DirectTV robs single mother at Christmas

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 21, 2016
Last Friday, here just before Christmas Direct TV took the last $340 out of my daughter's bank account for her EX-husband's cable bill. Hmmm..... She is not on this account and he is not on her checking account. However, since she paid it last for him when they were still together they used this account. We have called numerous times. She filed a dispute which was rejected. We have been mislead. we have been flat out lied to more than once. They have been informed of how to find him to collect from the actual debtor, which is quite easy as he is employed by an East Texas Police Department. He will not contact them to resolve his debt because he is too busy entertaining his teenage ( yes it says TEENAGE )conquests which cost him his marriage and a large amount of time with the children. Due to a concerned citizen photographing his " on duty " indiscretions, he was put on 6 month probation. Terms of this probation were not withheld as these on duty activities continued. Evidently police officers can do what they want with whoever they want and aren't held responsible even for their bills. Corporate America or more specifically Direct TV finds it easier, due to policy, to steal the last funds a single mother of two has just before Christmas. Thank you Direct TV for supporting and enhancing the anguish of a mother and two babies by truly sick and immoral behavior. You got your $340, so screw the kids, right.?. Does corporate equal no character, no moral compass, no idea of what is right or wrong? As long as they have their money and he has money to entertain teenage girls that's really where the big picture lies isn't it......

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Whoa! This is far more information than we need to know. I understand that you are frustrated and upset, but this is a consumer advocacy help forum and we really would prefer that only the facts be listed, directly from your daughter.

I agree with Patina, she needs to contact her bank and ask them for help. In our experience, third-party complaints are usually ignored; she is much better off taking care of this herself. Please have her come back to us directly if the bank is unable to help her.

Dec 21, 2016
She has done her part. DirectTV will most likely be able to do this due to their fine line policy. I believe there are many consumers out there that have and will encounter a similar situation with this company. I have already spoken to one person who has been through it. I will not feel bad for expecting people to be decent.

Sep 19, 2015
Way too much information which districts from the issue. DirectTV has no knowledge of the exes's behavior, number of kids, etc and does not care-- they want money that is owed. Your daughter should file an unauthorized withdrawal report with the bank asap. If she has ever paid for any of his other bills she should think of getting a new bank account number so nothing like this ever happens again..

I understand your outrage but this is a battle your daughter needs to fight on her own.As noted above, 3rd party complaints rarely get anywhere.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts for Directrv in our company contacts. Your daughter should write to them using the contacts.

I suggest also that you edit your post to remove much of the info you posted here. I understand your frustration but it is irrelevant to the issue of them taking payment from her account. Her bank wouldn't let her stop payment if the debit to the account? If his name is not in her account and her name is not in the past due bill, I would also suggest she files a complaint with your states Banking Division because they may find the banks has to repay her.

And she should file a complaint with yours states Attorney General and possibly the FCC and FTC.

Dec 21, 2016
The excessive information was for y'all to understand the whole story. So sorry. She has filed everything she can file. DirectTV rejected it. If you pay another persons DirevtTV bill you automatically give them permission to access your funds evidently. She is fighting this herself. I am assisting in getting the word out about what they can and will do. I assumed this was a place that would surely understand assisting someone. She won't go on a website like this, she says its stupid. I told her it isn't because there are people who care and want to know what companies will do. Fact is that she will never get her money back. I am extremely sorry that I expected to see humanity here. Happy Christmas even to you cold fine print individuals.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We are here to offer suggestions to help her. She should file complaints with the AG, the FCC and the FTC and perhaps also contact the State Banking Commission. This doesn't seem right and one of them may get to the bottom of this.

Our directive is to give our writers information on where to go to try and get this fixed. We don't do it for you. If despite contacting all these entities nothing happens, then our writers may see if there is something they can do.

Has she written to the executives at DirectTg or just dealt with customer service?

I am on your side- this is very wrong that Direct tv can do this.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Are you saying that her bank is authorizing/legitimizing the withdrawal?

Again, I suggest taking this up with the bank not DirectTV. This is similar to if an unknown person has unauthorized access to the account, you deal with the bank and not with the thief. The relationship is between your daughter and the bank, not your daughter and the cable provider. Let the bank fight the battle with DirectTV.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sep 19, 2015
To ProtectiveMommie no one is defending Directtv. When I am traveling and forget to pay something online the cell phone cable etc does not take it out of my account. The ex may have changed bank account numbers so they went after your daughter's account. Unless someone signs up for auto withdrawals or has a court order that sort of take the money no notice should not be done. The advice here to go to the bank is a good one and all the other suggestions are to help your daughter know what steps to take.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, this will be a rather lengthy process to finalize. Thanks
I believe that our letter writer is saying that her daughter did go to the bank and it is going to take some time for the bank to investigate? Not sure what this means.

If so I definitely understand the anger for this to happen right before Christmas.

This has been eye opening because I had no idea that many cable companies have something in their contracts that states they can take money from the last person who made a payment. I don't know about anyone else but when I signed up with my cable company they never sent me a copy of a contract and I never would have thought this was in my contract. So this is a bit of an eye opener.

To our writer, the reason we are concerned about what you have stated is that anyone can take the link to this and send it to the police Dept. your ex son in law works for. We don't want to see it come back and haunt you for what you posted.You can actually edit your post and remove the defamatory wording and leave the facts.

No one is on your son in laws side- we all sympathize with your daughter.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Neil is correct. Your ex son in law can actually sue you for defamation for the things you post, especially in this age of internet witch hunts. This is already a rotten situation. We don't want to make it worse.

Now, in regards to his debt. It depends on when the debt occurred and the state you live in. If he got the debt while they were still legally married (I assume at this point they are divorced), then in community property states your daughter can legally be held liable for that debt. The bad news is Texas is a community property state. What your daughter needs to determine is when the ex-husband incurred the debt. If it's after the divorce, she can and absolutely should pursue the matter with her bank, Direct TV and the FCC, and it should be a simple matter of showing a copy of the dated divorce decree.

If he incurred the debt while they were still legally married, Direct TV can collect, regardless of if her name is on the contract or not. What she needs to do in this case is go back to the divorce lawyer and see if this case can be handled in small claims court or needs to go back to the divorce court.

A third option is to contact the ex-husband, explain the situation, and ask him to pay her back for his debt. If this is possible, it's probably the fastest way to collect the money.

It's a rotten situation all around, and unfortunately I don't see it being resolved before Christmas.

Feb 9, 2016
@ProtectiveMommie I am so sorry that this is happening to your daughter, and during the holiday season, none the less! I will also apologize to you if you dont feel supported because comments were made regarding the personal information you posted. This is obviously a very stressful situation for your family and no one is dismissing the validity of the back story, at all.

Please keep us posted as to your approach and we will offer suggestions and advice on the mechanical aspects of the scenario. We all hope this works out positively for your family.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Also, I forgot to add, regardless of if she can pursue Direct TV or needs to go after the ex for the money, she needs to add into her claim any fees she's incurred as a result of her bank balance going to $0. That includes bank penalties, overdraft fees, bounced check fees, etc.

Dec 21, 2016
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will let her know of these avenues. I have covered her funds for now and the bank has advised her that they do intend to refund her soon. People do need to know that this can happen to them also and to take care with who they pay bills to and for. As far as defamation, everything I wrote was completely true and can be proven easily. Thank you for your concerns.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree people need to know and even I learned something new. I had no idea that this is written many contracts.

It's too bad the bank is taking so long to refund. I know my wife had this problem when her checking account balance was stolen from using her debit card. They knew it was fraud but took the days 10 allowed before they credited all the money back.

The FCC should forbid this behavior and she should still file a complaint with them about the unfair practice. I would also suggest she close this account and open a new one so this can't happen again.

Jul 27, 2016
The DirecTV contract is pretty clear on this:

"By giving us your credit or debit card account information at any time, you authorize us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to satisfy any and all amounts due upon cancellation."

I agree with @technomage1 on this - when this debt was incurred is going to be pretty key.