Disputing damage on the car roof with National Car Rentals

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 27, 2019
I rented a car from National 6 months back at the SFO airport and when I returned it, they said there was dings on the roof and they sent me an invoice for $450 for repairs. I rented it for business and I am confident that I did not such thing to the roof.I am a regular renter with National as I travel a lot. Its highly unlikely that one checks the roof since sometimes you get trucks and no one can check those high roofs for damage. Besides I checked the body of the car and there was no damage to be reported there. I suspect the damage was already present because as soon as I pulled in to return the car, the representative jumped to check the roof before anything else as if he already knew about the damage.This has never happened before. I have rented so many times and I have never been harassed this way. Also no agent/rep has acted so weirdly and checked the roof first for signs of damage.

I would like to dispute the charge. I don't mind paying the amount if I am responsible for the damages but I don't want to give away my hard earned money for false charges. For starters I fail to understand how would the rental company know for sure that this damage did not occur prior to my renting? Lets say the damage occurred 3 or 4 rentals back and they never caught it, then that would mean that I am being taken advantage of. I have already disputed the charges and they came back saying they didn't find any reports of damage before. But how can they be sure that their agents performed those checks before? As I said, my mistake was that I didn't check the roof but again that's not an area that you would check under regular circumstances. As I said, the agent checking the roof first thing when I returned the car is very suspicious.

Please help.

Feb 27, 2019
Thanks Neil. I went through the thread and I have already disputed the charges. Can you help me with the next steps? I firmly believe the damage wasnt done by me and I would challenge them further on this.