• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

DirecTV

Jan 15, 2020
My contract has ended my bill went by $65.00 I called the loyalty program she tells me to either cut one of the boxes off or reduced my channels because they don't have any promotions available for me I never been late pay early I'm just don't understand. Can you help me please

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do when a suppliers refuses to give you a discounted price on their services. We have the same problem with Comcast in Florida. There is no other cable company in our area and they know it and they refuse to offer and deals. It’s take it or leave it.

Reactions: jsmithw and VoR61
Sep 20, 2015
The only thing you can do (if this is doable in your area) is to vote with your feet. If there are no other providers in your area providing something comparable, unfortunately you would have to pay the difference. Good luck!

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
A lot of introductory rates or special deals only last a finite amount of time, like a year or two. After that you will usually be charged the regular rate. I get the impression that this is what happened and why there is a payment increase. Are there other satellite providers in your area so you can shop around for a better rate?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
My contract has ended my bill went by $65.00 I called the loyalty program she tells me to either cut one of the boxes off or reduced my channels because they don't have any promotions available for me I never been late pay early I'm just don't understand. Can you help me please
If you tell them you are canceling, a new promotion will miraculously appear.

Nov 27, 2019
Not any more. AT&T is being much more disciplined. They're going to lose about 3 million TV customers this year, because they're no longer willing to keep unprofitable customers.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
Not any more. AT&T is being much more disciplined. They're going to lose about 3 million TV customers this year, because they're no longer willing to keep unprofitable customers.
They raised whatever directv now is called 3 times in 2019. Almost a 50% increase. Cable TV is now cheaper. Guess who's going back to that.

Jun 10, 2019
Not always. It doesn’t work with Comcast.
In my experience it did work with Comcast, but it's a multi-step process. I set a cancellation date 30 days out (giving me plenty of time to call off the cancellation if need be) and the rep on the phone at that time did not offer me anything better. However, about a week later I received an email along the lines of "We'd really like to keep you," and that email provided the number of the retention department, who are the folks who can make much better offers. Their offer for the internet package I wanted was $40 less than the original rep's best offer. One disclaimer is that I do live in an area served by multiple companies--it's possible that if they know Comcast is your only option even the retention department won't help that much. But generally speaking I would try setting an actual end-of-service date as far out as you can, and see what happens from there. Just make a note to call off the cancellation before it happens if you need to!

(Ultimately in my case Comcast couldn't quite match the offer I had from RCN.)

Dec 9, 2016
Idaho
www.travelimages.com
You also have the option by voting with your feet by cutting the cord.

You can use any of the streaming services for shows - Netflix is the Rolls Royce of this group - and use an antenna to pull in local channels in HD . . . which are much sharper than the processed images that degrade satellite and cable fed programs.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

You can use any of the streaming services for shows - Netflix is the Rolls Royce of this group - and use an antenna to pull in local channels in HD . . . which are much sharper than the processed images that degrade satellite and cable fed programs.
An antenna is only as good as where you are located. We tried an antenna for local stations before we signed up with Hulu and only were able to receive one station. An antenna is not the answer in many areas.

Reactions: jsn55 and VoR61

BittyBoo

Jul 30, 2018
I subscribe to CBS All Access and they have an option to watch "live" feed of the local CBS station, thus I can watch local news and programming.

Reactions: VoR61

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
It no longer works with Cox. Our city has AT&T Uverse and Verizon FIOS available too. Nobody on our community website has been successful playing the "cancellation" card with Cox.

Sep 18, 2018
The expression "cutting the cord" really isn't true. Internet service, which is typically required for in-home streaming services, requires a cord. Often, the same provider of TV programming is the same provider of Internet service in many areas.

Where I live (the downtown of a major U.S. city), there is one Internet provider: Comcast. So even if you "cut the cord" for TV services here, you must still use that same provider for the Internet services to get an alternate TV provider. In fact, while I use DirecTV for TV programming because I don't care for Comcast's TV service, I must still use Comcast for Internet.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The expression "cutting the cord" really isn't true. Internet service, which is typically required for in-home streaming services, requires a cord. Often, the same provider of TV programming is the same provider of Internet service in many areas.

Where I live (the downtown of a major U.S. city), there is one Internet provider: Comcast. So even if you "cut the cord" for TV services here, you must still use that same provider for the Internet services to get an alternate TV provider. In fact, while I use DirecTV for TV programming because I don't care for Comcast's TV service, I must still use Comcast for Internet.
We are in the exact same boat with Comcast-Xfinity here in Florida. And they know it and will not bargain with you when your renewal is up.

Reactions: rasalas and VoR61
Apr 10, 2017

Hopefully, that will not be true in the near future. Elon Musk and Amazon are launching satellites for worldwide broadband internet coverage and there is also 5G. While those won't help the OP today, it does offer promise of a more competitive future. I hope that it's a reality before my internet and TV promotional pricing expires.

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
It's hard to tell where it's going to go, but I can almost guarantee you if price is a big thing you're going to be switching around a lot (assuming you can). I got rid of the TV portion of my cable as it cost too much for what I valued it. Then I switched to a streaming service that operated very similar to cable TV. Except now that has gone up in price over 50% in less than 2 years, so now I'm going back to the cable TV provider as their current offering is about $25 less than the streaming version.

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
Hopefully, that will not be true in the near future. Elon Musk and Amazon are launching satellites for worldwide broadband internet coverage and there is also 5G.
We need to be very careful with this. Elon Musk's "Starlink" will require about 12,000 satellites and other systems will add hundreds or thousands of their own satellites. About 250 Starlink satellites have been launched and they have pretty much destroyed earth-based astronomy and their signals are "swamping" out radio observatories. Not to mention the night sky will be filled to manmade constellations of "stars" that are far brighter than natural stars. Maybe the human benefit outweighs all of this, but the point is that they've been allowed to proceed without international discussion and consensus.

Same with 5G...it has not gone through the same safety testing as existing mobile phone standards, and it uses completely new frequency bands. Also cell sites are needed at 200-300 foot intervals so you will be close to a transmitter even in your own home. It may be completely safe, but testing has not been done to prove it.

I'm in the tech industry and not a Luddite by any means! It's just concerning to me that companies are allowed to deploy new technologies without review of possible impacts.

Reactions: krisseye