserved for $350. However, to mitigate your losses, if you have written your way up both GateGuru and Avis's chain of command, then I would book at the $700 rate. You could technically go ahead and reserve the vehicle at the 2x the price while continuing to write and watch, maybe the fares will go down?

Reactions: AAGK
B

bodega3

But the confirmation came back from AVIS at the rate showing on the Swedish site. So there is a glitch as the AVIS rate is what I found through AVIS for MCO on these dates....not taking into consideration any qualified discounted programs.

But at this point, that price is high, as expected and will probably drop. Book through the car company directly and rebook as the rate drops. I do this all the time. I dropped by minivan rate from well over $1,000 to under $300 and just did this with another car last week by rebooking and getting a rate that was 1/2 of what I had at that time currently held.

Now if AVIS hadn't come back with the US rate, then I think you would have a real issue. Don't get worked up on this. Watch and rebook.

No one is saying that it's OK for a company to change a "confirmed" reservation. We're just trying to be realistic. Make your best deal elsewhere and move on. You've steered a lot of people away from GateGuru and that should provide you with a certain amount of satisfaction. Have fun in Orlando!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
SwedishEagle, my well-travelled colleagues are giving you good advice. You can argue all day long about what's right or wrong, but in the end you want to be able to pick up the vehicle you want when you arrive.

Glitches on the internet are constant and nobody ever knows why ... or is willing to honor a confirmation hampered by a glitch.

Watch the rates and book a good deal when you find it. I would suggest booking directly through the car rental company; use your computer so you can save the info on your hard drive.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am betting there is some fine print somewhere in gategurus website weaseling them out of errors like this. They should stick to airline gates and get out of the car rental business.

Are you located in Switzerland, since you seem to be using the Swedish site?

Sep 8, 2014
Boston
If the OP lives in Sweden and received the confirmation shown he should definitely continue to pursue TripAdivisor and insist that they honor the rate confirmed by a company that they own. If all else fails he can still get a decent rate from Auto Europe.

B

bodega3

If the OP lives in Sweden and received the confirmation shown he should definitely continue to pursue TripAdivisor and insist that they honor the rate confirmed by a company that they own. If all else fails he can still get a decent rate from Auto Europe.
His confirmation shows two amounts. The car company that he is booked with is the one he will have to pay. BTW, if he isn't booking on a US site, he doesn't have US consumer protection rights.

Reactions: Neil Maley
Sep 8, 2014
Boston
[Q
You are of course correct as to whom he will pay and the fact that he may not have US consumer protection rights, although that may be open to question if the company is US owned.. I'm simply saying that TripAdvisor should make up the difference between what GateGuru confirmed and what Avis would charge.

B

bodega3

[Q

You are of course correct as to whom he will pay and the fact that he may not have US consumer protection rights, although that may be open to question if the company is US owned.. I'm simply saying that TripAdvisor should make up the difference between what GateGuru confirmed and what Avis would charge.
Not sure that should is correct. It depends on if this was a glitch, which is appears to me to be. I haven't a clue to that gateguru is, how TripAdvisor is involved, but if you have two companies you are dealing with before you even get to your car company, you can have issues.

B

bodega3

I have tried to find the Swedish site to check on this and all I get is the US site.

Sep 8, 2014
Boston
Not sure that should is correct. It depends on if this was a glitch, which is appears to me to be. I haven't a clue to that gateguru is, how TripAdvisor is involved, but if you have two companies you are dealing with before you even get to your car company, you can have issues.
I does appear to be a glitch. I have no idea what GateGuru is either, and am going by the word of the OP that it is owned by TripAdvisor, so it is now one company, not two.