Disney Cruise Line Magic

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 17, 2018
Tue 1/16, 1:51 PM
dcl.guest.communications@disneycruise.com
I am Mary Walters, Platinum member, 85 years old.
I apologize for sending this to you, but I never get a reply from any source. This is very important to me.
Re: DCL Magic - 5 day New York, Antigua, Puerto Rico. November 26 to December 1, 2017.
Reservation #xxxxxxx
We had a wonderful time aboard, enjoyed ourselves, until Friday night, November 30th.
At 10:45 we went to Fantoms to see a game show called 80's Flashback, hosted by Darrell and his assistant, whose name I did not get.
It was a fun game, a lot of laughter. The room was divided in two and we competed for points. We did a conga line, a tunnel, the Rockettes kicks and more.
Now at some point while seated, the assistant came to me and asked it I would give Darrell a lap dance. I said NO, he asked again and I said no, I will not.
We played a game or two, then the assistant came running (I was in an aisle seat), grabbed my hand and pulled me onstage and led me to Darrell and Darrell sat down. I looked at him and said "I am not going to do it" twice. He got up put his arm around my shoulder and told the audience I was special and then said "tell them your age" I did, audience applauded. I left the stage. By the way, someone from the other group did give Darrell his lap dance. I did not see it, but others in my group told me about it.
I was upset, and am writing because it still bothers me. I did not participate because I will not compromise my integrity and self respect.
I later thought that perhaps I was going to be the joke of the day. People laughing about the old lady trying to give someone a lap dance.
I have told others about this and they seem to think sexual harassment and have given me advice.
Is Disney now going the Carnival way?

Two
Dear Mary,
Thank you for contacting Disney Cruise Line.
I am very sorry for your disappointing experience while on your recent cruise on the Disney Magic. Your feedback is very important to us and we truly appreciate that you took the time to send us your comments. It is through feedback, like yours, that we learn what we must do to ensure the Disney magic is preserved for everyone.
I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments. Unfortunately, I have been unable to reach you by telephone at (xxx) xxx-xxxx. I am available Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. EST at (407) 566-3626. You may also provide me with your telephone number and the best time to call as a reply to this message. I am happy to contact you.
Once again, Mary, thank you for your honest and constructive feedback. I look forward to speaking with you at your earliest convenience.
Kindest regards,
Susan Mack
Executive Guest Correspondent
Disney Cruise Line

Three
For Susan Mack
Reply |
Sun 1/21, 3:24 PM
Disney Cruise Line (dcl.guest.communications@disneycruise.com)
Regarding our conversation the other day. There was something that bothered me. In your email your wrote - I would like the opportunity to discuss your comments - . You really did not want to discuss any comments, it was just to say you were so sorry to hear this.
You said that "Darrrell did not mean any harm. Physical harm was not a consideration, but this could very well be sexual harassment. This was not part of a group game, everyone was sitting and watching a joke being played and an old lady being made fun of.
I told a few people about this call. They all agree it was just to get me off your backs. Suggestions were made. Go public was one suggestion. Trip Advisor, Cruise Critic and all the social media.
FOUR
January 22, 9:31 am
Received a phone call from Susan Mack
Guess she finally was able to reach me.
She did not realize that her words were fluff. They did speak to Darrin.
Then she asked this – what can we do for you - My answer was – Only God Knows.
I said goodbye and hung up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 17, 2018
What would you like help for?
I would like Disney to take responsibility for their employees actions. A lap dance is what in my day was called "dry sex" and this is really sexual harassment. Also, after telling the assistant no, several times, he actually grabbed my arm or hand (element of surprise) and ran me to the stage. This is against my will.
Part of my age is arthritis and I was lucky that my knee did no give way.

Jan 6, 2015
This was completely avoidable (on their part), and I support your anger and frustration. Your response is difficult, for me at least, to understand:
  • You give no indication that you spoke to anyone at Guest Services while still on the ship. That should always be the first stop - to give them a chance to address issues then and there.
  • When you contacted DCL, you intimated a possibility of shaming them on social media. That will not work in your favor, and will not win them over to your side.
  • When contacted by phone and asked "What Can We Do for You?", you were not prepared to articulate a resolution.
I suggest you return Susan Mack's call and describe (calmly if you can) what you wish them to do. Policy change? Discipline for Darrell? A partial refund? Certainly each of those is in play, in my opinion. Otherwise, DCL is left to wonder why you brought this to their attention ...

Feb 17, 2018
This was completely avoidable (on their part), and I support your anger and frustration. Your response is difficult, for me at least, to understand:
  • You give no indication that you spoke to anyone at Guest Services while still on the ship. That should always be the first stop - to give them a chance to address issues then and there.
  • When you contacted DCL, you intimated a possibility of shaming them on social media. That will not work in your favor, and will not win them over to your side.
  • When contacted by phone and asked "What Can We Do for You?", you were not prepared to articulate a resolution.
I suggest you return Susan Mack's call and describe (calmly if you can) what you wish them to do. Policy change? Discipline for Darrell? A partial refund? Certainly each of those is in play, in my opinion. Otherwise, DCL is left to wonder why you brought this to their attention ...

Feb 17, 2018
1 - Reason I did not speak to guest services - Looking back I would say I was in shock. It was the last night aboard ship. Suitcases had to be outside the door. Everything was being done in a rush.

I stopped at desk services, however the line was extremely long and we had to leave for the airport.

2 - That was frustration, I now realize it was a dumb idea. I did not post anything on social media.

3. - My answer on the phone was the first thing that came into my mind.

I am still haunted by that experience, especially when I wake up at night.

I do not want to contact Susan Mack. Her job is actually to smooth over any problems. It is uncaring. However I do want Disney to take responsibility.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

I have to agree with VoR - when they have these shows late at night,they usually advertise them as adults only shows - was there a warning in the daily newspaper that this was for folks 18 or 21 or over? My opinion is you should ask for them to advise the employees on the ship that when a guest says no - it means no - and you shouldn't have been pulled up onstage at all.

I am willing to bet that the audience loved your participation even without the lap dance - you stood by your word and made THEM look bad for trying to get you to change your mind.

I would call Susan Mack back and tell them what you want. Not sure that a partial refund is in order - it was maybe 10 minutes out of your cruise. But you should definitely ask them to make a policy change on this.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
1 - Reason I did not speak to guest services - Looking back I would say I was in shock. It was the last night aboard ship. Suitcases had to be outside the door. Everything was being done in a rush.

I stopped at desk services, however the line was extremely long and we had to leave for the airport.

2 - That was frustration, I now realize it was a dumb idea. I did not post anything on social media.

3. - My answer on the phone was the first thing that came into my mind.

I am still haunted by that experience, especially when I wake up at night.

I do not want to contact Susan Mack. Her job is actually to smooth over any problems. It is uncaring. However I do want Disney to take responsibility.
But what do you want them to do? What is your desired resolution? The thing you might want to ask for is to have them make sure this doesn't happen again so they should speak to the Cruise Director. And Susan can make that happen but you need to tell her that.

Jan 6, 2015
"I do not want to contact Susan Mack. Her job is actually to smooth over any problems. It is uncaring. However I do want Disney to take responsibility."
Respectfully, this has not been my experience in matters like this, at least not before hearing the full content of the recipient's thoughts. And in every case where that person was genuinely concerned, I was asked what I wanted them to do. I interpret that as genuine concern unless I know that person well.

And I see in Susan's communications that same respect. I suspect your anger, which is completely understandable, is keeping you from composing a desired resolution.

Please don't wait too long to respond to her. As time passes, a satisfactory resolution slips further away ...

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
escline, we have company contacts for the cruise line. Perhaps you want to escalate it there if you haven't been in touch with them.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/disney-cruise-line/

Start with Anthony Connelly but please tell him exactly what you want them to do about the situation. Talking directly to the Cruise Director would be the way to go to ensure he doesn't do it again. The Cruise Director is in charge of the entertainment staff.

Feb 17, 2018
I have to agree with VoR - when they have these shows late at night,they usually advertise them as adults only shows - was there a warning in the daily newspaper that this was for folks 18 or 21 or over? My opinion is you should ask for them to advise the employees on the ship that when a guest says no - it means no - and you shouldn't have been pulled up onstage at all.

I am willing to bet that the audience loved your participation even without the lap dance - you stood by your word and made THEM look bad for trying to get you to change your mind.

I would call Susan Mack back and tell them what you want. Not sure that a partial refund is in order - it was maybe 10 minutes out of your cruise. But you should definitely ask them to make a policy change on this.

Feb 17, 2018
I have been on cruises since the early 80's and number about 40+. I understand the rules for adults after 9, and this is mainly for keeping the young ones out so adults can enjoy the entertainment. Holland American, Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian, Delta Queen Steamboat, Royal Caribbean and Disney. None of these had that type of entertainment. Fun yes, but not what Disney now calls adult.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have been on cruises since the early 80's and number about 40+. I understand the rules for adults after 9, and this is mainly for keeping the young ones out so adults can enjoy the entertainment. Holland American, Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian, Delta Queen Steamboat, Royal Caribbean and Disney. None of these had that type of entertainment. Fun yes, but not what Disney now calls adult.
Have you ever gone to Quest on Royal Caribbean?

Mary, have you decided to use the contacts for the cruise line itself and write to them? I really do think that this Cruise Director should be spoken to about what happened so it doesn't happen again. This is a teaching moment and is something Disney of all lines should make sure they don't repeat.

Feb 17, 2018
Reply to your last email. It has been a while since I have been on Royal Caribbean. I have not heard of Quest, but if I knew ahead I would not attend. Darrell said that his show gets wild and there were times they had to lock the doors to make sure no one else came in. As this is Disney, I said to my daughter - what are they going to do?, make fun of Goofy.

Yes I did send an email to Mr. Connelly through the address on your site.

Mar 17, 2015
I think the issue is more to do with her saying "no" and feeling uncomfortable in performing the action. The assistant should have listened to her "no" (apparently he/she has missed the news this past year). Mary, I think you need to figure out what exactly it is you want from DCL. Do you want a formal apology letter? A reasonable credit for your next cruise? Assurance that appropriate training is being relayed to all on-board personnel, whether direct DCL employees or the guest entertainers? DCL is generally pretty stingy with credits/ %'s off next cruises, but you could ask for something and see if they agree to it. Just keep it reasonable, one bad experience should not ruin the entire cruise.

DCL, contrary to the belief of some, has been pushing the boundaries for awhile. I attended a magical scavenger hunt a number of years ago on the Fantasy where one of the items was a woman's bra. Keep in mind, we had about 2 minutes to procure one, so each team had a woman get her bra off. Now, I am not 85 and found this highly amusing, but I am younger and could easily see how it could have offended my mother or grandmother. But, no one was forced to do so, we were all participating on our own volition. The hardest item to find for most teams was a sock with a hole in it. :)

Feb 17, 2018
I think the issue is more to do with her saying "no" and feeling uncomfortable in performing the action. The assistant should have listened to her "no" (apparently he/she has missed the news this past year). Mary, I think you need to figure out what exactly it is you want from DCL. Do you want a formal apology letter? A reasonable credit for your next cruise? Assurance that appropriate training is being relayed to all on-board personnel, whether direct DCL employees or the guest entertainers? DCL is generally pretty stingy with credits/ %'s off next cruises, but you could ask for something and see if they agree to it. Just keep it reasonable, one bad experience should not ruin the entire cruise.

DCL, contrary to the belief of some, has been pushing the boundaries for awhile. I attended a magical scavenger hunt a number of years ago on the Fantasy where one of the items was a woman's bra. Keep in mind, we had about 2 minutes to procure one, so each team had a woman get her bra off. Now, I am not 85 and found this highly amusing, but I am younger and could easily see how it could have offended my mother or grandmother. But, no one was forced to do so, we were all participating on our own volition. The hardest item to find for most teams was a sock with a hole in it. :)

Feb 17, 2018
All socks have a hole, that is how you put it on. Royal Caribbean started the scavenger hunt in the late 80's or early 90's. And yes they had the bra thing at that time. Sometimes a man had to wear it. It was fun and really not bothersome. You had a choice play, watch or leave. Several cruise lines also do that now. Princess had a couple of shows by the crew, could be a bit risqué. but they were funny.
What happened to me was that at all games everyone participated, except for the lap dance which would have included me. That was for everyone to watch. I became a joke to be laughed at. How about being filmed with cell phones.
And I do not care about people say it was nothing. No harm was done. A lap dance is a sex act, which has be going on for years, and please excuse this language, but back in the 40's and 50's it was called a dry f---

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@escline121 I hope that your letter reaches a kind ear so that the cruise staff and if it was the Cruise Director and his/her staff (they are employees of Disney) they need some training on sexual harassment, etc. And when a guest says no, it means no; not I'm just joking and I just wanted to be encouraged to participate.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I think the main point here was already mentioned above: when a guest says NO in a situation like this, it's NO. The cruise staff is out to create fun for the guests, but they need to recognize when to stop in certain cases. And that would be my point, if I were @escline121 ... Disney made a guest quite uncomfortable in public and that should not have happened.

@escline121 - I hope you hear from Mr Connelly. Please let us know what transpires.