Dissapointed

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 30, 2019
I am so dissapointed to this airlines how come they charge me so expensive for cancellation of my tickect because you can't change my name to my full name.so upset i never recommends this airlines so currup I thought you guys can fix my concern but instead of fixing you charge me so expensive for my cancellation. A very currup airline you just want money didnt care the people concern or needs :(

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What airline?

Unfortunately when you book your own ticket you are responsible for inputting your name exactky as your passport reads. Why didn’t you do that?

In the US you also had 24 hours from the time you booked to correct the name at no charge. If you didn’t do that - that’s why you are paying such a high fee and any increase in the cost of the ticket. Are you located in the US?

The airline is not corrupt- if you book your own tickets you need to book them properly. You might want to use a travel agent in the future.

Mar 30, 2019
China airlines they charge me 600$ for my cancellation bcoz they can't change my name to my full name.its unreasonable
I was call the airlines to change it before 24hours but they can't do nothing they just charge me so expensive 600$ almost the same price of the ticket

Mar 30, 2019
The 24 hour rule only applies in the US. Are you located in the US?

Why didn’t you book the tickets in the full name when you bought them?
I was just in hurry to booked the ticket because i know some people will grab it bcoz its a cheap price like what i did i choose it bcoz its a cheap price.and i thought I put my full name after I booked the tickect i notice that only my nick name and last name I put.so I call the China airlines before 24hours but only the advice me is to cancel and charge me expensive almost same price the ticket.if my situation happen to you will you be happy?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
From their website:

In order to comply with Air Security rules , passenger name must be identical with the name on the passport. Please refer following name change policy for China Airlines and Mandarin Airlines operated flight(s), First name modification (not issued ticket yet) :First-name change is allowed up to 3 letters and for once only, otherwise please create a new booking record. First name modification (ticket issued) : create a new booking record with correct name and subject seat availability. Please re-issued ticket if first name modification within 3-letters (including 3) ,otherwise please refund origin ticket and issue a new one. Last name modification (regardless ticket issued or not) :please create a new booking and subject seat availability . If ticketed , please refund the original ticket and issue a new one . Please contact China Airlines Ticketing office for name modification, service charge will be applied for reissue and refund ticket. If your ticket is bought from travel agency, please contact them for name modification.

They are actually generous with allowing a correction of up to three letters.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I was just in hurry to booked the ticket because i know some people will grab it bcoz its a cheap price like what i did i choose it bcoz its a cheap price.and i thought I put my full name after I booked the tickect i notice that only my nick name and last name I put.so I call the China airlines before 24hours but only the advice me is to cancel and charge me expensive almost same price the ticket.if my situation happen to you will you be happy?
The 24 hour rule does not apply if you are outside the US. Do you live in the US? If you don’t, you don’t have the grace period.

When you book your own tickets you must adhere to the the rules of booking properly. Every airline requires you to book your tickets exactly as your passport reads. Rushing to grab a price doesn’t work when you don’t follow the airlines instructions that are right on the screen.

We have company contacts on top of our page. You can try writing to the airline and asking for an exemption to the policy. Do not blame them and say they are price gouging since this was solely your error. The fees are high to try to get every one to book correctly from the beginning so they don’t have to correct a ticket.

Was the $600 all cancellation fees or was there also a price difference as well?

Mar 14, 2018
The 24 hour rule does not apply if you are outside the US. Do you live in the US? If you don’t, you don’t have the grace period.
It actually doesn't matter where you live. It applies to ticket purchases on all US carriers as well as to flights on foreign carriers to or from the US.

Kwin, was the flight you booked on China Air either to or from the US?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am confused because the ISP you are using says you are in the Phillipines. Three last questions -
did you buy the ticket directly from China Air or did you use a travel agency? Where were you flying to/from? What date did you buy the ticket and what date was your flight?

If you bought directly from China Air and the flight was more then 7 days from the date you bought the ticket, China Air has an even more generous policy- they give you 48 hours to cancel:

Free Reservation Cancellation Within 48 Hours of Ticket Purchase
For tickets to/from USA, a full refund will be given if the refund request is submitted within 48 hours of ticket purchase and the ticket is completely unused and was booked one week or more prior to the flight departure. For tickets from Korea, a full refund without handling charges will be given if the refund request is submitted within 7 days after purchase and 10 days or more prior to the flight departure. All these applicable tickets shall be purchased through CAL website. You shouldn’t be charged a cancellation fee.

However, if the price had gone up on the ticket from the time you booked it to the time you rebooked it correctly, you have to pay the difference in the ticket price. Were you actually charged a cancelation fee or was any of this due to the ticket price changing? How much was the fare for the original ticket and how much was the fare for the new ticket?

Here is what your letter should say when you write if the $600 was all cancellation fees:

To Whom It May Concern:

Regarding reservation number xxxxxxxx (insert reservation number)

- On xx/xx/2019 I purchased the above ticket on China Airs website. The flight was scheduled to leave xx/xx/2019 from xxxxx to xxxxx. The ticket cost $xxxx
- on xx/xx/2019 I realized I erred on my name and called China Air at xx:XX to cancel and rebook the ticket. I was charged a $600 cancellation fee.
-According to US DOT rules, I had 24 hours to cancel at no charge and China Airs policy is even more generous offering a 48 hour cancellation, yet I was charged the fee.
- I respectfully request a refund of the $600 cancellation fee

Please advise when I can expect this refund.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Kwin, after you compose your letter to ChinaAir, please post it here so we can review it before you send it to them. I believe that you are due a refund, but the wording of your letter will be very important. We will be happy to review your letter.