Discrimination on Military discount at Lowe's Home Improvement stores

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Lowe's Home Improvement store has just without any notice and training to their associates changed their police on Military Discount.. According to their ad and propaganda, it is open to the Veteran and spouse and immediate family. According to Mr Christopher in corporate in Wilkesboro NC. It is only available to spouses that have matching last names. So its 2019 and what about same sex marriages where neither of the spouses have changes their last name. Or even marriages where the female has not changed her last name to that of her husband. As many Todays's professorial woman don't because of their own careers. I told Mr. Christopher that this is discrimination. And he said that this is the company policy. I told him that he either needs to change his ads on the TV, and radio or change the procedure. He informed me that he was the top of the cooperate ladder and that just how it going to be... I am guessing he is another closed mined person in corporate.

Feb 16, 2018
As you pointed out it appears that because the policy applies equally to same sex marriages and others with no name change it really wouldn't be discrimination to any protected group. What you may want to do is write an email to those on the list of contacts, following the suggested method, explaining the predicament you have, and see if there is a way that Lowe's can accommodate your situation.

Jan 6, 2015
As a veteran, this is near and dear to my heart. From their policy statement:

Military Discount Policy
To receive the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:​
Be currently serving in or a veteran of the US armed forces or be the immediate family member, and Enroll in the program online. Lowe's uses a trusted third party to verify eligibility status for online enrollment and may require additional documentation or proof of eligibility.​

However, to be certain I contacted customer care and verified that different last names do not matter. The family member's name is entered when the veteran registers online . . .

Feb 21, 2018
Did you have a government-issued ID demonstrating your spousal status? The retailer I worked for a few years ago offered a discount to military members and their immediate families upon presentation of a valid US DOD identification. We also accepted membership cards for the VFW and any other recognized Veteran's organizations.

As VoR61 showed above, you need to be registered in the program. Was that step completed?

Mar 18, 2019
Did you have a government-issued ID demonstrating your spousal status? The retailer I worked for a few years ago offered a discount to military members and their immediate families upon presentation of a valid US DOD identification. We also accepted membership cards for the VFW and any other recognized Veteran's organizations.

As VoR61 showed above, you need to be registered in the program. Was that step completed?
Lowes has never allowed you to use your military ID at the register to get the discount. I've been in the military for 14 years and even 14 years ago I had to register online and they verified my military status through some third party verification service that looked me up by name and birth date in an export of the DEERS database. I'm not sure whether you are the military member or the spouse, but the active duty military sponsor needs to verify that all information is correct in DEERS. Then, it might take some time before the information is exported to the third-party verification system before you'll be able to register the spouse in the Lowe's discount program.

Note that you say that the discount is option to "Veterans" and spouse and immediate family. As far as I've ever seen, the discount is only available to active duty military, their spouses and immediate family, not to veterans who have retired or separated from service.

-- SR

Mar 18, 2019
Also, since Lowes only uses your telephone number once you are registered, you could just tell your spouse to use your telephone number after you register and verify your active duty status. I'm sure that if they had any questions, your spouse's dependent ID card would be able to clarify that he/she should be eligible for the discount.

Mar 18, 2019
Sorry for the spam, it turns out I was wrong, Lowes' discount is open to persons who retired or separated in any condition besides "other than honorable", "bad conduct", or "dishonorable." Still, DEERS is the system of record that is used to verify your separation disposition so that database needs to be correct and your spouse/family needs to be properly enrolled in that database for the verification to work correctly.

Jan 6, 2015
Lowes has never allowed you to use your military ID at the register to get the discount. I've been in the military for 14 years and even 14 years ago I had to register online and they verified my military status through some third party verification service that looked me up by name and birth date in an export of the DEERS database. I'm not sure whether you are the military member or the spouse, but the active duty military sponsor needs to verify that all information is correct in DEERS. Then, it might take some time before the information is exported to the third-party verification system before you'll be able to register the spouse in the Lowe's discount program.

Note that you say that the discount is option to "Veterans" and spouse and immediate family. As far as I've ever seen, the discount is only available to active duty military, their spouses and immediate family, not to veterans who have retired or separated from service.

-- SR
My experience has been the opposite. Until 3 years ago, our Lowe's accepted my Real ID driver's license (veteran) for an immediate 10% discount. I used that regularly. Then Lowe's required online registration.

I quoted their official policy above (link included) which includes veterans, and was confirmed by customer service . . .

Yes, he is registered in the Lowe's system, he produced his paperwork and it is linked to his cell number.

As a veteran, this is near and dear to my heart. From their policy statement:

Military Discount Policy
To receive the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:​
Be currently serving in or a veteran of the US armed forces or be the immediate family member, and Enroll in the program online. Lowe's uses a trusted third party to verify eligibility status for online enrollment and may require additional documentation or proof of eligibility.​

However, to be certain I contacted customer care and verified that different last names do not matter. The family member's name is entered when the veteran registers online . . .
Trust me I have contacted customer service 4 times. They told me the same thing. The last names to not have to be the same. But unfortunately Lowe's does not cover their employee on this. And according to the memo that the local redneck Lowe's has posted, they do... If I go to a different Lowe's the situation will have a different in interpretation.. Different supervisors have different stories. Should be uniformed across the board and at all locations. Don't you think??

Then that makes it all the worst. If they can't even give their customers their real names. He did give me what he said was his phone number and extension. But that number may be false also or ring on the cleaning crews desk. The number that Mr Christopher gave me was 866-284-8989 EXT 6587666

Mar 18, 2019
I'm a little confused. I'm gathering from contextual clues in your writings that your husband is the military member and you are a military spouse. Your husband is the one registered in the military discount program and you are attempting to use his MyLowes card to get the discount (which is allowed according the the policy that has been linked several times in this thread).

What I don't understand is the sequence of events that occurred here.

How did you find out that some kind of policy change occurred? Was it when you attempted to make a purchase? When you went into Lowe's to make your purchase, were you alone or was your husband with you? If you gave the cashier his telephone number, what happened to cause the discount to be denied? Did they ask for ID or something to verify the discount, and if so, what ID did you provide? At the time you found out about the policy change, did you talk to a store manager at all? How did you wind up talking to somebody in the corporate office? Was his number given to you by somebody in the store, or did you call the customer service line?

Help walk us through what happened. Use bullet points and try to keep to the facts.

-- SR

I'm a little confused. I'm gathering from contextual clues in your writings that your husband is the military member and you are a military spouse. Your husband is the one registered in the military discount program and you are attempting to use his MyLowes card to get the discount (which is allowed according the the policy that has been linked several times in this thread).

What I don't understand is the sequence of events that occurred here.

How did you find out that some kind of policy change occurred? Was it when you attempted to make a purchase? When you went into Lowe's to make your purchase, were you alone or was your husband with you? If you gave the cashier his telephone number, what happened to cause the discount to be denied? Did they ask for ID or something to verify the discount, and if so, what ID did you provide? At the time you found out about the policy change, did you talk to a store manager at all? How did you wind up talking to somebody in the corporate office? Was his number given to you by somebody in the store, or did you call the customer service line?

Help walk us through what happened. Use bullet points and try to keep to the facts.

-- SR
* On Sunday April 14, 2019 I used my partner's cell number on Sunday without any problem. He is registered on their site and has been for quite a few years. He was not present at that time. I purchased 25 bags of mulch.
*On Wed. April 17, 2019 I went back to get another 20 bags of mulch. This time when I gave the cashier his cell number. The cashier asked for picture Id. Our last names are not the same. I asked for to call a manager. The head cashier came out to the garden shop and said that the company policy had changed yesterday. Hard to believe so I told her that was find don't give me the military discount and I would be up to the front to get a copy of the policy change. When I got up to the front office, she dug around and made me a copy of an email that said effective April 18, 2019 that the unregistered bar code for military discounts will be removed from all registers. I told her that this memo has nothing to do with my situation. She told me if I have a problem I need to contact customer service.
*I contacted customer service and was told that the names do not have to match. That young lady said that she would open a reference ticket number, and the store manager would call me in 48 hours. So young man named Brandon did call me and said that the policy had changed and that customer service was stupid and didn't know what they were talking about. I told him that I am not going to argue with him about company policy and I am not in charge of training all the customer service reps. But I would call customer service back and have customer service contact him directly, which I did.
When I called back the new young lady said that she would have the real store manager contact me within 48 hours. I waited until Friday April 26, 2019. As the weekend was Easter and the store manager never call me back. The young lady said she would have district manager contact me, the store manager never bothered to call me. To give him 48 hours and the district manager would be calling.
*Never heard from the district manager either.
*On Thursday morning May 2, 2019 I called customer service back and was told the the reference ticket number had been closed out and the remarks said that the Store Manager Mr. Gregory had called me and explained the policy change. I said I have NEVER spoken to the man. And asked to speak to her manager. A man named never Eric got on the phone and told me that the last names have to match. And he told me that I only way to file a complaint was with Corporate and that must be in writing. He gave me an address in Wilkesboro NC 28697
* I sent a email to Marvin Ellison, on Thursday morning after hanging up from customer service and this guy Eric. At 2:01 May 2, I get a call from a Mr. Christopher that tells me he was directed to call me from Mr. Ellison, and tells me that the last names have to match. And that he is the head of the ladder in Corporate, and just the way it is... And that nobody will be calling me back unless Mr. Ellison changes his mind on how he interprets the military policy. He gives me a phone number and extension number for himself. Why would I ever call him back?? Because he was so helpful???
* At 2:30 I get a call from a young man that says he is the District Manager. He was very helpful and gave me his personal contact number to call him if I have anymore trouble at this Ellijay store or any other store for that mater.

brillohead

Verified Member
Sep 21, 2018
* At 2:30 I get a call from a young man that says he is the District Manager. He was very helpful and gave me his personal contact number to call him if I have anymore trouble at this Ellijay store or any other store for that mater.
You say that the District Manager was helpful. Did he confirm that the last names don't have to match? What did he say? You didn't finish your story at this point....

You say that the District Manager was helpful. Did he confirm that the last names don't have to match? What did he say? You didn't finish your story at this point....
He said that he would work on getting a clear interpretation of the company policy. He said if I go back to the store without my partner and have any problem to call him on his cell number. And are you ready for this, he actually called me this afternoon to follow-up... Now that a shock to me... He doesn't know if the last names need to match or not. But I honestly think he will follow up and get a clarification on the policy. I am hopeful.. I did tell him that I appreciate his efforts. But I am not apposed to filing a discrimination suite against Lowe's. But in all honesty I think he is very understanding and working to a just end..

brillohead

Verified Member
Sep 21, 2018
But I am not apposed to filing a discrimination suite against Lowe's.
I'm not sure what type of lawsuit you think you'd be able to file, and I'm pretty sure the tens of thousands of dollars it would cost you out-of-pocket to do so would be worth a discount on 20 bags of mulch.

I'm glad that the District Manager is being helpful. Hopefully he will get you the resolution you seek.

Sep 19, 2015
He said that he would work on getting a clear interpretation of the company policy. He said if I go back to the store without my partner and have any problem to call him on his cell number. And are you ready for this, he actually called me this afternoon to follow-up... Now that a shock to me... He doesn't know if the last names need to match or not. But I honestly think he will follow up and get a clarification on the policy. I am hopeful.. I did tell him that I appreciate his efforts. But I am not apposed to filing a discrimination suite against Lowe's. But in all honesty I think he is very understanding and working to a just end..
What protected class is being discriminated against? Following that train of thought one could easily claim that is it discriminatory that non military do not get the same discount --

What protected class is being discriminated against? Following that train of thought one could easily claim that is it discriminatory that non military do not get the same discount --
Christina, I would stand to reason that any one that spouse has served in the armed forces and did not take the person's last name. That would include professional woman that have chosen to keep their own last name because of their career and independence. And same same sex marriages. Where neither one of the partner have chosen to take the other partners last name. The policy does not say that the spouse must be of the opposite sex.