Does United Refund Request Really Work??

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 8, 2016
I recently purchased a ticket through Priceline and have been trying to be refunded my money. Me and my friends all purchased roundtrip tickets on 11/29/16. A week later I was able to find JetBlue RT tickets for a third of the price. We all bought those tickets because they were drastically cheaper. We figured that because we had purchased the travel insurance on our original flights we would be able to cancel our flights and be refunded. Little did we know that in order to do this you need to basically be dying. I didn't know at the time but my friends booked their flights directly with United, they were able to use the 30 min itinerary change to their advantage and make a huge fuss over it and get fully refunded. I attempted to do the same and was told a million times that because my flight was booked with PL that they weren't able to do anything because " they do not have my money PL does". I called PL and they told me to call UA because they are the ones who can authorize refunds. Basically I had been playing telephone and calling PL and UA all day to get nowhere.

Finally, a supervisor at PL tells me that he will call a supervisor at UA to try to get authorization to refund. He submitted a Refund Request to United and told me that I should be able to get a refund after waiting for it to be processed which can take 7-10 business days. If this is a request I'm assuming that it can be denied. Is this Refund Request likely to work in my favor? Who really has my money at this point?

I really need a refund and am bummed that all my friends were able to get refunds and pay a third of the price, because "I" found the deal and now I'm stuck with an extra ticket that I don't want. Please Help

Feb 9, 2016
Priceline has your money. Moving forward start writing down ALL names, times, dates, etc when you speak to people. If someone at US says you are etitled to a refund, you need that info for Priceline. If Priceline stonewalls you, you will need that info, and the UA info, for your correspondence with Priceline.

Stick to the story that a 30 minute change in schedule would completely disrupt your travel plans. It's really the only way you have a chance. You have additional ammo since your friends were able to get a refund. Obviously UA's terms and conditions allow for this.

You can use our company contacts and start writing a succinct and pleasant letter to priceline explaining that the schedule change would disrupt your travel plans and you need a refund. Start with customer service. Stick to asking for a refund because priceline is going to try to get you to take a credit to rebook. Include in the letter that you have spoken to UA (include specific dates, times and names if you have them) and they agreed that you are entitled to a refund. DO NOT forget to always compliment priceline and/or united, depending on whom you are writing. With situations like these, you absolutely catch more flies with honey.

I think you should wait on writing anyone until you get notification from priceline as to what their determination is. You may not need to write at all.

Educate yourself on Uniteds policy's. Remember - when speaking with people (priceline or united) write down all names, dates, times and what was said, and remember that all you need say is simply "I looked into alternative flights and I didnt find any that would work for me" You don't need to elaborate - your personal business is your personal business.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/help/schedule-change.aspx

Rebooking options if a schedule change has affected your itinerary
If your scheduled departure or arrival time changes by 30 minutes or more, we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs. Please keep the following in mind when you call:

• Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
  • If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
  • Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express® partners.
If we aren't able to find any other flights that meet your needs, requesting a refund may be an option. See the section below for more information.

Nov 14, 2016
Lauren,

You purchased your tickets through Priceline. You have to get your refund from them and you can use the corporate contacts to escalate (start at customer care, wait a week, escalate to the first contact, wait a week, etc.). They will have to pursue a refund from United. Most likely you will be able to get a refund if you are persistent, clear, courteous and keep everything in writing. The flight schedule change should be enough to be able to get a refund.

In the future you may want to buy directly from the airline or use a local, customer-service driven Travel Agent. Online Travel Agents like Priceline have terrible reputations around here because their customer service and refund policies are often far worse/more restrictive than when you just deal with the airline directly. Always use a good Travel Agent when making complex itineraries however!

R

Realitoes

Who has your money is not really relevant to the situation and is being used to get you off the phone. If you want to really know who has your funds, look at your credit card statement (about 95 percent of the time the charge will be directly from the airline).

The reason it is irrelevant is that you booked your ticket through Priceline, so the airline is going to require Priceline to process any request for refund. United provides guidelines for these agencies as how to handle these situations; in the case of schedule change, it must be more than +/- 2 hours for a refund. +/- 30 minutes allows you to make an adjustment to an alternate flight, if available.

This doesn't mean you can't get a refund, but Priceline would have to request an exception/waiver to refund the ticket from United. Priceline is not required to request this, nor is United required to provide the waiver. All you can do is write Priceline a polite email requesting consideration using the contacts provided by this site.

You may want to consider in the future of booking directly with the airline - and cutting out the middle man.

Dec 8, 2016
Thank you all for your help . Priceline already contacted the supervisor for United and has processed a Refund Request. I just noticed that this was something that I could've done online myself. I noticed that in other threads people didnt have much luck with this request process. However, Priceline reassured me that this is part of their protocol in order to do a refund and that I should get it. I guess I have to be patient and wait the 7-10 business days for it to be processed and see what happens. I will keep you all updated. I know to just try and book directly through the flight next time to save myself the drama.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It doesn't work because you bought non refundable tickets which are just that and you did not read the travel insurance before you canceled to see what reason are co were for canceling. You don't have to be near death but you have to be sick enough that a doctors tells you that you can't travel.

Read this post this is all
You can do:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/refunds-for-non-refundable-tickets.3304/

May 17, 2016
Who has your money is not really relevant to the situation and is being used to get you off the phone. If you want to really know who has your funds, look at your credit card statement (about 95 percent of the time the charge will be directly from the airline).

The reason it is irrelevant is that you booked your ticket through Priceline, so the airline is going to require Priceline to process any request for refund. United provides guidelines for these agencies as how to handle these situations; in the case of schedule change, it must be more than +/- 2 hours for a refund. +/- 30 minutes allows you to make an adjustment to an alternate flight, if available.

This doesn't mean you can't get a refund, but Priceline would have to request an exception/waiver to refund the ticket from United. Priceline is not required to request this, nor is United required to provide the waiver. All you can do is write Priceline a polite email requesting consideration using the contacts provided by this site.

You may want to consider in the future of booking directly with the airline - and cutting out the middle man.
The last line says it all.