Did Delta just change its policy regarding fees for companions to Gold members?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 17, 2015
My husband and I travel together on the same confirmation code. He has Gold and I have Silver. Up to the last three months, when we tried to get an earlier flight to our destination, we were given seats based on my husband's Gold. Lately, they would be willing to send him but want to charge me $70 change fee. Compare this to upgraded seats where they always upgrade us together. Does anyone have info about this strange change in policy? Perhaps they want him to get back home but leave me in Atlanta for 4 hours. lol

Sep 19, 2015
My husband and I travel together on the same confirmation code. He has Gold and I have Silver. Up to the last three months, when we tried to get an earlier flight to our destination, we were given seats based on my husband's Gold. Lately, they would be willing to send him but want to charge me $70 change fee. Compare this to upgraded seats where they always upgrade us together. Does anyone have info about this strange change in policy? Perhaps they want him to get back home but leave me in Atlanta for 4 hours. lol
It does not seem to be the policy to extend status to a companion for same day change. Some agents may have done it as a courtesy in the past.

So you have gotten lucky in the past. There is a post on flyertalk dating to March 2018 where people discuss paying the fee.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
To directly answer your original question, YES, Delta owns every tiny bit of SkyMiles. They can and do anything they want, with or without notification. Reading your agreement with SkyMiles would help you deal with the whole program. It would also be eye-opening to spend some time on FlyerTalk. I remember that Continental had all kinds of policies but rarely enforced them for their status members. But today, the airlines are out for every single dime. FT members may be able to show you some ways to deal with this policy.